DSO 2010 Advanced, Roaring Twenties

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby madremissy » September 15th, 2010, 6:00 am

Hundilein wrote:
amazincc wrote:Some day, maybe. :)

Like next year, maybe? Missy and I will pick you up on our way. We will have to rent a van to fit all of the dogs, but that's do-able.

A van??? We are going to need a bus! :D I think it would be awsome. I really am interested and I hope it works out with my school schedule. I am not sure how the Princess will do but we can try. I think if Sarah is there she would pretty much do anything she ask :) :) :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » September 15th, 2010, 10:52 am

It's so much fun...even if your dog craps in the ring (literally) or flies around you on the leash like he's never heeled before in his life...:D Don't worry that your dogs can't or won't do something...it's fun BECAUSE of the challenges to you and your dog!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » September 15th, 2010, 2:15 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:or flies around you on the leash like he's never heeled before in his life...:D

I guess that qualifies us then... :oops: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Is this the one you're talking about? There are a few of them... lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » September 15th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Are you allowed to decoy the event and trial your dog?
Like if your dog is in the beginner, can you work the intermediate and advanced levels?

If I make a trip that far, I sure as heck want to use my suit. lol
I'd be interested to see how Dylan and Cairo would do in this sort of event.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 15th, 2010, 4:45 pm

You can decoy in the same level you're entering. I decoyed all weekend and entered beginner and intermediate. They're good about letting you get out of your suit a few dogs before your dog's turn to get him/her out and warmed up.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2010, 4:48 pm

You're allowed to decoy every level and trial in every level. If you look at the pictures, you will see that the winner of Intermediate, Brad, is one of the decoys. The Decoys just go off the field a few dogs ahead of their turn to get their dog ready. The judges also trial if they want to. This year, only one of them did, but other years, both judges have.

The only exception is, if you want to trial in advanced, you have to go first so that you can get out on the field and work dogs, since it's sequestered you can't work any dogs before you trial your own. If you are trialing two dogs in advanced, you have to trial them back to back.

amazincc wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:or flies around you on the leash like he's never heeled before in his life...:D

I guess that qualifies us then... :oops: lol

Look through the advanced photos, you'll see a few advanced dogs running around like they've never heeled in their life either. They aren't on leash, but some of them weren't exactly listening once the water was involved.

And look at other years as well, every year has different challenges and different issues that come up - trust me, none of you will be embarrassed, made fun of, heckled or otherwise poorly treated if your dog gets upset about one of the challenges. In other years, the trial has stopped for me and my lovely dogs numerous times. :wink:

The writeups don't really detail people's "trouble spots" but if you page through the pictures you will see them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » September 15th, 2010, 6:03 pm

LMAO Looks like the dog is stuck to you.

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby furever_pit » September 15th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Ah cool.
Well maybe we'll see y'all next year.
The boys and I are trying to make it up north and back home.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 15th, 2010, 6:57 pm

And the judges were quite cool and understanding...(and funny).

My fun comments from the judge's score cards include: "Pulls on leash like a HOT DOG" and "Break dances out of box".

8) That's my wiener! :giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » September 15th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Here goes another stupid question but since my little "princess" is not exactly the socialite with other dogs all the time, do they have a spot to set up her crate to stay in when it is not her turn. Does she HAVE to be around other dogs at all.
Sometimes she is fine walking by another dog but sometimes she is not. :oops:
I am still having visions of how Sarah, myself, Christine, Kinzyl, Renee, Sammy, Sepp, Faust, Bee and Luka are all going to get there in one vehicle and all intact :-| :wink: Erin can you give us a loading up the car with seven crates lesson 101 real quick. :wink: Hell, you might make that eight crates. I might need to have one by the time we get there. :D
madremissy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 15th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Can't help with the transportation issues, but I keep Inara crated in the barn - there are other dogs crated there, and lots of barking, but it's safe.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » September 15th, 2010, 9:28 pm

madremissy wrote:Here goes another stupid question but since my little "princess" is not exactly the socialite with other dogs all the time, do they have a spot to set up her crate to stay in when it is not her turn. Does she HAVE to be around other dogs at all.

Dogs are expected to have manners around other dogs, and you are expected to control your dog at all times. Dogs are not expected to be bestest friends with every dog on the grounds, however, should an errant dog sniff your dog it's rather expected that your dog not eat that dog.

There is a huge barn where the dogs can stay crated during the day. Ours actually stay in there overnight as well. There are fans in there to keep it cool as well.

Sometimes she is fine walking by another dog but sometimes she is not. :oops:

I'm with you, remember, I have Riggs. :) The first year we went, on Sunday evening the JRT pack was running around loose. I thought I was safe taking Riggs out to pee, and one came up to visit us. Riggs thought it was a chew toy coming up to play... I froze in horror (I had only had him for a few months so was very to his "routine" then) thank God Chris was right there to direct traffic for that one. I ended up picking him up while Chris went find someone to corral the little buggers.

But during the trial, because of the number of dogs around, even Capital Cities dogs are leashed.

I am still having visions of how Sarah, myself, Christine, Kinzyl, Renee, Sammy, Sepp, Faust, Bee and Luka are all going to get there in one vehicle and all intact :-| :wink: Erin can you give us a loading up the car with seven crates lesson 101 real quick. :wink: Hell, you might make that eight crates. I might need to have one by the time we get there. :D

One at a time... lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » September 15th, 2010, 9:41 pm

:doh: :doh:
JRT's... that is the only dog that she has had a problem with coming up to her. Something about the dog jumping around her and she not being able to keep up with the rude little thing all up in her coochy. She didn't attack but kinda gave a warning snap. This was about 2 years ago. She can walk by the little yorkie running up and down the fence barking at her all day long and just walk on by, no problem. But little "Dukey" is just a PITA. The guy doesn't ever put him on a leash. EVER!!!! Thank goodness he only comes down every so often to maintain the feilds.
madremissy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 15th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Missy, the dogs there are so incredibly well-behaved that even the off-leash ones for the most part stay right by their owners. Inara gets a little worked up, but she handles it pretty well, so I'm sure Kinzyl would be fine. :)

pitbullmamaliz

Postby Hundilein » September 15th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Kinzyl will be okay, Missy. And though I've never owned a vehicle full of dogs, I have lots of experience traveling with others who do, so I'm sure we can figure out the transportation. And if we have any questions, we'll call Erin. The key is bungee cords. :dance:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 15th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Exactly...BUNGEE cords, and more bungee cords

And no worries, Sawyer snapped at his fair share of Malinois at the DSO...one intact male in particular kept coming over to sniff him/bug him/poke him...and Sawyer finally had enough and showed lots of teeth. lol

TheRedQueen

Previous

Return to Sports