Jasmine Jay

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm

I thought I'd start a thread here for Jasmine updates.
Her other thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33790

So, since getting her xray results on Tuesday verifying that Jazzy has multiple metastatic tumors crowding her thoracic cavity, we have changed her meds to prednisone, gabapentin and tramadol. She is also on a cough suppressant on an as-needed basis.
Her coughing is very infrequent which is good. The tumors crowding on her lungs and trachea can cause her to feel like she needs to cough to clear her throat. This mostly happens when she drinks water or when we lift her.
She hops along on three legs since her leg started giving out in May. We have never been able to diagnose the problem, but it seems to be some sort of nerve damage. In all of her xrays, the leg and bone looks normal, so osteosarcoma in that leg was basically ruled out as a primary cancer. Even though she really doesn't use the leg, she does have some control over it and will use it to steady herself when necessary.
Her breathing is not good, but it amazes me that her lungs can inflate at all due to all the masses. The doctor said she really couldn't hear a heartbeat due to the clutter. Her breathing *seems* to have improved slightly this week, but I may be imagining it.

So, since being on 20mg/day of prednisone, her appetite has returned. She mostly wants to eat junk, but that's ok. She has resumed begging for food. Mighty Dog and canned Alpo are our friends lately-- although the gas is unwelcome!!!! Peeeeeeeew!

Jasmine had a little playful streak last night where she grabbed a 2L bottle to chew on in her bed and then later got up to shake her hedgehog around for a minute. She's been lazing around most of the day, but got very happy and vocal when her daddy got home. She dances for us and barks until we come in to the TV room to see her.
She's sectioned off from the other dogs by a baby gate most of the time. Any time they're in a group, the young ones will pick on her. Sid and Shades are allowed time one on one in the TV room, but she's scared of Piper so he stays out.

We've been letting her sleep in bed between us at night, but unfortunately the meds occasionally make her wet the bed when she's sleeping... small price to pay, imo.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » September 25th, 2010, 8:55 pm

So, since being on 20mg/day of prednisone, her appetite has returned. She mostly wants to eat junk, but that's ok. She has resumed begging for food. Mighty Dog and canned Alpo are our friends lately-- although the gas is unwelcome!!!! Peeeeeeeew!

Yay I'm glad her appetite is up, pred can work wonders sometimes - even if it's just for junk food that's still great to hear!

We've been letting her sleep in bed between us at night, but unfortunately the meds occasionally make her wet the bed when she's sleeping... small price to pay, imo.

I concur. Give her some squishes for me!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » September 25th, 2010, 9:12 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:I thought I'd start a thread here for Jasmine updates.
but unfortunately the meds occasionally make her wet the bed when she's sleeping... small price to pay, imo.

The prednisone affects Trouble the same way. You're right, it is something you can live with. Put a waterproof sheet under your regular sheets and keep a fresh set ready to go.

Glad the meds are helping her feel better.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 25th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Where do you think I can get a waterproof sheet? Bed Bath & Beyond?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » September 25th, 2010, 11:21 pm

I'm almost positive I've seen them at BBB. I think I've seen them at Walmart also.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » September 25th, 2010, 11:31 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Where do you think I can get a waterproof sheet? Bed Bath & Beyond?

Yup, I've seen them there. You also might ask about a low dose of Proin for her, it will help tighten up her sphincter and prevent accidents. We had an AB that had spay incontinence and was on Proin, and any time she went on steroids (unfortunately often) we just upped her Proin and that stopped the night time accidents.

Sounds like you are helping her enjoy life to the fullest, that is so awesome. :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » September 26th, 2010, 12:00 am

Target sells them too.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » September 26th, 2010, 3:05 am

I'm so glad to hear that she's eating & playing a little! :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » September 26th, 2010, 6:09 am

The Proin sounds like a good idea, since she will likely be on the prednisone long term, I would ask the vet.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » September 26th, 2010, 6:37 am

My Harley is the PRESIDENT of the MIGHTY DOG CLUB! It is the only food I can get him to consistently eat! Walmart has the best 12 pack prices...about $6.00. And open the case up in the store, because some of them have a $1.00 coupon inside. It seems to be only the beef/chix/pork shredded variety.

With all your love and care, Jasmine will continue to have many more GOOD days. Remember, dogs live in the moment so be sure to live in the moment with her. Every little dance she does, every hedgehog she plays with!
:hug3:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 26th, 2010, 8:29 am

iluvk9 wrote:With all your love and care, Jasmine will continue to have many more GOOD days. Remember, dogs live in the moment so be sure to live in the moment with her. Every little dance she does, every hedgehog she plays with!

Joyce said it so much better than I could have!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 26th, 2010, 8:39 am

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a whole case of mighty dog yet-- we'll see how her tummy takes it first. She was pooping for quite a while last night. Not surprising with all the crap she's been eating. I did get her to eat her kibble with mighty dog mixed in, though. Hopefully that trend will continue.

Jasmine has kind of a rough night with the coughing. Send good thoughts that she'll be feeling better today.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » September 26th, 2010, 9:08 am

Sending lots of good thoughts!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 26th, 2010, 12:44 pm

GOOD THOUGHTS!!!

And btw Mighty Dog doesn't have a warning on the label, but it should: Gas and loose poop!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » September 26th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Good Thoughts for Jasmine today.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby CinderDee » September 26th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Sending lots of :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » September 26th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Tons of good thoughts coming from us, too. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » September 26th, 2010, 6:13 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Where do you think I can get a waterproof sheet? Bed Bath & Beyond?

we got our waterproof mattress pad at TJMaxx - it's not only waterproof, it has a thick layer over the waterproof layer (not all of them do) Any store with a baby department will have them of course, and stores with well stocked junior/toddler bedding sections have them too. They get really hot though, because no air gets through, so we have a regular one on top of the waterproof one and it's noticeably more comfortable that way. Some are also very noisy, so that's something to take into account. Ruby is spay incontinent, and she sleeps in bed with us, so this is old had for me. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » September 26th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Thanks Michelle

I bought an incontinence mattress pad at Target today. It is one of the soft absorbent washable ones. We'll use that and have extra clean sheets in case she keeps having accidents.
Jasmine is having a very sleepy day... coughing a bit but not too bad. Right now she's snuggled on the couch near me & Sidda.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby plebayo » September 26th, 2010, 7:34 pm

It's good to have a sleepy/snuggly day. Still sending lots of good thoughts for you guys.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Next

Return to Canine Cancer