Flippng runs again - Arturo

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 8th, 2006, 5:33 pm

he has the flipping runs again... i am at my wits end here... he was tested for everything under the sun, all came back negative 3 times.... he was dewormed 3 times, and i cut his food back.. he was normal for a short time, now he is runny again...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 8th, 2006, 5:35 pm

More pumpkin...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 8th, 2006, 7:07 pm

maybe he just has a bad stomach and is getting little tidbits of contraband here and there?
:|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maryellen » May 8th, 2006, 7:21 pm

thats what the vet said. i am giving him now 10 mg of pred for the next 3 days to see if it works, the vet thinks that his intestines are inflamed..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 8th, 2006, 7:36 pm

I haven't been keeping up with this, but I'm sure you've considered food allergies?? :|

My male seemed to have this problem on & off forever, and just when I would think it was over, and I had found an appropriate food, it would start again.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » May 8th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Damn, sorry, ME.
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 8th, 2006, 8:25 pm

he is on california natural chicken and rice. i had him on the herring and sweet potato as well.... grrrrrrrrr.... at least he is only pooping 3 x a day.. i cut his food back yet again, and stopped giving him the acidophilus powder too, and now he is getting strictly dog food... well, it was nice while it lasted the good poop...

thats my house, the house of misfits.. and to top it off, no one wants him because he is missing 5 bones in his ankle...... all the apps were crap.. either they wanted toleave him outside during the day, or had another male dog.... why do i have this feeling he will be with me for a LONG time?????
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 8th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Did you think about trying a bland diet instead of meds? Sometimes medications bring on thier own set of problems. :|

Sorry about this, you have been through the wringer with this little guy :( .
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 8th, 2006, 8:52 pm

I was starting to wonder if it wasn't some type of food allergy...Sacha's food allergy presents as vomiting and diarrhea...while you don't have the vomiting, you do have the diarrhea...

Can you try fasting for a day or so? i know it's not a solution, but if his little intestines are inflamed, then feeding him isn't helping (think of what happens if you have a stomach virus and you eat)...once you go back to food, do bland...even JUST rice for a couple of days...put some beef broth (or veggie broth) in for taste...but that will help bind him....then slowly add either chicken or ground beef...also, have you thought about turkey?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » May 8th, 2006, 8:55 pm

i was thinking of that.. he had good poop for a few days, now back to the runs. he was only getting half a cup of dry w/ half a cup of canned,and doing fine.. now i am back to square one. he was done wi/ the meds last wednesday... the herring is a allergy formula, i thought that would be good... i gave him some regular rice tonight in his food to help, and a little bit of pumpkin again... (pulls hair out)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 8th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Chicken is a biggie for allergies . . . neither of my dogs can eat it.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby turtle » May 8th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Oh, I'm sorry to hear he's got the runs again... I'd try the bland diet of rice and cooked chicken for a week and see how he does. It could be all the wormers he's had recently.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Miakoda » May 9th, 2006, 1:34 am

Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 9th, 2006, 8:10 am

this morning he had solid poop.. last night after he ate his rice he didnt poop at all.. this morning i soaked some kibble in water and made mush, and added rice and a bit of canned pumpkin.. solid poop this morning.. the vet thinks his intestines/stomach are irritated from all the worms he had, so i am doing a rice diet w/ broth to get him back to normal for now...
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health