Canine2 Iron Dog Competition - October 9-10

IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Greetings All;

The Canine2 Iron Dog Competition is back again. Hopefully all you old competitors can still complete the course. After a two year lay off we have constantly been questioned on when were we going to do it again. The competition will take place in October. tentatively the 23 and 24th October. Please mark your calendars for this fun, exciting and grueling event. All proceeds will be doted to the FOSCIK Orphaned Children's Shelter. I miss you all and can't wait to see you again. More information coming soon.

Sarge

so... I asked what it was like and got this response:
Hi Michelle,

Sarge's Iron Dog competition is more of a "walk in the park" for the dogs, but it kicks our human butts (and least us old, out of shape ones!)

It's held near Chicago at the State Forest Preserve. You wait your turn, as they send someone every 2 minutes or so. You have to run down a hill to cross a "stream", or raging river depending on much rain has fallen recently. We've been when it was ankle deep, as well as armpit deep on me, and I'm tall, so it was probably over Cheryl's head. Once you cross the stream, you have to climb this steep f***ing hill. When you are all wet and not the first one through the couse, it gets very slippery and slimy. Go down the other side and yes....you have to cross the stream two more times. This time there are no banks to speak of, so you claw at roots after you have lifted your dog on to dry land, to try and get your fat butt out. You finally get a breather as you jog down a paved path and then back into the woods. When you come out of the woods there is a shooting station, where you need to hold onto your dog and shoot two shots with a paintball gun at a target and hit it. Then on to the "carry". You have the choice of either carrying your dog a hellish long way or a 20# sack of potatoes. (One lady that would have gotten blown away in a strong wind carried her 150# great dane!) Then there is an a-frame that you both need to climb over, and an agility dog walk. Then comes the smelly tarp. They have it bungied down to the ground so tight, you have no choice but to crawl on your belly. Again, if you are not near the front of the pack, then it gets pretty smelly and slimey. On to a tire course, where you know, you have to pick your feel up and put them down in each tire. Done a few face plants here. Then you go back into the woods and come out in a clearing where you get your one and only sleeve bite on the course. Back on to the trail until you come up to 2 or three jumps. Jump your dog over these, slog through a swamp and then to the home stretch where your lungs are screaming, your calves are cramping and you have to get down one more time and crawl through a low-to-the-ground cage with your dog. You stagger up and throw yourself across the finish line. Oxygen tanks and water are handed to you as well as several pats on the backs and lots of cheers.

I believe it is around 2 miles total and is an awesome bonding experience with your dog. Maybe Carole Field can post some pictures of previous Iron Dog. I remeber one of Cheryl crawling through the last cage wearing her "chemo cap". Of course, we were all in tears that year when she finished the course.

I might have missed a station or two, but that is the best of my recollection and Paul and I have done it 3 or 4 times. We proudly have our "Turtle Awards" to show for it!!

So... who wants to go play? :D :D :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » February 10th, 2010, 11:22 pm

That would be cool!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Sounds like fun, but that's a busy flyball month for us!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 11th, 2010, 8:03 am

:shock: Michelle, please make sure that Cheryl Carson doesn't see this. I don't want her getting any bright ideas.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » February 11th, 2010, 9:38 am

I was about to sign up for this with Earl until I read the sleeve bite part. Does that mean dogs have to have had bitework experience?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » August 31st, 2010, 11:32 pm

Date has been set and confirmed - October 9-10
Greetings all;

The Canine2 Iron Dog Competition is coming soon. So get ready for the time of your life. The course has changed for some for those of you who are familiar with it. Some things has been added and a couple taken away -- No not the water, not the crawling on your belly, no not the hill climb. Go to http://www.canine2.freewebspace.com to get your information, date, time and location. Register early, room available at the Hampton Inn in Crestwood,IL. Please join us for a good cause.

Sarge
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » August 31st, 2010, 11:36 pm

maberi wrote:I was about to sign up for this with Earl until I read the sleeve bite part. Does that mean dogs have to have had bitework experience?

No, if the dogs don't bite, as I understand it they just get a time penalty. So it would be like not completing any of the other obstacles. I'm thinking of doing it; want to car pool? We can stop and pick up Liz and Inara on the way.

pitbullmamaliz wrote::shock: Michelle, please make sure that Cheryl Carson doesn't see this. I don't want her getting any bright ideas.

This was one of her inspirations for the DSO this year actually - all of the people who charge across the river portion and leave their dog behind. That's why we were "blind;" so that we would have to try and figure out where our dogs were without being able to see them.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 1st, 2010, 8:19 am

mnp13 wrote:No, if the dogs don't bite, as I understand it they just get a time penalty. So it would be like not completing any of the other obstacles. I'm thinking of doing it; want to car pool? We can stop and pick up Liz and Inara on the way.

Yeah, I actually might be interested in going. Sounds like a blast.

I just need to figure out who I should bring :wink:
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2010, 4:12 pm

Me and Liz.

Oh, and maybe your dogs...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 1st, 2010, 4:51 pm

Only if you want Liz to DIE after that much exercise. :shock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » September 1st, 2010, 4:57 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Only if you want Liz to DIE after that much exercise. :shock:

Lol, it can't possibly be that bad!!

I'm seriously interested in going. I would probably bring Earl with me. He definitely enjoys getting wet and dirty much more than Kayden does
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2010, 5:23 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Only if you want Liz to DIE after that much exercise. :shock:

If all of the "mature ladies" of Capital Cities can do it, you can too. You just spent the entire weekend getting chewed on by protection dogs... FIFTY NINE of them to be exact. Stop your complaining!!!

So, the three of us can car pool! Sounds like a plan! :D

Just call me Julie!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm

oooooooooo

I just got a response to my email...

Greetings Michelle;

Your in luck; I mean the person you are speaking of is in luck. The bite work has been taken out of the competition. It has been replaced by another obstacle.

Sarge
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 1st, 2010, 7:11 pm

Sweet!!!
maberi

Postby mnp13 » September 8th, 2010, 11:53 am

Ok, rooms are $75 a night, and with a FEW of us sharing a room that's really affordable. Deb, are you coming too?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby geisthexe » September 10th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Hey Michelle

I am going to go but after reading this thing full I am not going to take a Presa b/c of having to carry him (CAN YOU SEE ME CARRYING CONAN) LMAO... I am going to take Arko my Mali b/c of the carrying & bite work. But who knows I might get brave and take Conan too :crazy2:

So I am down :D
~!~ Deb ~!~
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
geisthexe
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 10th, 2010, 10:52 pm

No bite work... read my last post :wink:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby geisthexe » September 11th, 2010, 8:49 am

Michelle .. guess I am trying to carry Conan LMAO .. well guess I can just carry the sack of potatoes .. NICE

Conan the 1st Presa to do this .. WOW ...
~!~ Deb ~!~
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
geisthexe
Just Whelped

Postby AllAmericanPUP » September 16th, 2010, 12:28 am

this sounds like a lot of fun
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby mnp13 » October 7th, 2010, 10:07 am

AllAmericanPUP wrote:this sounds like a lot of fun

So, will be be seeing you?? :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Middle West