At least it wasn't worms...I think!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby HappyPuppy » September 15th, 2010, 11:26 am

Ok, so Ruby made a poop yesterday and when I went to clean it up...and then I saw a couple of worm-like things that I immediately thought looked like 'maggots'. So I'm thinking great - we have worms. I grossed out for a moment and then came on here to look up worms and then on to the internet for more pix. I'm figuring they are tape worms (tho they were not moving) and I was planning my trip to the vet and then prolly some treatment for me since I get a lot of unsolicted french kisses from the Rubinator.... But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking those really look like maggots!! Then, after awhile of fretting, I remembered that Ruby has been raiding my tomato plants - most of the plants had died and I had left the tomatos on there and they are starting to rot. Previously, the flies will lay eggs that turn into maggots and they make 'THAT' unmistakeable smell (which I have been smelling). So, THIS time, I think she ate a tomato that had those in there and just pooped them out. She made a poop this morning that was as perfect as a poop can be and no other evidence of 'worms'. They did not look like the squarish tape worms that I say on my neighbor's cat poop awhile ago. I am sooo relieved as we have not yet had to deal with worms, tho I am continuing to watch. (she's on Interceptor, which I know doesn't catch tapes - and she did catch a rat the other day - ugh - but so far, I think it was a false alarm with actual maggot - LOL!)! :puke:
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » September 15th, 2010, 1:04 pm

ew ew and ew.

you may want to see if you can pick up some tape wormer, just to be safe ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby HappyPuppy » September 15th, 2010, 1:24 pm

I was thinking that - is there anything OTC so I don't have to go in? Also just opened 2 yucky tomatoes in the yard and the maggots are identital to what I saw that were just 3 non-moving 'things'.... Eeewwwwww!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » September 15th, 2010, 4:02 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I was thinking that - is there anything OTC so I don't have to go in?

I think it depends on the laws where you live. I know you could buy tapeworm pills OTC in NY, but when I worked at a pet shop in Fl a few yrs ago, we were not allowed to sell any dewormers. When Ino ate a mouse, our vet gave us a prescription but he told me to wait *I think* 10 days (give or take a few) due to the incubation period (if he ingested an egg, to wait for it to hatch so the worm would be paralyzed and passed ). I just found the empty bottle- he prescribed Ino a pill called Cestex.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » September 16th, 2010, 3:30 am

it'll probably be by weight, so, you'll most likely have to go to the office. Depending on the Vet, they may be willing to go for it without an exam.
Any of the OTC wormers I've seen here are, -pardon-, crap, and I wouldn't waste my money on them. (and I used to work in a pet store myself)

In my experience when there was question as to weather or not Oscar might have a worm (never ever seen one! touch wood), we gave the wormer and then again 2 weeks later.
Oscar takes Interceptor, because we're out hiking a lot a Racoon Roundworm is nasty nasty stuff.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Off-Topic