Sarge and Crew :D

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby rdneckwife » July 22nd, 2010, 2:48 pm

Hello all!

I recently adopted a 10 month old pit bull from a Dallas Police officer. He found Sarge as a puppy in the middle of downtown. Sarge is my second "pit bull" type. Stitch was my first, adopted from the animal shelter in Anchorage, Alaska...We found out a week later he had distemper so far gone the vet recommended Euth. I believe he was an am staff mix, more so than pit. Anyway, back to my fawn brindle beauty!! Sarge was adopted three weeks ago. In that time, we've had him neutered and vetted. The PO said he had the vetting done, but didn't have the paperwork. I'm a little leery, so I redid the process. He is the most precious, people friendly dog I've ever met. We all love him dearly. He will go up to a stranger and let them pet him. Its amazing.

However, he needs some dog/dog manners. He was pretty much so a backyard dog with the PO, so he hasn't had any experience around other dogs. I'm not ready to give up on him socializing with other dogs, but at the moment, we are extremely careful. My best friend has a pack with a pom, pug, Anatolian, and a Aussie. She is wonderful, and is helping me with what we have called "Sarge therapy". It took us 30 minutes today to approach her Aussie pup, who has more nerve than brains apparently. She was trying to stare Sarge down, and she's only 10 weeks old! Anyway, we were only able to allow a brief sniff before we both felt the need to separate them. I know they feed off of our energy and I am trying some calming approaches.

I'm hoping to get some insight and training ideas to help me help Sarge through his fixation on other dogs. It is like he is a completely different dog around other dogs. I had hoped to get him into some dock dogs or TD, as well as get his CGC...but that will not be possible with his dog/dog aggression. If it comes to it, I will accept that he isn't able to be around other dogs...but I'm not ready for that yet. He came in when my two young daughters and I were tickling their dad...and laid down in the middle of us.

I would have posted it to the training forum, but it said I have to post here first. Any help would be appreciated...

Sarge's approach to another dog... Sarge see's dog, fixates (Even with correction), pulls, creeps, lunges....OR He starts grump/whining/barking noises and his jaw is snapping, like teeth chattering. :sad2:

I'm also wondering if it's walking him past the dogs in our neighborhood. There are several very aggressive dogs who try to attack through the fence.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Heather, Sarge, and Crew
Heather, Sarge, and Crew

(As seen on T-shirts)

"The only thing vicious about my pit bull is his gas"
"Petey NEVER bit Buckwheat"
rdneckwife
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 22nd, 2010, 3:50 pm

Hi Heather! Welcome!! :wave2: Cute pup!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rdneckwife » July 22nd, 2010, 5:37 pm

rdneckwife wrote:..... Anyway, back to my fawn brindle beauty!!..

erm, meant Fawn BOSTON beauty :oops:
Heather, Sarge, and Crew

(As seen on T-shirts)

rdneckwife
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » July 22nd, 2010, 6:30 pm

Hello and Welcome to PBT :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » July 22nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

Hi and welcome! I'm sure a moderator will be by soon to grant you permission to post on the rest of the board! :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » July 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

Welcome and great intro! I love his name, since he was found by a Police Officer?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 22nd, 2010, 8:27 pm

:dance: :dance: :wave2: :dance: :wave2: :dance:
Welcome Heather!!!
What a Great Story!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby rdneckwife » July 22nd, 2010, 9:42 pm

iluvek9-Actually, we renamed him "Sarge" because my husband, an ex Ssgt in the Air Force, insisted. His original name was "Diablo" and I figured people would be scared enough without me saying "....and this is my sweet, cuddly doggy, Devil."

hehehe
Heather, Sarge, and Crew

(As seen on T-shirts)

rdneckwife
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » July 22nd, 2010, 10:21 pm

rdneckwife wrote:iluvek9-Actually, we renamed him "Sarge" because my husband, an ex Ssgt in the Air Force, insisted. His original name was "Diablo" and I figured people would be scared enough without me saying "....and this is my sweet, cuddly doggy, Devil."

hehehe

:neener: :neener: :neener:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » July 22nd, 2010, 11:12 pm

Welcome to PBT!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 23rd, 2010, 3:33 pm

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BullyLady » July 25th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Welcome to PBT! I wuv your puppy's spotty nose!! :mrgreen:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd