Jumping WAY ahead of myself (agility!)

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby copperlegend » July 26th, 2010, 9:04 am

So Nadia is 9-10 weeks old now, and she's already learning some basic obedience stuff. She'll sit on command most of the time, and she comes when called 9 times out of 10! She LOVES running up and down the stairs, and hops over the barricade(a cooler) between the kitchen and dining room like a deer. We're going to start obedience classes once she's spayed in September, and I think our goal is to give Agility a shot once she's a bit older, at 1 year or so. I'm reading When Pigs Fly as recommended by a friend who has a Frenchie and an Old English Bulldog. We're going to give clicker training a shot, too.

Are there any books that you guys would recommend in addition to When Pigs Fly? Any things I should start teaching ASAP, so it has a lot of time to 'sink in' before obedience classes?
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » July 26th, 2010, 9:32 am

If it were me I would sign her up for basic puppy obedience classes and agility now. Never too early to start basic obedience and socialization and basic agility can be started early too. They won't have her doing any high impact stuff or jumps in agility at a young age, but she can start learning some of the basic obstacles, directional cuing, targeting, etc....
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 26th, 2010, 9:39 am

copperlegend wrote:Agility a shot once she's a bit older

We LOVE Agility!! Petie is good at it because she is fearless and loves new challenges. I remember that you are in Rochester. I took Agility I at DOTCORNY with Kay Sadowski and I really liked her and the class. In the fall I will be back for Agility II and see what the outlook will be for Petie to compete!
In the mean time, while you are just playing with Nadia, just keep everything really positive. That's another reason I liked agility, everything is just done in the tone happiness and fun for dog and owner!
I thought it was 6 months you could start them in agility as well. Definatly do obediance first so you have the foundations, but yes, start her ASAP!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » July 26th, 2010, 10:31 am

PS - Just checked with a friend and you can start puppy agility with your dog at 8 weeks
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby copperlegend » July 26th, 2010, 11:42 am

Excellent! Yeah, we keep everything super positive, lots of over enthusiastic "GOOD GIRL!" and "YAY GOOD JOB!" The bf just sent me a video, apparently he decided to teach her 'down' and 'roll over' this morning and she already gets it! We'll definitely take Kay's beginner class once we've got the basic obedience stuff down, DOTCORNY is just a few minutes away.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 27th, 2010, 12:27 am

There is no reason to wait until fall to start her in classes, as long as she's 8 weeks, get her out and doing things. You don't need to have "anything down" before starting puppy classes, that's the point of puppy classes!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby copperlegend » July 27th, 2010, 8:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVD1fz0MipM

Aaron sent me this yesterday, I guess he spent his morning teaching her how to roll over :) He was so proud of her! Let's hope she continues to be a quick learner!
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 27th, 2010, 9:09 am

Wow! Nice! She seems very smart and HAPPY! (Oh, and adorable!)
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Sports