Escape Artist - Could Have Been Bad

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby furever_pit » September 25th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Cairo (the Mal) just escaped from his crate for the first time. I have no idea how he did it, he has no injuries and the crate door is only slightly dented.

I was in the kitchen looking at some pictures from my roommate's recent trip and Dylan was hanging out with us. He ran into the bedroom where Cairo was (I presume he heard what was going on) and both dogs came running out to me. I am VERY pleasantly surprised that there was not a fight. Cairo is a highly dominant dog and he and Dylan have never even met each other - you know apart from being in crates near one another. Dylan is also DR and his mode of operation is to start fights with intact males who walk around like they are in charge and that explanation fits Cairo to a "t".

Anyway, as soon as they came out and I saw them I told Dylan to go to his crate, and he did and he stood there with the door open while I gathered up the Mal. Even stayed in there when I brought Cairo back into the room to put him in his crate.

So...GOOD BOY DYL-WEED!
As for Cairo, you are still awesome. lol
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitsnok » September 25th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Degan has one of those all wire collapsable crates with the plastic tray at the bottom. He figured out that if he just pushes on the door with his head the little slidy locks will flex just enough for the door to open. So now we keep two caribiners one on the top and one on the bottom to keep it locked.

If you have that kind of crate I bet that's what the smart guy did!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 25th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Yay for dogs that didn't feel like making you spend money at the vet today!!! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » September 26th, 2010, 12:08 am

Cairo doesn't stay in a wire crate, he is in a Vari Kennel. I'm thinking that when I fed him I must not have latched either the top or bottom of the pole and he was able to push the door open that way. BOOOO for human error!! Probably going to drill into the frame of the kennel and put a pole on the exterior of the door that goes diagonally so he can't push the door open no matter what.

Liz, you are EXACTLY right. Doc would so not have been happy to get that phone call.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » September 26th, 2010, 12:37 am

Wow what a close call! It sounds like a latch on the exterior of the kennel would be a good idea haha.

How do you keep everyone separate? Is it a pain or do you get used to having the dogs be separate from each other?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby furever_pit » September 26th, 2010, 12:55 am

For me, keeping everyone separate is easy. I mostly crate and rotate but will also use baby gates with some dogs - just depends. Once you develop a schedule and get used to it it is easy I think. I also think that the dogs get something from the added structure as well.

The downside to crating and rotating is that you do have to put more time and effort into making sure everyone gets the exercise (physical and mental) that they need.

In all honesty, now that I am used to keeping the dogs separate I'm not sure that I would have it any other way.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » September 26th, 2010, 1:43 am

I'm so glad that nothing happened to *my* Gator... :shock: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Pit Bull Talk