Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby plebayo » August 6th, 2010, 8:31 am

amazincc wrote:I'm all for "stretching the truth a bit" when it comes to making decisions based on what's the most compassionte and kindest thing to do in a terminal case... I'm with you 110%. I bet Sofie is goind to LOVE living w/you again. :D :D :D

Pizza... YAY for a good day, and being able to smell THAT! lol

Hang in there, both of you. :hug3:

I was really shocked she could smell it, I mean she got right up in my grill and was pretty much like... "Dude, give me some!"

Thanks for the support, I think she will be much happier with me. Not to say my parents don't rock but I think she likes being with the other dogs and like being a part of something, like we get up go to work, and come home. Where at my parents she pretty much just sleeps all day and goes outside a few times.

iluvk9 wrote:Hey....you have all of our permission to LIE YOUR ASS OFF, if it helps Sophie! :)

Sorry she is having a few bad moments again. I know how frustrating it gets, and how you start thinking of all the new variables that might have added to the change.

Hang in there, Suzy-Q! :groupHug:

It really is frustrating. I worry sometimes that the end is going to come suddenly. Like the other day when she was acting funny she was shaking, but I immediately was thinking 'Is she trembling?' like is she having some uncontrollable focal seizure? Luckily of course she wasn't, but it definitely sucks when she's having these bad, not wanting to eat moments where your mind wants to think the worst every time.

Thank you for the support :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Patch O' Pits » August 10th, 2010, 2:39 pm

HUGS!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby plebayo » August 10th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Again, thank you all for the support, you all mean the world to me and my crew :)

I will be moving Sofie in after this weekend, so Monday. I'm going to take pictures just because I haven't taken pictures of her in some time. I also wanted to update because I got my NCCF [national canine cancer foundation] bracelet Saturday along with a magnet for my truck! Saturday there was a big fundraiser for one of the dog parks, Seth and I went to meet a woman who runs the Portland chapter for NCCF. I'm going to volunteer my time to help her with her booth when I can and help raise awareness and money for research. She lost her lab to hemangiosarcoma - pretty much the day her dog got sick was the day she had to euthanize her and like me, her own cancer story got her wanting to join in the fight. Her other lab has mast cell tumors, luckily just grade 1. I'm really excited to be a part of something positive like this, and excited to spread the word. A few weeks ago in one day we had 3 cancer diagnoses' at work, bone cancer, mast cell tumor in an eye, and lymphoma. Totally not cool.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » August 11th, 2010, 5:28 am

Kudos to you for volunteering for NCCF. :)

Good luck with the move! Give Sophie a hug from me.

P.S. I'm so tired of cancer! :cuss:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Tubular Toby » August 11th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Hey, it's been awhile!
It's nice to read Sophie updates. I have her in my thoughts. <3
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » August 14th, 2010, 1:44 am

Well Sofie scared the absolute poop out of me today.

I moved Sofie a little early and unfortunately even with the rescue remedy she's been a nut bar. She has settled in just fine at the house but taking her to work she's - two days in a row - had major anxiety in her kennel. I gave her 10mg of ace this morning because it started as soon as I put her in the kennel. It didn't really do anything so i gave her another 5mg which did knock her out. When I went to let her out to potty over my lunch break she was unsteady which is pretty normal for her on ace, even with a low dose it usually sedates her for a good 24hrs. She made it into the store and then totally collapsed, she was breathing heavily through her nose and when I looked at her eyes she had nystagmus, I went to scoop her up and she went stiff and her head flopped back. I've had two experiences where a dog stretched out like that and quit breathing so I rushed her into the treatment area. The dr on today looked at her, her eyes were back to normal and her heart sounded fine, she was pale initially but her color came back, blood pressure was normal. I went to take her outside again, she walked through the clinic just fine, when we went outside she immediately spotted a huge chunk of tamale in the parking lot and stole it - which i stole from her. She's acting just fine now but man was it scary.

Pretty much no more ace, thinking of taking her for a long walk before work in the morning [what is long for her anyway]. Maybe the tumor is touching her brain and the ace made it angry, idk, but it was a very bizarre episode.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » August 14th, 2010, 9:08 am

Well, thank heaven's you are knowledgeable in the medical stuff. :shock: I know your emotions kick in, but at least you don't totally lose it when things like this happen.

:groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » August 14th, 2010, 10:16 am

Oh Suzanne! I'm so sorry you and Sofie had that scare. Do you think could have been a seizure?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 14th, 2010, 10:24 am

How frightening! It's so nice that you're able to take her with you to keep an eye on her.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » August 14th, 2010, 11:09 am

HappyChick wrote:Oh Suzanne! I'm so sorry you and Sofie had that scare. Do you think could have been a seizure?

That's what I am leaning towards, with the nystagmus and the going stiff - plus the way she was breathing at the time. She's never done anything like this before, that I have seen. Of course she could have done it at my parents and they just haven't seen it. I'm hoping that's not the case and that this had something to do with the sedative.

She's been really great otherwise at my house. My parents said they didn't feel the piroxicam helps with the sneezing, she has hardly sneezed at all at my house and when she has it isn't the hard ones that she usually does.

I am truly greatful and lucky she can come to work with me and I am able to watch her. Plus it's always nice having access to a dr's brain when I need it haha.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » August 15th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Sofie is 100% back to normal. One of the technicians suggested that maybe she's on the borderline of having seizures and the ace lowered the threshold so she could have one... I'm not sure but I'll definitely be watching her really closely.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » August 16th, 2010, 8:36 am

Good news! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm

Well, cats get Fancy Feast when they get picky... Sofie is getting Pedigree...

She seriously even turned down a can of EVO!

Apparently, she likes her junk food and I'm supporting the habit as long as she'll eat it!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 3rd, 2010, 9:33 am

plebayo wrote:Well, cats get Fancy Feast when they get picky... Sofie is getting Pedigree...
Apparently, she likes her junk food and I'm supporting the habit as long as she'll eat it!

I won't even tell you all what Harley is eating.... :shocker: But like you said, they ARE eating and some people think nothing of feeding it to their dogs. (No, it isn't Ol' Roy...but.....)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 18th, 2010, 2:05 am

iluvk9 wrote:
plebayo wrote:Well, cats get Fancy Feast when they get picky... Sofie is getting Pedigree...

I won't even tell you all what Harley is eating.... :shocker: But like you said, they ARE eating and some people think nothing of feeding it to their dogs. (No, it isn't Ol' Roy...but.....)

haha yeah it's really tough but I definitely think the fact they are at least getting SOME kind of nutrition is better than nothing at all.

Which... YAY Sofie is eating crunchy food! I decided to just try and give her dry food this morning and she ate it! I am feeding my dogs Chicken Soup just because it's a better food for better cost, would love to go back to canidae but it's gotten so pricey. She ate a cup this morning and a cup tonight! I am very happy and hope she continues to be open minded :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 18th, 2010, 8:47 am

Sofie is open-minded about her food.... :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 22nd, 2010, 10:00 am

iluvk9 wrote:Sofie is open-minded about her food.... :giggle:

LOL

She's been kind of testing my patience. She's been eating the dry until about last night... you can tell she's like :| "I know there's alpo in the cupboard..." Tonight I'm going to mix some canned with the kibble and see what she does. She's just plain picky, I've totally created a monster :p But at least I know she's a happy monster!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 22nd, 2010, 3:19 pm

Been there, done that! 8) Harley has become even more finicky. I try to sneak some of the good stuff into his dish and he sniffs, looks at me and walks away. The way I look at it, someone, somewhere loves their dog very much... and feeds them Mighty Dog. AND their dog will live to 17. :doh:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » September 22nd, 2010, 3:26 pm

iluvk9 wrote: The way I look at it, someone, somewhere loves their dog very much... and feeds them Mighty Dog. AND their dog will live to 17. :doh:

SO true! lol
Daisy was raised on some truly crappy food because I didn't know that there were other options than buying it at a grocery store. I was very happy when Beneful came out, because it "seemed" healthy... ya know... because of the little green pieces that look like peas??? :oops: :P
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » September 22nd, 2010, 11:22 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Been there, done that! 8) Harley has become even more finicky. I try to sneak some of the good stuff into his dish and he sniffs, looks at me and walks away. The way I look at it, someone, somewhere loves their dog very much... and feeds them Mighty Dog. AND their dog will live to 17. :doh:

Hahaha I would agree with that! Wow the big 17, any special birthday plans!?! Perhaps a Mighty Dog cake?! :p

amazincc wrote:Daisy was raised on some truly crappy food because I didn't know that there were other options than buying it at a grocery store. I was very happy when Beneful came out, because it "seemed" healthy... ya know... because of the little green pieces that look like peas??? :oops: :P

We did something similar, when we got Sofie 12.5 years ago we fed her kibbles n bits - ya know, cause the orange stick pieces were carrots!

Tonight I mixed some of her canned with a full cup of dry dog food and she ate the whole thing! She's starting to gain weight [finally!]. She was down to 23lbs and is up to 24.2 today. I'd like to get her back up to 26lbs at the very least. I'm excited because some important dates are coming up, September 30th it will be a year since official diagnoses, I think she's technically in remission because there is an "absence of disease activity" IE: it hasn't really grown, October 2nd it will be a year since her first chemo treatment, and of course October 31st she's going to be 14yrs old! I remember when I just wanted her to make it to 13 last year, I can't believe she's going to be 14!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer