Delicate question about dogs ashes

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » August 31st, 2010, 3:54 pm

Natalie wrote:I think if you don't exactly know the right thing yet, then you aren't ready. One day an opportunity will present itself, and you'll know when and what is right. Don't push it if you're only 25% there.

My dad and family dog died within a few years of each other. The funeral director was also a pilot and had a teeny tiny little plane. One day about five years after my dad died, maybe two years after Lucky, he called my mom and said, "Hey, it's a nice day for flying, how do you feel about scattering the ashes?" It was perfect. We packed them up, hopped on a little airplane, and they went out the plane window together. We just knew. You'll know too.

And I am sorry for the loss of your Dad. The plane story really made me realize I am not ready to do anything, other than wait until I am fully ready. Thanks, Natalie. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » August 31st, 2010, 11:35 pm

This really puts a lot into perspective for me. I have Pause and Remington's ashes [two cats I have lost in two really bad ways.] For me there is a lot of guilt tied to them and I'm not at a place where I can let them go.

I like the idea of saving my pet's ashes and having them spread with mine someday although I'm not sure of how I feel having boxes of ashes stacking up in my house though...

Ideally if I can afford to have my horse cremated that is the route I will go an that's at least a 40lb box of ashes. I think for her if I ever got another horse I would take her[cairo's ashes] on trail rides and to the beach and spread her ashes as we go on different rides because it would be reminiscent of the things we did when she was alive.

I'm not sure what I would do with Seth or LiLo's ashes. I have had some time to think about Sofie and when she passes I will have her cremated and then we will bury her at my parents. They're never going to move and it's the house and yard she grew up in. For her I think burial is very appropriate, especially in a warm sunny spot because that has always been her favorite thing to do - bask in the sun.

It's really a hard thing to think about. I don't know how people part themselves from the physical - I know it's just a body, just a vessel, but I have a really hard time letting go of that physical being.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » September 1st, 2010, 7:24 am

plebayo wrote:It's really a hard thing to think about. I don't know how people part themselves from the physical - I know it's just a body, just a vessel, but I have a really hard time letting go of that physical being.

I absolutely agree.

I never thought about cremation for a horse.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 1st, 2010, 10:22 am

iluvk9 wrote:
plebayo wrote:It's really a hard thing to think about. I don't know how people part themselves from the physical - I know it's just a body, just a vessel, but I have a really hard time letting go of that physical being.

I absolutely agree.

I never thought about cremation for a horse.

I never really thought about it until I met someone who had it done and also when I found out what exactly rendering is I just don't know how I feel about having someone pick up her body to take her to the rendering plant. Where I live in OR you cannot bury horses, even on farmland. Really you're not even supposed to bury dogs and cats. It's a very tough call because horse cremation is roughly $1200 depending on the weight of the animal, like I said, I would have to be in a place that I could afford it. But the whole rendering thing makes me really sad.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby PetieMarie22 » September 1st, 2010, 12:11 pm

plebayo wrote:It's a very tough call because horse cremation is roughly $1200 depending on the weight of the animal

Holy cow! I did not know that.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » September 1st, 2010, 1:00 pm

I think all cremation is by weight. It can run close to $200 here to cremate a med-lrg dog. It definitely isn't cheap!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Off-Topic