Happy 7th Birthday to *my* Inara...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 24th, 2010, 10:50 am

Seven years ago, a little red merle Aussie was born in a Missouri puppy mill. From there she was sent to New Jersey to be sold to unsuspecting people...and she was. She was sick, and not mentally stable from day one. They named her "Daphne". The original buyers couldn't deal with her, so they gave her to a family friend. The family friend couldn't deal with her, so they gave her to another family, and Daphne moved to Virginia. This family had better luck with her, but she was chasing the guinea hens that they kept, so she couldn't stay there. They contacted Aussie Rescue...and gave her up.

The foster home kept her for a while...but they were having trouble with this little girl too. She was a year and a half old, with no manners and a lot of issues. The rescue posted her photo and bio online, without much hope for a suitable adopter. They were ready to have her humanely euthanized.

I lost my heart dog, my basset hound in December...Christmas Eve. I was heartbroken...and couldn't come out of my depression. By January, I was surfing the Aussie rescue sites...looking for a project dog, to take my mind off of my grief. I found Daphne's photo and bio. She was lying in a baby pool...she was a red merle. I had always wanted a red merle, and I had always wanted a dog that would lie down in water like that...so I contacted the rescue rep. I got an earful about Daphne...and the more I heard, the more I was convinced that I had to have her in my life. Trouble was...I was leaving for a month-long trip in Key West. The foster home needed her out, ASAP. I somehow convinced my sister to take this dog into her home as a temporary foster home...my sister had no dog at the time, and lived in a white-carpeted apartment. I will always be grateful to Lauren for doing this.

I met Daphne once before I left...she barked and cried, and wouldn't come near me...but she loved my dogs. I went to Key West, and offered condolences to my sister when she'd call and complain about the lack of housetraining, the paint-peeling bark, and the other assorted issues.

I came home from KW, picked up Daphne and went home. I re-named her Inara, for the courtesan character from "Firefly" the TV show...a strong woman that knows what she wants. I went home with a list from the first foster home...the good stuff came first, though it was a pitifully short list:

Daphne
*Sweet, affectionate
*playful great toy drive
*soft mouth with treats
*good with small dogs
*athletic and agile, and incredibly fast
*settles

*aggravates other dogs, especially alpha bitches
*no bite inhibition (very serious in a fight)
*hyper-reactive to strangers (barking, fur up on hackles and haunches, runs away, will freeze and whale eye if can't run away)
*barrier aggression (showed marked improvement until the first fight)
*micro attention span (20-40 seconds while training
*can be frantic if separated while you are around, fine in crate otherwise
*not housebroken
*loud barker
*counter surfer, practiced thief
*no leash manners
*prey drive (especially if animal is being held)
*requires 1 1/2-2 times normal amount of food
*appreciates things to chew on during quiet time
*rescue remedy helped when she paced

I definitely had my hands full with her...and we had a long road of recovery. She was absolutely crazy for the first year or so...and I gave her my all. My flyball teammates have told me recently that they thought that *I* was crazy for having adopted her. Especially after sweet, placid Harding (my basset) had just died. But I knew that Inara was keeping me sane, in a funny turn of events.

Now, 5 1/2 years later, as she's become such a wonderful, wonderful, girl...I have to remember not to take her lovely behavior for granted. I still thrill with excitement when she makes new friends, even though it's so much easier for her now. There are still issues that were on the original list that are problem behaviors...she still counter surfs, but it's much better now...and she doesn't steal anything from the open pantry shelves. She still has a touch of barrier aggression in her crate (but she's rarely in a crate). She is a loud barker but it's rare to hear her bark now.

She's accomplished so much over the years with me...she is a fantastic flyball dog, and earned her Flyball Dog Grand Champion 40K title this past year. She is an accomplished disc dog (though we have yet to compete...no time!). She earned her Canine Good Citizen (yes! letting a stranger pet her! HUGE!) She has tons of friends, and doesn't immediately get scared by new people. She dosen't bark at the mail carrier! She's helped me raise countless puppies and helped me train numerous foster dogs.

I can't imagine life without her...Happy Birthday to my most wonderful girl. I love you, Inara!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » September 24th, 2010, 11:06 am

WOW! That was some bio! :shock:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, INARA! You certainly lucked out finding the perfect home!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » September 24th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Happy Birthday Inara
Even if people say you're crazy I love you!!!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » September 24th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Happy Birthday Inara!

What an awesome story, Erin. I had no idea, thought she had been perfect from day one :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » September 24th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Happy Birthday Sweet, Beautiful Inara. So glad you came into Erin's life.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 24th, 2010, 3:32 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Happy Birthday Inara!

What an awesome story, Erin. I had no idea, thought she had been perfect from day one :shock:

lol ...*wiping tears from eyes* Oh no...she's still a handful, but I wouldn't have her any other way!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby AllAmericanPUP » September 24th, 2010, 3:40 pm

happy birthday sweet girl!!!!!!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Pit♥bull » September 24th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Happy Birthday Inara! :)
Keep on keeping mom on her toes, that's why we love em. :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 24th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Happy birthday to the "other" Inara!!! She lucked out when she found you. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » September 24th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Happy Birthday pretty girl! You've come so far!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Ino » September 24th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Happy Birthday, Inara!! Sounds like she really came a long way!! That is awesome!! :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » September 25th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Happy Birthday Inara!
So glad she found you Erin.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » September 25th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Happy Birthday Inara!!
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby kera09 » September 25th, 2010, 9:38 pm

i laughed and almost cried at that story! shes so lucky to have found you :) happy birthday inara!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » September 26th, 2010, 3:23 am

What a great story!

Happy Birthday Inara!!! :confetti:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to Off-Topic