Toby's not doing so hot.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Tubular Toby » August 20th, 2010, 12:48 am

This morning I woke up to my roommate calling me to tell me that Toby had diarrhea and pooped in his crate. I told her to lock him in the bathroom with the rugs taken out and I would be there as soon as I could. When I got there, he had pooped in the bathroom too. Some of it looked like puke (really foamy nastiness), as did some of the surprises he left in his crate. I cleaned it up, made sure he had plenty of time outside, and left for work. When I came home tonight, he had held it just fine so I let him out. I decided to go ahead and not feed him today, since he had been so bad.

Now tonight when my boyfriend came over, Toby got excited and dribbled a little diarrhea on the carpet. :puke: I also noticed another spot with dribbles and what appears to be pee. I didn't take him to the vet today because he did this a couple of years ago and was just fine, but I'm probably taking him tomorrow unless he is all better. The urine tonight really bothered me because that is something that has never happened.

Any ideas on what it might be or what I can do for him? :| He isn't acting too mopey, a little bit calmer than usual but is still playing and wagging and begging for dinner. The only thing he had last night was an ice cube of frozen canned food (Castor and Pollux) but he's had it before. It was literally only an ice cube's worth.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitsnok » August 20th, 2010, 1:15 am

No ideas, but good thoughts for you and Toby. I hope he gets to feeling better!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » August 20th, 2010, 1:39 am

It will probably be something he ate, but there are literally 1000 + different things that might cause this.

If this has been very uncharacteristic for him housebreaking-wise, I'd be concerned. I think there has been twice in 9.5 years Oscar has messed in the house(aside from housebreaking as a puppy), so when that happened, I was concerned.

I would offer small meals (maybe 1/4 cup regular kibble) at a time and keep the total portion for the day small - maybe 1/3 of his total normal portion. Or, you could offer a 1/2 and 1/2 combo of boiled chicken and white rice in several small portions

Make sure he can access water at all times to try and avoid dehydration. If he vomits again definitely take him in.

Maybe he just doesn't tolerate that wet food? :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 8:14 am

Sorry about Toby. :hug3: I know how upsetting it is.

Listen to Malli. She always has good ideas and advice!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 20th, 2010, 8:58 am

It sounds like he hasn't had the canned food for a while? (not a regular thing) The company may have changed their formula...and it might be something in there now that's causing him to have a stomachache.

I go with a bland diet for diarrhea...and keep an eye on it...if it goes on longer than say, 24 hours (without knowing a cause)...then I'll set up a vet appointment. I love the baby food cereal for a bland diet...I keep a box of rice baby cereal around for just such occasions...it just has to be mixed with water, and voila! bland diet!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » August 20th, 2010, 9:35 am

Good Thoughts for Toby to feel better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby plebayo » August 20th, 2010, 9:49 am

Seth has a very sensitive stomach and he got blowout diarrhea on the raw food I was feeding him. I fasted him for 24hrs and then after that gave him small meals with a bland diet [rice/ground beef combo w/ some yogurt] until his poop looked normal which was within like a day or two. While he's having diarrhea you want to be sure he has access to and is drinking water. It sounds like his guts are pissed off.

Also as far a dribbling pee he could have done it because he got super excited. It could be something he's done in the past you just may have never noticed before?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » August 20th, 2010, 10:24 am

Simon just had a bout with can't-hold-it-in diarrhea. He's much, much older, and has the odd bout of trouble if I don't keep his fiber intake juuuust right. But when any of my guys have that trouble, I stop all their supplements (Simon takes stuff that can be hard on the system), and I cook chicken and rice-- I use low-sodium chicken broth instead of water, and throw in a can of cooked chicken breast meat. I make it a little on the wet side, and even add some water to the bowl to keep them hydrated. They get small amounts of that (several small meals) and some heaping spoons of canned pumpkin until I start seeing something solid. If I have Fortiflora or some other probiotic on hand, then he gets that, too. Once i start seeing something solid, I start adding in some kibble. If all goes well, I start adding in the most crucial supplements/meds, and so on and so forth, and continue adding more regular food and less rice, until we're back to good! Last time he swung the other direction and got constipated, but bumping up the pumpkin and getting back to his regular diet did the trick. I may just keep him on maintenance probiotics now.

And with my guys, it's usually something they ate. Last time, I think they all got into the snack bar(ie, the litter box). Bleh.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » August 20th, 2010, 11:29 am

Well this canned food was all purchased at the same time, but it has been a little while since he had it last.

Today he is back to his normal self, wanting to play play play. Not quite solid, but no throw up and looking much better. Toby usually has an iron stomach, but apparently something got to him this time around. Poor guy.
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TinaMartin » August 20th, 2010, 12:05 pm

He also might have gotten into something that you didnt see.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » August 21st, 2010, 2:55 pm

How's he doing? Still back to normal?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Tubular Toby » August 21st, 2010, 5:37 pm

Yup, recovered just fine. :|
-Kristen

Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 21st, 2010, 5:39 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:Yup, recovered just fine. :|

Yea! 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » August 23rd, 2010, 3:09 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:Yup, recovered just fine. :|

Yay!! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » August 23rd, 2010, 3:29 pm

Good to hear. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Nutrition & Health