Riggs, just before his suicide attempt

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2010, 11:56 am

The nikon forum I'm on has an Octoberfest event going on. We are using "prime" lenses on our cameras for the month. Those are lenses that are fixed lenth, i.e. not zoom lenses. I have a few of them, all from the 70's that my mom got at a garage sale in an awesome camera case for $20. :shock: (if anyone ever sees Nikon stuff at garage sales or auctions for cheap, pick it up, l'll buy it.) I've been using my "new" camera on full manual, manual exposure, manual focus, manual everything... it's really hard.

So anyway, I took this picture of Riggs with one of my prime lenses...

A few minutes later, I handed him a bone that was in the boat and he was chewing it. I then switched lenses on the camera to my "big lens" (the one I had to purchase this summer when my other one broke) when I sat down next to him, he got all sorts of snotty. Well, I picked up the bone and pitched it over the side.

Dumb crap launched over the side of the boat after it (not to mention, dumb crap pitched a bone off of a moving boat :doh: ). We were going over 20 miles an hour at the time. :shock: He was tied to the side of the boat :shock: :shock: I'm lucky he didn't break his neck on the impact. The water is about 50 degrees. :shock: :shock: :shock: I put the camera down, and reached over the side of the boat and hauled him in. My dad cut the engine immediately, but boats don't exactly just stop. He was swimming hard though. :rolleyes2: Of course, I put him in the boat right on my camera.

So, now Riggs is soaked, camera is soaked, lens is soaked, I'm soaked. All of the above gets toweled off but me... I get to freeze until we make it home in an hour. lol

All's well that ends well!

Pretty picture though...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby AllAmericanPUP » October 5th, 2010, 12:52 pm

crazy dog!!!! glad all is well though lol. nice picture :)
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby maberi » October 5th, 2010, 1:08 pm

That is hilarious. Riggs is such a fun dog :wink:

I have a prime lens at home that I use a lot. I also have an older lens at home my dad gave me that I can't use. I'll have to check to see what it is
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » October 5th, 2010, 1:23 pm

holy crap! Sounds like something Oscar might do.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 5th, 2010, 1:24 pm

:lol3: Glad Riggs made it back aboard ship!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby chewbecca » October 5th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Great photo!

I have a TON of manual focus OLD Nikon lenses. One of my faves is my 105mm f4 lens. I'll see if I can find the photo I snapped of Ella with it.

I also have a 55mm f3.5 manual focus lens and...ack, I'll have to check my spare camera bag to see what else I have.

I took this shot with the 105mm f4

I used that lens to take this picture, too:

Here it is!
I thought it was pretty good considering I used a manual focus lens on Ella when she was barking her ass off at me, and I managed to get a shot this sharp (minus her nose area).

Sorry! Don't mean to bog your thread down with my pics! I just sometimes get excited when people start talking about using manual focus lenses! :D
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » October 5th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Wow, what a story! I'm glad Riggs is okay.

Cool pics from both of y'all.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » October 5th, 2010, 2:02 pm

OMG Michelle!! I'm so glad he's ok, and it is a pretty picture!! lol
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2010, 3:34 pm

The manual focus lenses are a bitch, it doesn't help that my glasses are at war with the diaopter in the camera so that what looks like it's in focus really isn't in focus. I have to use the little green dot in the corner to tell me when it's actually in focus. Those of you with Nikons, I highly recommend the Nikon forum I'm on. There are some amazing photographers on there, I have learned so much from some of the members - and this current project is a lot of fun, and a ton of work as well. It's really pushing me. I took pictures of my sister's kittens, that was a nightmare... the little buggers don't sit still for longer than 10 seconds...

That's a nice picture of Ella, your DOF is quite small, so focusing on her eyes makes sense. You wouldn't have been able to get her nose in focus and her eyes at that f-stop, the hair just in front of her eyes and before her ears is out of the field, I'm surprised that's 4, I would have guessed it was 2.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 5th, 2010, 4:15 pm

OMG I soooo wish somebody had gotten that on video! lmao

I mean, ahem, I'm glad everybody is okay.

:giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby chewbecca » October 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:The manual focus lenses are a bitch, it doesn't help that my glasses are at war with the diaopter in the camera so that what looks like it's in focus really isn't in focus. I have to use the little green dot in the corner to tell me when it's actually in focus. Those of you with Nikons, I highly recommend the Nikon forum I'm on. There are some amazing photographers on there, I have learned so much from some of the members - and this current project is a lot of fun, and a ton of work as well. It's really pushing me. I took pictures of my sister's kittens, that was a nightmare... the little buggers don't sit still for longer than 10 seconds...

That's a nice picture of Ella, your DOF is quite small, so focusing on her eyes makes sense. You wouldn't have been able to get her nose in focus and her eyes at that f-stop, the hair just in front of her eyes and before her ears is out of the field, I'm surprised that's 4, I would have guessed it was 2.

I found my eye to be more accurate than the focus dot on my camera. But I had a lot of practice because when I first got my D60, I had a 50mm f1.8 and it doesn't AF on a D60, and I was always trying to manually focus it while taking full out action shots of Ella. :ROFL2:

I also noticed that with my manual focus lenses that even using my flash unit, my pictures would come out slightly darker.
That's probably why I had my lens opened that wide. :mrgreen:
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Hoyden » October 5th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Holy crap!!! Glad Riggs is okay.

That's one way to test out my dog collars, huh?
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby hugapitbull » October 5th, 2010, 5:35 pm

What a story. Riggs is pretty serious about his bone. :shock: Glad it ended well for everyone.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Hoyden wrote:Holy crap!!! Glad Riggs is okay.

That's one way to test out my dog collars, huh?

Yeah, well, in this case a POS collar might have been better... not that I own any of those! He was at least right there for me to lift right back into the boat, but I have no idea what prevented him from getting his neck broken; well, having a neck the same size as the average bull might be it...

He's a good swimmer, he wouldn't have drowned, it's the snap of him hitting the end of that leash.

I had tied him to the cleat because he was being an idiot and jumping all over the boat earlier and when we were sitting at the dock my dad had to do something with the motor he really wanted to jump in the water and swim. Well, Mr. No-Body-Fat has no business being in 50 degree water.

I know he's sore, he's been extra snuggly the past two days. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » October 5th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Holy crap, poor Riggs! That must not have been a pleasant moment.

Glad the Nikon also fared ok after the shower.

What's the Nikon forum address? I have a Nikon too, and I'm trying the whole all-manual thing (with guidelines from my National Geographic field giude book as my sole source of info, ugh!), and it is hard!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » October 5th, 2010, 9:03 pm

maberi wrote:That is hilarious. Riggs is such a fun dog :wink:

I have a prime lens at home that I use a lot. I also have an older lens at home my dad gave me that I can't use. I'll have to check to see what it is

The lens I have at home that my dad gave me is a Minolta MD: Vivitar 75-205mm F3.5 with what appears to be a Nikon lens adapter on it. Not sure if you can use it, but it is yours if you want it
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby madremissy » October 5th, 2010, 9:20 pm

:shock: Riggs don't scare your Mommy like that anymore.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2010, 9:59 pm

call2arms wrote:What's the Nikon forum address? I have a Nikon too, and I'm trying the whole all-manual thing (with guidelines from my National Geographic field giude book as my sole source of info, ugh!), and it is hard!

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=33538&start=0

:) :) :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » October 5th, 2010, 10:00 pm

maberi wrote:The lens I have at home that my dad gave me is a Minolta MD: Vivitar 75-205mm F3.5 with what appears to be a Nikon lens adapter on it. Not sure if you can use it, but it is yours if you want it

Sure! Thanks!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » October 5th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the forum address!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Next

Return to Gallery and Cinema