We're moving halfway across the country and we need advice!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Stormy » July 18th, 2010, 12:42 am

In exactly 2 weeks I will be throwing the pups in the jeep and heading west to our new home in Austin, Texas! :D

They both love to ride, but have never ridden more than 4 hrs at a time. Originally we were going to try to do 12 hrs one day and 6 the next, but that sounded like torture to me so I decided to break it up into three 6 hr days. So I need any and all advice you guys have to give on moving with dogs.

Also, Would love any advice on how to handle this situation with Laney (my pit mix) http://austin-or-bust.blogspot.com/2010 ... ember.html

I would just post it here, but its long and already typed up there.
Mom to Delaney Jade- Pit Bull mix
Little Jack Slade of Okeechobee Hill -Yorkie/Poodle mix. Both were adopted!
Stormy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 19th, 2010, 9:55 am

Can/do you crate them in the car? They may just go to sleep in the crate like as if you were at work for 8 hours at a time.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » July 19th, 2010, 1:54 pm

I agree that keeping them in crates would make the drive easier, for them and for you.
My dogs have come on long drives with me (10+ hours) and have been totally fine. I just let them out to stretch their legs and pee each time I stop for gas or food. I'm actually making a 16.5 hour drive with Dylan and Cairo next month.

To be honest, I think that leaving early in the morning (before the dogs are used to waking up) helps.

*Edited cause evidently I make typos when I get excited.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior