We are expecting

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby SassyCassie » August 17th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Well i will definitely have some cute looking boys for sale. I told the kids we could keep the girls b/c they will give us milk and weed, while the boys only weed (see i'm avoiding the whole women can multitask better than men issue lol)

As a plus, they eat poison ivy (good for me b/c my yard is FULL of it)
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 17th, 2010, 9:44 pm

I NEEEEEEEEED ONE!!!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Emi » August 18th, 2010, 3:37 am

Ah they are cute :) gratz :0
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 18th, 2010, 6:18 am

They eat poison ivy?? I know people buy chickens to eat fleas or mosquitoes or something (Christy Brinkley did on Long Island.)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SassyCassie » August 18th, 2010, 8:35 am

They LOVE it. They also love raspberry leaves (not so good for me) and maple (good for those nasty sprouts that keep showing up) Now if i could only get them to eat box elder, i'd be all set b/c that is the next most prevalent weed on my property. But they don't like it either.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 19th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Well I have a ba-zillion errands to do tomorrow, can I come out and see them and maybe take some pictures???
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » August 19th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Awwww...I :heartbeat: goats...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SassyCassie » August 19th, 2010, 10:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:Well I have a ba-zillion errands to do tomorrow, can I come out and see them and maybe take some pictures???

Absolutely. I will be in and out, just give me a call to let me know what time.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 20th, 2010, 9:52 pm

so...

I took waaaaaaay too many pictures today. :oops: :oops: Like a zillion too many. So, here are just a few of them. And there would be even more if you had let them out in the yard where the light was better. :x lol :neener:

Wow are they ever cute.

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 20th, 2010, 10:15 pm

HOLY JEEBUS they are quite possibly the cutest things EVER! :shock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » August 20th, 2010, 11:18 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:HOLY JEEBUS they are quite possibly the cutest things EVER! :shock:

x1000 :shock:
How did you ever manage NOT to bring one home??? :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » August 20th, 2010, 11:30 pm

uh.... yeah, it wasn't much of a struggle... they have bright orange poop, and they do it everywhere.

but the punk chickens with the furry feet? I wanted them REALLY bad!!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2010, 3:43 pm

mnp13 wrote:they have bright orange poop, and they do it everywhere.

Uhm... yeah... there is that... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SassyCassie » August 22nd, 2010, 9:39 pm

Wow, those pics are awesome Michelle.

Here is one of my punk chickens

SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 23rd, 2010, 12:52 am

SassyCassie wrote:Wow, those pics are awesome Michelle.

Here is one of my punk chickens

I'm glad you like them!

You have to show the FEET!!!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » August 23rd, 2010, 12:53 am

I really liked the ones of them jumping around and everything but this is my favorite one

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 23rd, 2010, 1:13 am

They are super cute.

What exactly is involved in goat care? (costs, feeding, vet maintenance etc.)

I thought I'd heard they were "easy keepers"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SassyCassie » August 23rd, 2010, 10:10 am

They are easy (unless you are breeding them, that is when the vet bills started racking up, what with pre-breeding tests and delivery issues)

Your basic wether (castrated male) gets good quality timothy or timothy/alfalfa mix hay, and water. Too much grain gives them urinary tract problems, so most people give them a small handful as a treat now and then, but that's it. They get one vaccine a year - CD/T, that cost me $17 at the vet, and they can get rabies also, can't remember how much, but probably about the same. You can also get the vaccine at Tractor Supply and give it yourself, it cost me about $8 for a bottle, and that was plenty for all my goats. They need shelter out of the wind, that is dry, b/c damp conditions lead to pneumonia, but people have used many different things to provide that (I saw one person using a little tykes playhouse) The nigerian dwarf are about the size of my Irish Setter. You can train them to walk on a leash. I have an outdoor yard that they have grazed down to nothing, but I also have a moveable pen made out of two 4 foot high stock panels clipped together so they have fresh grazing every day that i bring them out. They also get grass clipping, garden scraps, maple leaves, raspberry leaves, etc. Some people fence large areas, or use electric fence but with so few goats that seems expensive for me. One thing, you have to have at least two goats, they are herd animals and do not like to be alone. They are easy to keep clean, i prefer shavings for bedding, and they have little pellet poop like rabbits or deer. I spot clean during the week, and thoroughly clean out all the bedding every couple weeks (right now, i am doing cleanings more often, and I have them on straw b/c of the babies, and I do not recommend straw bedding at all, it draws flies) They don't have to be bathed (they hate water and rain, and avoid it like the plague) a little brushing now and then keeps them clean (angoras probably need more, but i wouldn't get them) You can also shave them down in the warmer months to keep them cooler, but you don't have to.

Initial cost varies, depending on whether they are registered or not (and their pedigree), sex, age, etc. I have seen many many does with good pedigrees go for $600 and up (in the nigerian dwarf, good pedigree means strong milking lines, b/c they are a minature dairy goat, while the pygmies are minature meat goats) If you look on craiglist, you can find year-old or two year old bucks or wethers, mixed breed, usually they still have their horns, and people can't even give them away. (I prefer dehorned goats, the horns can injure each other, or children, and get snagged on fencing). Registered wethers, sold around 3 months old, are usually $75 - $125. Young does are usually around $300. You can find them for less (I did) if people are getting out of the goat business and have older does. But it takes alot of looking, and usually a long drive (the two people that sell registered nigerians around here must have great lines, b/c their babies are really expensive.) I'm not saying they aren't worth it, and they get what they are asking, but it is out of my price range.

They are wonderful pets, many people used the full-size goats (usually wethers) to pull carts, as pack animals on trails (less damaging than horses), any of them are great for weed control, esp in areas that are difficult to mow, like on hills. They browse a little bit here and there, so they won't eat all the good grass that horses prefer, they would rather eat scrubby trees, and weeds.
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » August 23rd, 2010, 1:06 pm

Do they need their hooves clipped or anything?

Do the mothers or milking goats need supplements moreso then Alfalfa or Timothy?

Thanks for your response :) I think I'd like to have a couple goats one day, and maintenance price or lack there of is what will help convince him ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 23rd, 2010, 3:32 pm

I just love the one that has the coloring of a Rotti!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members