New to the board, Hi!

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 11:32 am

Hello,

I'm Nate. My wife and I own two "pit bulls." We've been involved with them for almost two years.

Zuki(our girl) was adopted from a rescue in grand rapids Michigan at 9 weeks. She's now almost two years old. We do a lot of positive reinforcement and tried to find a lot of things she is interested in to no avail. She doesn't have much work ethic, she loves to cuddle and nap. She is food motivated, so we're in our first(not counting half a puppy class) obedience class(sept 16) and we plan to do Obed/rally/agility titles if she seems to enjoy it. She will be taking her CGC test in October and she may have a future as a therapy dog but we'll see! For now we just do obedience/trick work for fun and about 1.5 mile bike rides daily. She's the dog that wiggles hard for new people and babies, loves to meet new people and dogs, and thoroughly enjoys being in the public eye.

Oberon( our boy) we got from a rescue in Dowagiac, MI. He's about 4 now. We saw him on pet finder about a year ago, we wanted Zuki to develop a bit more to see if she would show any signs of DA. We fully understand they may show less tolerance of each other as they age, but for now its nice to have the girl in the yard sun-bathing while I work the boy. He is very drivey and loves long bike rides(~3 miles) alternating days with frisbee work. He was "advertised" as a frisbee champ in the making. He showed little interest in discs and not much ability to catch them when we got him, but now hes on his way. He's catching 75%+(so long as I throw it right) and works very hard for me. He's not very food motivated, but loves the springpole, so that's what we used to motivate him - catch?!=spring pole time, 2 catches in a row?!=spring pole!!! ect ect.

We also have a cat that loves to instigate, His name is Rocket and he picked us when we visited a shelter about 4 years ago.

My wife and I actively watch the boards and news for bsl talks in our area and we wrote letters and spoke at the animal ordinance discussion in Elkhart indiana recently. We just want dogs to be judged as individuals and responsible ownership to be promoted.

I enjoy working on cars and bicycling, training the pups, and researching stuff on the internet. We found this site through a link on st leathercraft's site when we were looking for a nice leash for our first obedience class.

Sorry for the long post, I just love these animals.

I am excited to learn more about these dogs and get to know you all and your pups!

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » August 25th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Welcome to the forum. I love the name Oberon and love the beer as well ;)

Have you been out to see Ron and Apryl at Pawsitive Vybe in Michigan?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 12:19 pm

We have not! But I did see the website and disc dog camp(it looks fantastic!). My wife and I lived in Kalamazoo for school but now we're in the SW of michigan, plus me working second shift and weekends would make it difficult to get out there without taking a day off( or two to make the trip easier). My work situation should be different in a few months, but it does look fun! And I've heard good things!

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » August 25th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Ron and Apryl are AWESOME and probably two of the best trainers I've ever worked with. I've driven out to Michigan a few times just to work with them. They are also very pit friendly

If you ever make it out to train with them or attend one of their seminars you will learn a ton.

Glad to see another person interested in disc on the forum

--Matt
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » August 25th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Welcome to PBT, Nate & family!!! :wave2:

GREAT intro! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PetieMarie22 » August 25th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Hi Nate! Sounds like you have a couple of great dogs and are interested in some cool activities. Welcome! Do you have some pictures?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » August 25th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Welcome to PBT Nate :wave2:
We like PICTURES :D
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 25th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Michigan you say?

Will we be seeing you this weekend?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32195

Welcome to the forum!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » August 25th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Welcome to PBT!! :wave2: And I second the "We love pictures". Especially of the instigating kitty, I have one of those, too. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Pictures! hmm, having trouble getting them under 701 pixels wide...lol gimme a sec.

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Anyone know what number I need to get to in photobucket to get to the 701 pixels? I'm under 500x450 but it's still not working...lol I thought I was better at this.

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Got it! The boy is the fawn, and the girl is the black dog, Oberon is in better shape now, but I don't have any really recent ones. Zuki is on raw(kibble hates her tract) Oberon is on a good kibble now which seems to help a lot.

This is about 2 weeks after we got Oberon:

Fun in the yard:

And here is the king of the castle -

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, the trick was to rename the file after I cropped it. I was just replacing the picture and it wasn't working. Lol

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby HappyChick » August 25th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Welcome! Gorgeous dogs! Oberon is very handsome. I have a soft spot for dogs with black masks. :)
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » August 25th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Hello and Welcome to PBT :wave2: Sounds like you have a wonderful family.

As for the photobucket picture thing. I just go to the manual setting on size and type it in. I usually use 500 in the largest number box and it will resize it to fit.

Sorry if you don't understand my explanation but I am not very good at explaining computer things. :rolleyes2:

The picture you have already put up is beautiful. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ArtGypsy » August 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm

:o :o :o HOLY COW what BEAUTIFUL DOGS!!

Yeah, I was pretty-much drooling........ :P

((oh)) AND WELCOME TO PBT!! :wave2: :wave2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 25th, 2010, 8:48 pm

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Ammadien » August 25th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Thanks very much for the warm welcome! Our pups are well taken care of!
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » August 26th, 2010, 9:18 am

Very nice looking dogs!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » August 26th, 2010, 12:32 pm

:wave2:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Next

Return to Introductions