how to explain to somone that raw is BETTER for dogs.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Gatsu » May 9th, 2006, 9:48 am

Okay a family friend is 100% sure that raw feeding is gonna give my dog worms and the taste for blood, and make her want to kill birds,squirrels..etc more. She's convinced that the vet doesn't condone raw feeding(which im sure they don't, they are vets...) She plans on going to the vet to see about me feeding my dog raw food.

she says "I've had dogs all my life Jonathan and they have all told me never, ever to feed a dog raw meat...always cook it including marrow bones"

now i don't know what to tell her 'cause i look and sound like i don't know what im doing (to her, i know perfectly well what im doing) and feeding the vet food or the grocery store food is healthier.

any suggestions thanks,
Jon
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 9th, 2006, 10:21 am

Well....you could do like I do & tell her to mind her own business! :P or you could do what nice people do & print a few things off for her to read. And some vets DO condone raw feeding. Mines does not have a problem with it at all, he doesn't practice it but he knows I do & has never said a cross word to me about it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » May 9th, 2006, 10:27 am

and the taste for blood, and make her want to kill birds,squirrels..etc more

Well, ask her if she thinks that becuase someone likes to eat their steak medium rare, does that make them prone to cannibalism? Or make them want to become a cannibal? Image
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Gatsu » May 9th, 2006, 10:30 am

Miakoda wrote:
and the taste for blood, and make her want to kill birds,squirrels..etc more

Well, ask her if she thinks that becuase someone likes to eat their steak medium rare, does that make them prone to cannibalism? Or make them want to become a cannibal? Image

LOL
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » May 9th, 2006, 11:00 am

This site should have some good info for you to print out and ive to her:

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/

Dogs are canivores, raw meat is the best thing you can feed them! I feed half raw half kibble and that works great for me and my dog...

But to say raw meat gives dogs worms, etc. is just silly!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 9th, 2006, 11:11 am

Well, if you feed substandard meat that was infected you may have a problem, but does she realize that many worms do not tend to reside in muscle meat, and many of those that do probably are killed by stomach acids? And how many worms that chickens or cows get can be transfered to dogs? Does she cook her staeak well done too? Does she realize that by cooking her marrow bones she is actually increasing the possibility of an injury?

Worms tend to be transmitted through contact such as through the pads of the feet, does she put boots on her dogs every time they go out the door?

Lastly, look at the rate of digestion. My dogs pooped more than they ate, per day, on kibble. Feeding raw, my dogs poop a fraction of the amount they eat. That tells you that the food is far more usable to the dog.

Quite frankly, it is NONE of your 'friend's' business. She sounds downright nosy.

Oh, and did you mention that the only nutrition training given to vets is by dog food manufacturers? :shock: A LITTLE bias there?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 9th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Gatsu wrote:Okay a family friend is 100% sure that raw feeding is gonna give my dog...the taste for blood,

Actually, I can attest to the truth in this. Inara's been on raw about 10 days now, and just a couple days ago, right after eating a bloody chicken quarter, she VICIOUSLY attacked and killed.......an ant. Terrifying. Almost put her down right there. *shaking head*
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 9th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Inara is a true danger to all children. I cannot believe you keep such a menace in your home, and it is all your fault giving her raw meat. You should be ashamed of yourself. :rant:

:D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Hoyden » May 9th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Well, I feed Timberwolf and Raw and my two dogs have yet to develop a taste for blood yet.

The squrrels and rabbits are still in my yard and the chipmunks are enjoying Petey's lovely blue dog house with out being molested by my pitbulls.

Hell, if Birdie had a taste for blood, she would have eaten SisMorphine's rabbit instead of sporting a lovely scab on her nose where the carnivorous rabbit BIT MY PITBULL!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » May 9th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Hoyden wrote:Well, I feed Timberwolf and Raw and my two dogs have yet to develop a taste for blood yet.

The squrrels and rabbits are still in my yard and the chipmunks are enjoying Petey's lovely blue dog house with out being molested by my pitbulls.

Hell, if Birdie had a taste for blood, she would have eaten SisMorphine's rabbit instead of sporting a lovely scab on her nose where the carnivorous rabbit BIT MY PITBULL!

I'm with you, Hoyden!!!....both my girls are on raw...okay, bad example...they do bite work...

Just kidding...seriously, though....

My dogs might kill a bug now and then...but THEY get attacked by the KITTIES...not vice versa....

A lot of people are ignorant to it...everyone has a right to an opinion...obviously your neighbor doesn't respect yours...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pLaurent » May 9th, 2006, 10:29 pm

It would be nice if people would educate themselves instead of mindlessly parroting old myths and nonsense like this.
:rolleyes2:

Guess they better stop serving steak tartare in restaurants, lest the diners turn on one another with the bloodlust!!! :o
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health