Your Terrible Ten?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby plebayo » September 23rd, 2010, 12:36 am

I was randomly trying to find bite statistics and found someone had a "Terrible Ten" list.

What would your Terrible Ten be in terms of your experience with biting dogs? It seems like Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds are always in the top 10... I just thought it would be interesting to see what we as Pit Bull fans think the list should comprise of.

Just going off of Veterinary Experience alone:

10.) Labrador Retriever
9.) Corgi
8.) German Shepherd
7.) Springer Spaniel
6.) American Eskimo
5.) Miniature Dachshund
4.) Rhodesian Ridgeback
3.) Rottweiler
2.) Shar-Pei
1.) Chihuahua

This thread is not to bash breeds at all, I just thought it might be interesting to see what breeds pop up based on dog owner personal experiences.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » September 23rd, 2010, 1:00 am

You mean our own personal experience?

I haven't been bitten ten times, so... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » September 23rd, 2010, 6:33 am

1. My Golden, Lenny. Never gave a warning. He would just turn and bite.:rolleyes2:
2. A GSD mix at the shelter. He happily walked into his crate, turned and lunged at me full force, and got my hand.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 23rd, 2010, 7:04 am

Only been nipped by a chihuahua but a mastiff lunged at my face.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » September 23rd, 2010, 8:35 am

From vet, groomer, and ACO experience:

1. COCKER SPANIELS by far

2. Wheaton Terriers and Kerry Blue Terriers (I've yet to meet one that isn't a nasty bastard and there are a LOT of them in this area)

3. Chows (only came across a few, but every single one was snappy)

4. Scottish Terriers

5. Shar Pei

6. Doberman

I've only been bitten maybe three times, but the worst bite I ever personally received was from a husky mix -- tore the crap out of my elbow. The vet office was trying a "doggy daycare" program and had some irresponsible kids watching the dogs and a war broke out between the husky, a pit mix, and a couple of lab mixes. I jumped in to stop it while the kids just stood there, and one of the kennel workers who helped stop the fight got bit by one of the dogs, too.

The worst bite I ever saw happen was a well-known INSANE Wheaton Terrier who went after his groomer when the groomer put him on the table. The groomer ended up having 30+ stitches put in his lower abdomen and hip, and his hand. Owner refused to allow us to sedate the dog or use a muzzle because the dog "wasn't that bad". After this incident, we refused service to the owner and he took the dog elsewhere because we obviously "couldn't handle him".
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 23rd, 2010, 9:21 am

Hahahaha!
Dogs I've been bitten by:
My grandmothers doxies, many times when I was a kid and messing with them, especially her male
My beagel mix mutt I had growing up. (He was a "kids" dog for about 9 years, then he just had enough!) :twisted:
I know my boyfriend got bit right in his calf by a poodle last year.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 23rd, 2010, 9:52 am

It can just be dog experience in general - you don't have to have personally been bitten. I mean, I think a lot of these lists in general are based off of stereotypes, so if you wanted to make a list just based off of your own ideas of the breeds that's cool.

That's so crazy about Wheaton Terriers! We have a handful that come in for grooming and have never been evil, I had no idea they had a reputation!

In the clinic I work at I've only had one bad dog bite. It was a Greyhound, he was my favorite patient [he has since passed away] the doctor tried to get pee by poking the dog's bladder, the dog flipped out and grabbed my arm. None of us were really prepared for THAT to happen. LOL.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby copperlegend » September 23rd, 2010, 10:00 am

I am wary of black labs. One bit me as a small child, and chased me all over the neighborhood before someone noticed and called my parents.

Also not a fan of dobermans, my neighbors had one as a child, he was 'trained' to 'keep their daughter safe' at the stable, AKA look scary and aggressive to everyone but family. He was one mean SOB. One time he took off running towards our house because he saw me playing in the sun room through the patio door. He ran right into the door, growling and snarling. A few weeks later he bit the owner HARD. He went to the vet and never came back. I suppose it was better than dumping him at a shelter and having his life end in a possibly less kind way.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amalie79 » September 23rd, 2010, 10:07 am

Can I include a cat in this list? The nastiest bite I've ever had was from a cat-- and when I asked the doc about rabies (she was feral), he said, "Huh. I don't know if cats can get rabies..." :shock: :shock:

My lab/English Setter Simon-- he was always good to me (before the old age senility), but not always to other people.

Whippet. One used to chase me around the neighborhood on my bike and bite my shoes.

Sharpei-- neighbors had a biter.

JRT.

I've also seen a pretty cranky shihtzu. But I think he was just undersocialized-- their other dogs-- silkies and yorkies-- are super sweet to people they know, but can be really snarly little yippers to strangers.

But the only dog that's ever made contact and broken the skin was a German Shepherd-- but I was a little kid who was told in no uncertain terms that he was not always nice and I was NOT to go into his kennel area. Yeah, so I did. I learned a lesson. :doh:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 23rd, 2010, 10:19 am

amalie79 wrote:Sharpei-- neighbors had a biter.
[
My boyfriend had one that was given to him because it would protect the families children to the point that it would try to chomp the heck out of anyone that came to their house. Once it got used to my boyfriend, it protected him like that as well. It was a proctector.

amalie79 wrote:Huh. I don't know if cats can get rabies..."

WHAT??? :? :shock: Stay away from that vet!
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am

1. Toy/mini poodles

2. Cocker spaniels

3. Cockapoos

4. Jack Russell Terriers

5. Dobermans

6. German Shepherd mixes

7. Chihuahuas

8. miniature dachshund

9. Boston terrier

10. angry cats

I've personally been bitten by Sawyer (Aussie), Doberman (worst one), Cocker, poodles, cockapoos...the rest were all pretty serious attempts.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » September 23rd, 2010, 10:36 am

PetieMarie22 wrote:
amalie79 wrote:Sharpei-- neighbors had a biter.
[
My boyfriend had one that was given to him because it would protect the families children to the point that it would try to chomp the heck out of anyone that came to their house. Once it got used to my boyfriend, it protected him like that as well. It was a proctector.

amalie79 wrote:Huh. I don't know if cats can get rabies..."

WHAT??? :? :shock: Stay away from that vet!

No no! This was a PEOPLE doc! I was bitten trying to trap a feral cat to take it in for shots, etc. If we were going to have strays, I at least didn't want them infecting the rest of the neighborhood. The cat bit, latched on, I was slinging my hand all over the place and it would. not. let. go. Anyway, I was getting my tetanus shot and making sure I didn't need to do something for myself-- shots, quarantine the cat, whatever. :doh: :doh:

I never did go back to that guy. If he's not aware that cats are mammals, I'm not sure I want him anywhere near me.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby LMM » September 23rd, 2010, 10:48 am

I've only been bitten a couple times (both when I was a kid) but snapped at plenty of times:

1. Boxer - bit me in the ass

2. Chis - snapped at plenty of times

3. Min Pin - just last night in fact. I was standing talking to his owner, basically ignoring him. He started to sniff me, he growled, he lunged. Little bastard.

4. Fox terrier mix
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 23rd, 2010, 11:39 am

amalie79 wrote:This was a PEOPLE doc!

Oooooohhh!! But still kind of weird they didn't know that.
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » September 23rd, 2010, 11:47 am

1. Chihuahua
2. Lab
3. Doberman
4. Miniature Schnauzer puppy :giggle:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby airwalk » September 23rd, 2010, 12:19 pm

Interesting, all but one Dobie I've come across would rather run and hide or love up than bite.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » September 23rd, 2010, 12:29 pm

hmm... I haven't actually been bitten (or seriously causing any more then a scrape) that much by dogs.
The dogs at work are quite edgy and I have to watch myself in certain situations, but thats a product of their environment and management.
When I worked at the vet.
LOTS and LOTS of small dogs, they were the only ones I recall actually being able to nail me, because they really don't have far to go to anywhere on their bodies.
-Shih Tzus
-Dachshunds (mini or otherwise)
I didn't see a lot but I only ever met one "nice" Amer. Eskimo that I recall, the rest were nasty or nasty and nuts
-Chihuahuas
-Huskies. Lots of nasty Huskies.
-Shiba Inus. We had one I can recall who came in nice, and when he woke up from his neuter, he went koo koo.
-Corgi
-various small terriers. The shaggy ones are the worst because you can't see their eyes.
-herding breeds in general seem less pain tolerant and more sensitive and therefore are more likely to get upset, but I'm not sure if I'd say bite. Most dogs do warn a fair bit first...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » September 23rd, 2010, 4:22 pm

Spitz mix, but it was my own fault... :oops:

Anything under 15 lbs. or so tends to make me more cautious when interacting - and owners of anything under 15 lbs., who say their snarling, charging beasts are "just playing and sooo cute and can't/won't really hurt you even if they do bite" make me wanna slap the snot out of them. >(

The kid who moves my lawn showed me some puncture wounds on his ankle last week from the little yappers up the street... and those bites looked PAINFUL. :shock: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyPuppy » September 23rd, 2010, 4:41 pm

My BIL's cocker spaniel has drawn blood on me (not in play) 2 or 3 times - I do not like that dog or try to pet it anymore.... I don't have any other bite experiences, tho.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby BullyLady » September 23rd, 2010, 4:59 pm

From working at a vet's office..... I can't really make a top 10 list but I can make a #1 and a #2

#1 is by FAR Dachschunds, I have been bit SO many times by them! Nasty little effers......
#2 would probably have to be Cockers, those dogs are off their rockers on the whole.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk