opinions please, those with hunting/retriever dog experience

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Malli » August 25th, 2010, 1:55 pm

I'm looking at 2 neoprene vests for Oscar.

His only regular cardiovascular activity is swimming due to his multiple joint issues, and up here in British Columbia it gets pretty cold; my goal is to keep him active through the winter unless we can't get to the water (it's frozen over),

Dokken's Vest :
http://www.prairiegrassoutfitters.com/D ... -Vest.html
http://innotek-dog-training-collars.sto ... -vest.html

Avery's Vest :
http://www.gundogsupply.com/avery-boate ... -vest.html
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AVE031S

I'm leaning towards the Avery one...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » August 25th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Well my only experience is with upland bird dogs not water retrieving types but I'm with you on the vest choice. I like that the Avery vest has built in handles.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » August 26th, 2010, 12:27 pm

anyone else? You do not HAVE to have hunting/retriever experience ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » August 26th, 2010, 12:50 pm

The Avery one seems to have a snuggier fit, I guess that's good. I wonder why they don't make them cover more body surface though, I guess for ease of movement, but a little turtleneck wouldn't hurt, the warmer the big neck veins, the warmer the dog.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » August 26th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Malli wrote:anyone else? You do not HAVE to have hunting/retriever experience ;)

OH! :)

Well then I vote for the Dokken vest because the Lab is GORGEOUS modeling it. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » August 26th, 2010, 7:38 pm

My vote would be for the Avery one if you're going to be using it in cold water. It has 5mm of neoprene vs the 3mm in the other one. The thicker the neoprene the better the insulation. However it may be harder to get on/off because its less stretchy!

But just my 2 cents!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » August 27th, 2010, 1:30 am

iluvk9 wrote:
Malli wrote:anyone else? You do not HAVE to have hunting/retriever experience ;)

OH! :)

Well then I vote for the Dokken vest because the Lab is GORGEOUS modeling it. :dance:

umm, that wasn't exactly the reasoning I was hoping for ;) But I will take the model into consideration
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 27th, 2010, 6:45 am

Malli wrote:umm, that wasn't exactly the reasoning I was hoping for ;) But I will take the model into consideration

:neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 2nd, 2010, 11:21 pm

I ordered the XL Avery. We couldn't find an exact size so fingers crossed! Its on the way!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 3rd, 2010, 9:30 am

We will patiently wait for Oscar's photos. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 3rd, 2010, 9:35 am

I think I shall have to find someone to make The Wiener one of these...his poor little belly gets all scratched up when he plays in tall grasses and such. He doesn't mind, but I hate to feel them when I pick him up. But all of the neoprene gun dog vests that I've found are only for larger dogs.

*pout*
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » September 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm

yeah, they're also for labs :rolleyes2: Hence the "cross the fingers" I guess he's sort of field trials lab size :|

You should be able to find someone to do something custom, but it may not be cheap :neutral:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » September 3rd, 2010, 12:35 pm

What kind of dog and how cold are we talking?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » September 3rd, 2010, 12:47 pm

Oscar or Erin's dog? Take your pick, Oscar is an American Bulldog/APBT cross and will be swimming in the winter on the west coast of british columbia, and Erin's dog is Mini Dachshund and I think she lives near you.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » September 3rd, 2010, 12:49 pm

Malli wrote:Oscar or Erin's dog? Take your pick, Oscar is an American Bulldog/APBT cross and will be swimming in the winter on the west coast of british columbia, and Erin's dog is Mini Dachshund and I think she lives near you.

I'm familiar with Erin's dogs. How cold does it get in B.C.?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby Malli » September 3rd, 2010, 1:07 pm

generally between 40-50 Farenheit but can get into the 30's. I'm not sure what temp the water drops to, I normally try to take him to lakes.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » September 3rd, 2010, 1:08 pm

sorry, should have read 20-30 range
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » September 3rd, 2010, 1:20 pm

In that case, I would worry less about insulation and more about restriction. Get the vest that allows the greatest possible freedom of movement.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Malli » September 11th, 2010, 12:28 am

E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » September 11th, 2010, 1:02 am

Lookin' fancy!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Next

Return to Off-Topic