Chickens

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby mnp13 » September 24th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I spent part of today crawling around Laurie's goat and chicken pens. She has Silky, Ameraucana, and Araucana chickens. The second two breeds lay green and blue eggs (that is the source of the "green" in Green Eggs and Ham.) I'm not a big fan of birds, in fact, flying things freak me out a bit, but some of these chickens are pretty cool looking!!

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » September 24th, 2010, 6:32 pm

They scare me. :shocker:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 24th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Look at their furry legs!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » September 24th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Chickens are good food.

They are a little scary. When I was kid my great grandma would not let us go near the coup because she said the rooster would peck us!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » September 24th, 2010, 8:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:Image

What's my first grade elementary teacher doing on your friends farm??? I would recognize "that look" anywhere! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

When I was five, the rooster on my aunts farm once chased me while I was eating a hard-boiled egg... I tossed the egg and ran for my life. And for the longest time afterwards I assumed that he most likely hated me, because I had been eating "one of his children". :| :sad2:

Turns out that he was just extremely territorial around his hens, and he wasn't above eating a hard-boiled egg himself on occasion. :rolleyes2: :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » September 24th, 2010, 8:14 pm

amazincc wrote:What's my first grade elementary teacher doing on your friends farm??? I would recognize "that look" anywhere!

:lmao: Nice!!

My friend when I was young had a rooster to eat the bugs off her horse...problem was, he wouldn't let anyone near his horse! It would try to shred your legs if you tried to get anywhere near the horse. :bs:
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » September 24th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Those fluffy chicken are cute!

Roosters are nasty business, but some hens are too! I worked with egg layers and roosters during my internship at the end of school... One pecked at my hand totally on purpose while I was pouring feed in his trough.Rhode Island Red hens are naaasty, they wouldn't let you get eggs from under them, and would peck at your legs in the pen. We also had Leghorns, Barred Rocks and Columbian Rocks. The Columbians were a little nasty too.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » September 24th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I asked Laurie if the roosters were mean before I went in there. She said no, none of hers were because "there are too many roosters in the world to keep mean ones around."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » September 24th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Mr. Alaska lived two doors over from us growing up. He had fighting roosters, the real ones. When my parents bought our house, limos and Lincoln Town Cars used to pull up in front of his house and people in suits got out and bought birds. They would leave with them in individual crates.

After a while (late 70's), that stopped, but he always had this really long "chicken house" of individual rooster pens. Of course, we weren't supposed to bother them, and of course, we used to go over and look in the pens - those birds were mean. They would fly at the wire and gouge at us with their feet, and then try to peck us. There were two layers of fencing to the pens so that they couldn't get at each other (or the neighborhood kids.) They sure were pretty though! I remember everyone who ever slept over at my house waking up at 6 am and saying "how do you sleep though all that noise??" I never heard them!

He died in the mid 1990's I think, but he always had his chickens... and a couple of nasty fighting roosters. They never pecked him though.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » September 24th, 2010, 11:28 pm

I've wanted a Silkie for quite a while now. I even went so far as to join a list called "housechickens". :crazy2:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pocketpit » September 25th, 2010, 5:27 am

Love the goat/chicken shot!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 25th, 2010, 7:00 am

amazincc wrote:What's my first grade elementary teacher doing on your friends farm??? I would recognize "that look" anywhere! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

LMAO
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » September 25th, 2010, 9:15 am

pocketpit wrote:Love the goat/chicken shot!

Me Too!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 25th, 2010, 9:27 am

Did you get to bring home any eggs? Does anyone know if they taste different when they are different colors?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 25th, 2010, 11:55 am

PetieMarie22 wrote:Did you get to bring home any eggs? Does anyone know if they taste different when they are different colors?

We get all our eggs from Laurie. They don't taste different from color. They taste different because they are fresh (eggs in the store are weeks old), they are not steralised, and the chickens eat correct food.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 25th, 2010, 3:31 pm

When I was a kid my dad and his brother's had an egg farm. Chickens are the only birds I dont mind being around...... and turkeys. All other birds can go straight to hell.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » September 25th, 2010, 6:03 pm

You're crazy, turkeys are more scary than chickens. I was at a rescue/nature center somewhere in the US and they had a unrehabilitable wild turkey. I was nicely discuccing/gobbling with her when she tried to kill me through the fence. And let's not talk about geese, those are really nasty. They can apparently break bones when they flap their wings at someone.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » September 25th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Those pictures are AWESOME Michelle :shock:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby madremissy » September 25th, 2010, 7:39 pm

The chickens around here don't look anything like those :shock:

Pretty pictures, I love the white ones.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » September 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm

cheekymunkee wrote: All other birds can go straight to hell.
8) Oh, Debbie....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members