Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Pit♥bull » July 28th, 2010, 10:02 am

He didn't want to go back to the Vet and be poked and prodded again.

EAT EAT EAT Harley You're giving momma gray hair... :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » July 28th, 2010, 11:00 am

Great news!!
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2010, 12:28 pm

yay Harley!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2010, 2:40 pm

:D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby turtle » July 28th, 2010, 4:56 pm

I'm glad to hear he is eating!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 28th, 2010, 5:14 pm

:) Thank you, friends!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » July 28th, 2010, 6:30 pm

What a roller coaster. I'm sending all my good thoughts to you & Harley!

Joyce, do you want me to send you some of Zuzu's food for him to try? It's like doggie crack.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » July 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm

CinderDee wrote:Joyce, do you want me to send you some of Zuzu's food for him to try? It's like doggie crack.

What is the food, Dee? I have literally tried every brand; dry and canned, vet prescribed, homemade and even some raw. He just doesn't want to eat. But today was a good day, so I am praying it now continues to spiral UPWARD.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » July 29th, 2010, 11:06 pm

:hug3: Only the best of thoughts and prayers for you both.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » July 30th, 2010, 7:31 am

The good news is that we are still convinced it is gastritis. There is a name for the type, but I forgot it.

Sonogram, along with xrays, showed a mild thickening of stomach wall. No masses or suspicious spots. Blood was fine, except a tiny bit elevated WBC. It could be because he isn't feeling well.

Since we are guessing he is 10 (I adopted him, at maybe a yr old) his insides look rather good.

My philosophy has always been for quality of life for my dogs. Harley is barking, jumping, playing, going for walks again with me, drinking water, peeing and pooping and just living a normal life, except for this food/stomach thing. We have gotten it under control with meds. to my satisfaction.

I am not getting him scoped. If the stomach lining showed anything with the cells changing for the worse, I would not do chemo/cancer drugs/radiation, or whatever the protocol would be. So, it really doesn't matter to me what it is, other than his symptoms are under control and he is happy-go-lucky living his life.

Thank you again for all your ideas and insights. As you all know, when faced with any type of situation with our dogs (or ourselves), we do what we feel most comfortable with. Since my Vet agrees medically with me right now, Harley will live his life out on these meds and continue to live the most active life I can give him. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » July 30th, 2010, 7:49 am

:thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » July 30th, 2010, 8:04 am

I'm so happy he is eating again. You are such a great mom to your dogs!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 30th, 2010, 8:48 am

I think that sounds like a great plan, Joyce! I'm so relieved the meds are working!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » July 30th, 2010, 9:46 am

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

Good News For My Day!!!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby hugapitbull » July 30th, 2010, 10:49 am

So happy to hear he's feeling better and they don't think it is anything major - as if not eating weren't major enough - but you know what I mean - not a major illness.

I've never dealt with a picky eater, every dog we ever had would eat anything you gave them - and a bunch of stuff you didn't. :crazy2:

Have they considered the possibility of a food allergy since this has gone on for years? Maybe a dog food ingredient is causing the problem? One of my coworkers has severe allergies to wheat and corn and they presented with major gastro issues.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » July 30th, 2010, 1:05 pm

You know I COMPLETELY agree w/you on the "quality of life" issue, and if Harleybird is happy I'm happy! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » July 30th, 2010, 4:40 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Have they considered the possibility of a food allergy since this has gone on for years? Maybe a dog food ingredient is causing the problem? One of my coworkers has severe allergies to wheat and corn and they presented with major gastro issues.

I have thought of that, and tried all dry/canned food with no repeat success with him eating the next meal. When he was refusing CHICKEN and STEAK, I sort of discontinued the food allergy idea.

amazincc wrote:You know I COMPLETELY agree w/you on the "quality of life" issue, and if Harleybird is happy I'm happy! :D

Thanks. It isn't easy sticking to my convictions sometimes, but truly, "it is what it is" going on inside him.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » July 30th, 2010, 5:17 pm

You are the best Mom to your dogs and you ALWAYS have the best interest of them in mind. Harely, Truman, Darlene and Lenny truly have the best life with you. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » August 2nd, 2010, 6:22 am

Two days in a row, he ate California Naturals Grain Free Chicken dry kibble with the steak I BBQ for him. :) I got smart and started asking for sample bags of the almost 14 dry foods I have tried.

He hasn't touched any dry food (moistened of course) in 2 months! I even snuck a little I/D canned in it, because that is what my Vet wants him to eat for awhile.

Today I go buy a 5# bag. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 2nd, 2010, 7:34 am

WOO HOO!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health