Kudo's Mr Duke

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » September 29th, 2010, 7:48 pm

I'm sure I will regret bragging, but he is doing so wonderful this week. Sunday I walked him to mom's house for a visit. He walked in a near perfect 'heal' all the way there and back. Once we were there he did his duty and thoroughly investigated the new surroundings, the laid down and patiently waited as we visited.

Monday I had him out walking in the yard late in the afternoon. Our neighbor was sitting on their swing, just a few steps from our property line. I waved and spoke, then asked if I could walk Duke over (since he no longer barks or lunges at the neighbor). We walked over and I kept Duke close to me until he was invited by the neighbor to come closer and say hello. We visited for a few minutes and said goodbye. Didn't want to overstay our welcome!

And today, he had to go to the vet to have a growth on his leg looked at. He was perfect in the waiting room. We took him into the exam room and the tech came in and asked if I would mind if their vet student looked at him. She knows me well, so I told her, it was ok with me, if they were up to the challenge since he isn't real friendly when they are trying to examine him. She came back shortly with the student. She was able to muzzle him with much head shaking. :sad2: She then sat in the floor and held him with a death grip while the student examined him. Duke moaned and groaned. They took the muzzle off and he was all happy and had to greet them again like he had never seen them and nothing had happened. They went out to consult with Dr F.

A few minutes later Dr F and the student came back into the room. Dr F took the leash from me, I thought he was going to take Duke to the back. But, no, he talked to him, petted him and walked him around the room, talked to me and very casually started touching him. In just a minute, he had Duke standing still, without a muzzle and examining the growth. I was in awe. I'm thinking he was teaching the student how to handle a problem dog.

Dr F complemented me on how far Duke has come since his first visit. I'm very proud of him this week. We are continuing to make progress. :confetti: :confetti:

Oh, and the growth is nothing to worry about. Likely a cyst, does not need a biopsy. And he's down 4 pounds in 8 days being on Trouble's diet.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » September 29th, 2010, 8:00 pm

That is SO awesome, you guys have worked so hard!! :cheer:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I think that's awesome that the vet was able to do that!! However, I need to comment on this:
She came back shortly with the student. She was able to muzzle him with much head shaking. :sad2: She then sat in the floor and held him with a death grip while the student examined him. Duke moaned and groaned.

It's very hard to do when you're in the moment, but in the future, I would stop them from doing this. He bounced back quickly, but there is also a chance that he would not. You also run the risk of him being aggressive on sight of a muzzle if he's not trained to take one, and it doesn't sound like he is.

I understand why students need to learn, but tossing a dog in a muzzle and then holding him in a death grip is not good for the dog or the student. I'm so happy to hear that he bounced back immediately from that, but ugh... the risks...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » September 29th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Michelle, I had purchased a muzzle so I could work with him, but it was the wrong size and I returned it. That is one of the things at the top of my to do list now. Get the muzzle and be able to put it on calmly and not have it be a threat - for those just in case moments.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » September 29th, 2010, 8:28 pm

:helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap: :helloClap:

Way to go Shanna. That is such good news and shows what a great job ya'll are doing with Duke. Patience is the key and he is doing so well. I still notice changes in Kinzyl everyday and it has been four years.

So happy for you. Give that beautiful handsome boy a lot of butt scratches from me.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » September 29th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Lucky Duke to be with you!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 29th, 2010, 9:59 pm

What a fantastic update!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » September 29th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Yay! Sounds like you are making lots of progress. I love updates like this!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » September 29th, 2010, 10:30 pm

You and Bob have done amazing things with and for Duke! What a lucky dog.
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2010, 11:03 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Michelle, I had purchased a muzzle so I could work with him, but it was the wrong size and I returned it. That is one of the things at the top of my to do list now. Get the muzzle and be able to put it on calmly and not have it be a threat - for those just in case moments.

Great! :)

When you get your new one, I'd bring it with you, that way it's sized correctly and it's the one he's familiar with. Riggs has gotten them off, and it has caused even more trouble now because the first thing he does is try to pull it off.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ino » September 29th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Congrats to you guys and Duke!! Sounds like he has really come a long way!!! :clap:
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » September 29th, 2010, 11:25 pm

That's fantastic! You've done a great job with him! :clap:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jenn » September 30th, 2010, 4:43 pm

:thumbsup: Yay for all of you!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » September 30th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Good job to all of you!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » September 30th, 2010, 7:30 pm

:confetti: What a great update! Keep up the good work!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » September 30th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Ok, one question for you guys? What is your preference for muzzle and why? The first one I purchased (and returned) was mesh. I realize that probably isn't the most sturdy. My thought at the time was just to use it to get him used to putting it on and having something on his face. Now I'm thinking I might as well go with sturdy in case I have the occasion to need to rely on it. Thoughts?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 30th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I got Inara an iron basket muzzle: http://www.leatherbrothers.com/muzzles/M168C.htm . We tried on several different basket muzzle types and the Jafco plastic one that has holes (it's clear which is kinda cool) but this muzzle was the one that fit her best. The others were either too narrow through the jowls area or she was an in-between size. I like this one because it's very lightweight and doesn't seem to bother Inara much. Probably helps that every time she sees it she gets Squeeze Cheese. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » September 30th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Way to go! That's awesome!

The lady at the pet store yesterday complimented us on what a different dog RObin is now, so I know exactly how you feel. It's pretty great to be so proud of them.

It sounds like Duke's come a really long way.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 1st, 2010, 9:36 am

I use a fabric muzzle for Inara...as that's what the vets use, so if I forget mine, it's not that big of a deal. I had a plastic basket muzzle, but it never fit right....and she kept getting it off.

I want to get her a happy muzzle...http://www.doginthecity.net/product_dealers.html but haven't yet. lol

I also have some adjustable fabric muzzles that I keep in my first aid bag...they pack better than basket muzzles. Just in case.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Pit Bull Talk