My new journey begins...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby madremissy » September 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm

In January I started college for the first time in my life. I had a background with business management and I have worked in the medical field but not hands on.

Scared to death, I went and took the entrance exam at the local college and to my amazement I passed and was accepted to start pre requisites for the nursing program. I was totally on track and had all the classes planned out quarter by quarter in order to finish up by January 2011. That is when the next program was to open up to start the actual nursing classes for the LPN program. I kept hearing that you had to keep a high GPA because that is how the application process was. There is a waiting list at all schools around me and the competition is fierce. The first to sign up and the students who had the highest GPA were to be picked for 30 open positions.

I worked my ass of studying, I knew I had a goal and I really stuck to it. I amazed myself how well I did. I kept a 3.85 GPA throughout. (stupid computer class, the only B I have made) This was a great thing since I haven't been in school in 25 years and let's just say my highschool grades aren't anything I would brag about. So I have these classes behind me with all A's. English, Math, Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, Intro to Healthcare, Nursing Assistant and Drug Calculations.

This brings us to last quarter and I thought I was on the home stretch. I had spaced all classes out so that I wasn't overloaded and I would still be finished by the time my application was to be sent in. WElllllllll, my wonderful school decided that it was time to change from quaters to semesters. They went back and forth several times changing everything around and leaving a lot of the students not knowing what was going to happen.

The final decision was to have a program be available for this fall (2010). That left me with one class short. (Diet and Nurtrition). I was finally told that I could exempt out of the class but after trying to cram a quarter worth of work into three days before I was to try to take the exempt test I decided it wasn't worth the stress and something was telling me that this wasn't the direction I was supposed to go. Maybe becoming LPN just wasn't in the cards for me. I finally let it be and decided to look at other schools and other ways to get into Healthcare. I didn't want to settle on just anything. I wanted to work with patients and help people when they needed it most.

As I was looking at a school an hour away, I was led into the direction of Emergency Medicine. It was a chance thing to run into this person who I spoke with and it all starting clicking. I checked out the program closer to home but was told there was a waiting list so I applied to the school in Macon and was accepted into the EMT/Paramedic program. Lucky again because they were only taking 30 students. Another chance meeeting led me to someone else where the program is at the closer school and I begged my way into that class. So now I am 15 minutes from school and I don't have to worry about my car breaking down on I-75 on my way to macon. If is dies now at least I can take Travis to work and still go to school.

So as of next week I will be starting my EMT/Paramedic program and see where that leads me. I get to do all my clinicals in the ER of several different hospitals and on the ambulances. I can't wait. I always say things happen for a reason but I am just nervous starting something new. After I become a paramedic I can decide whether I want to bridge to RN. Right now I am just taking it one day at a time again.

That is how my life has been lately and where I am headed. I want to thank all my little cheerleadeers who have kept me sane during the last 9 months. Times I doubted, times I was so stressed I was ready to quit. So without you I wouldn't have made it. Thank you for all the encouragement.

Just remember you are never to old to follow your dreams. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » September 29th, 2010, 8:29 pm

A very inspiring story, Missy. You have worked so very hard. I hope everything works out and you achieve all you wish for.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » September 29th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Missy, that is SO amazingly FANTASTIC! Congratulations and best of luck on your new journey!!!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » September 29th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Thanks Shanna and Jen. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » September 29th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Missy, you have amazed me every step of the way!!! I am so proud of you and all the work you have put into your new career goals. Sure, our monthly texting went from 5,200 to a scant 200. :wink: But I knew you had to study and study you did!!!

YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ME TO SET A GOAL AND REACH IT!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » September 29th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Go Missy! You are an inspiration and I wish you nothing but the best on your new journey!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » September 29th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Missy, I think you are awesome! You have rolled with the punches, made smart decisions, and worked very hard to achieve success! Keep up the great work. I've had faith in you all along!!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2010, 9:48 pm

That's fantastic! I'm glad things are working out for you!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 29th, 2010, 10:03 pm

How awesome!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 29th, 2010, 10:16 pm

MISSY! YOU ARE A TOTAL ROCK STAR!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » September 29th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Thanks Liz and Michelle. I am very happy about my future.

Sarah, Remember you can do and be whatever you want to be.

Thanks Allie. :hug3:

Angie, Thanks for the DAILY encouragement and advice along the way.

Joyce, There is no way in hell I would have even started this journey without you telling me to put my big girl panties on and "just go take the damn test" :bitchSlap: :wink:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » September 29th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Just in case you missed the million times I've said it...you are amazing, you were the only one that doubted you, because most of us never did. You can be and do anything you want. Don't ever settle for less than what you want, because you have the skills, the abilities and the know how to do anything!
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » September 29th, 2010, 10:35 pm

:heartbeat: :hug3: :heartbeat: :hug3:

Awwww Diana. My other main suscriber to the "Missy, get over your pitty party and have faith in yourself" group. :wink: You have definitely let me know that I can do anything I put my mind to. AND you were right, one step at a time and one day at time. Thank you.
madremissy

Postby Ino » September 29th, 2010, 10:58 pm

That is so awesome, Missy!! Best of luck with your future career and I am sure it will be just as rewarding if not moreso than your original plan!! Way to go!!! :confetti: :clap:
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » September 29th, 2010, 11:33 pm

You are an amazing woman & I am very proud of you, Missy! :hug3: I can't wait to share in the next step of your journey. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » September 30th, 2010, 6:53 am

Thanks Ino's mommy (sorry I don't know your name :oops: )

Dee, I try to feed off your sensitivy and ability to remain calm. Thanks for being there for me. You know I love you. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby ArtGypsy » September 30th, 2010, 8:20 am

:dance: :dance: :dance:
MIssy, Your Story is INDEED an inspiration to me,because frankly, you and I are similar ages and I'm not sure the younger folks really can 'appreciate' or grasp the different barriers and challenges for us to step off the face of our original map and start repelling down into the unknown.
I am so very proud of you......
GO GIRL!!!!
:wave2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 30th, 2010, 9:15 am

:clap: Thank you for sharing! Very inspiring!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 30th, 2010, 9:30 am

Missy...this is just awesome news, and it's made my day...I have tears in my eyes...I'm so proud of you! :) Congrats, and I can't wait to hear new stories of what you're doing~
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » September 30th, 2010, 10:18 am

Thank you Grace, Kathleen and Erin. :) :) :) Thanks for sticking with me.

I am so ready to get started. I have researched everything about the profession. It is not the best paying job but the rewards will pay off. I just hope that I can help people and help them retain their dignity at the most vunerable times.

I did forgot to mention the most important person in all this :oops: :oops: :oops:
My Travis. Without him it would not have been possible. He is my angel. He has been working two jobs on and off to pay for me to go to school. I have no financial aid so everything is being paid for out of pocket. He cooks (I think that is for his benefit so I don't poison him :rolleyes2: ) while I study and helps so much around the house. I just hope that when I get finished with school I can find a job and he can finally take a much needed break and not have to work as hard.
madremissy

Next

Return to Off-Topic