Spirulina

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 10th, 2006, 11:34 am

is this good for dogs? yes? no? why???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » May 10th, 2006, 12:02 pm

I give it to my dogs sometimes... I get it from the health food store, it's really cheap. It's VERY fishy smelling!
From B-Naturals
This tiny aquatic plant is a natural source of organic phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, amino acids, chlorophyll, vegetable protein, carbohydrates, digestive enzymes and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). High in vitamin B-12, Spirulina lowers cholesterol, increases energy, and promotes healthy nerves, skin and coat.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 10th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Hmm. Interesting. We feed this to our fish.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » May 10th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I was just about to mention that :lol3:

lots of people eat it, too.

I can't see how it would hurt...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby concreterose » May 10th, 2006, 1:47 pm

One thing I noticed when I fed it, after a couple weeks, Vicki didn't have 'morning breath' anymore. SHe also had less gas. I rotate between green supplements since I don't feed may veggies. I'm giving them alfalfa now. They still have fresh breath, but it doesn't do much for the gas LOL
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 9:46 am

the pet store that i use asked me if it was bad, as she was going to get some in to sell, and someone told her that the new thing now is that its not good for dogs and is toxic...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » May 11th, 2006, 11:45 am

Algae (wich is what it is) shouldn't be toxic!?

I'm not sure what to think about that...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 11:55 am

i think the guy just didnt know what he was talking about.. i feed the spirulina to my pleco, and he is just fine.... i thinkthe guy was just a regular person who doesnt know much, and just figured the word sounded toxic or something.. its in alot of dog food too, so if it was toxic that means that alot of companies have to take it out of the food
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 11th, 2006, 12:11 pm

I used to drink a drink (Naked maybe . . . or some other Naked-esque juice mix) that has Spirulina in it.

Yeah, that's my only input. I fail today.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health