Shelter Closing, Desperate Situation - need donations

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Pumpkin has been at the shelter for almost a month. In this time we have gotten a home check and reference check done on her new foster family, gotten her spayed, brought UTD on her shots and tested for HW.

Pumpkin is HW positive and still awaiting volunteers to help her make her trip north, to her new foster home in CT. But this is not the desperate situation I am speaking of, this is...

http://wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?s=4866593

Pumpkin is living at this shelter, and as of this weekend her life is in danger. Dogs at this shelter are living in their own feces and are being neglected due to the shear numbers of animals that are at this facility. This facility is at max capacity at about 70 dogs, right now there are upwards of 170 dogs and cats there. Most likely, this weekend, the county will be coming in to shut the place down, and all dogs - sick or not will be PTS. We are in urgent need of foster homes.

The woman I work with and I are doing are best to help in every way we can to lighten the situation, but to no avail. As volunteers, we ultimately dont have that much say in the matter. I beleive that we finally have them convinced to move forward with euthaniasia, but they will start with Bully Breeds. Reason being, this shelter keeps them seperate from other dogs. That seperation means a whole pen is lost with one dog, when 2 or 3 "regular" dogs could be taking up this space. I fought and fought for this seperation and here it is biting me in the ass.

Pumpkin has been marked to be pulled and is safe for the next few hours, but due to the HW test coming back with a high positive, she will need to stay locally for at least a week or two- and she cannot stay at the shelter any longer. Today she will go to the vet to begin her HW treatment.

Here is where you come in, whether you can send prayers, good thoughts, or whatever - start them coming, not only for Pumpkin - but for all the dogs at this shelter.

If you have the means, we could sure use donations for Pumpkins care. Her HW treatment will be only 150.00$ - she needs special boarding for the week afterwards, to keep her calm and quiet and that boarding will be 15.84$ a day coming to 110.86$. Most likely she will then be moved to a less expensive facility where she will board for a minimal amount of time until we can get her transport details worked out.

Normally, I would not need all this assistance - but due to my moving out of my apartment, my funds are tied up in earnst money and for the home inspection.

Lastly, I can offer you a tax deductible receipt for your donation - which I have not been able to do before. So if/when anyone decides to make a donation - please enclose your address with the info so I can mail off the reciept for your taxes.

I hope some of you can offer your assistance yet again for a good cause. Thanks ahead of time!

Sarah
For the Love of Pits Rescue

My paypal is loveofpitsrescue@aol.com
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Good grief!! I can't help at all this month but I wish you luck. What a mess!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Karen » May 8th, 2006, 5:43 pm

All the dogs were adopted there is a link to the follow ups on the page
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Not ALL the dogs were adopted.

Here is the link http://wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=4875619

Over the weekend, we told you about 170 dogs in Jasper County in danger of being put to sleep (Jasper Animal Rescue Finds Homes for Dozens of Dogs). Today, we're proud to report that almost all of the animals have now been adopted.

The dogs had one last chance before they were put to sleep. The Jasper County Animal Shelter had 170 in need of homes, and limited space. The shelter had become overcrowded, with three times as many dogs as they could hold and had run out of kennels.

Many people went to the Bluffton PetSmart and left with new foster dogs, saving lives in the process.

Reported by: Brooke Kelley,

- I will keep everyone posted on her status, I will know more tomorrow when I pick her up!
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Let me elaborate...the dogs that were taken to Petsmart this weekend (about 15) were ALL adopted. There are still about 170 dogs still in need of help.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Neimo » May 8th, 2006, 7:08 pm

I really wish I could help but with Leupold just having surgery I'm BROKE! Please keep us updated!
Neimo
Just Whelped

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Thanks, tentative update!

No more donations needed for now. I have put a run sheet together for transport and if we can get it for this weekend, then we will have enough to cover costs for a week of boarding. She will still need donations for HW treatment, but we will apply to PBRC and post the difference.

Thanks to everyone who donated and sent their well wishes!

Sarah
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Karen » May 8th, 2006, 8:16 pm

bustersmama wrote:Let me elaborate...the dogs that were taken to Petsmart this weekend (about 15) were ALL adopted. There are still about 170 dogs still in need of help.

That's not what the article said at all. There was another article after that one.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Interesting...

I dont really care what the article says. It wont be the last time the media screws something up.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Karen » May 8th, 2006, 9:25 pm

bustersmama wrote:Interesting...

I dont really care what the article says. It wont be the last time the media screws something up.

http://wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=4869249&nav=menu89_2

And it wouldn't be the last time something was posted on a board that was a half truth or not fully disclosed. Call me a skeptic but nowhere does it say in any of the articles that the shelter is closing only that they were overpopulated.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby bustersmama » May 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Okay Karen, whatever. I don't feel like I am obligated to go into all the politics surrounding this situation and shelter with you, a person I have never met or care to at this point. I am pleading for the animals and particularly this one dog...if you feel like there are too many holes in my "half truths", then don't donate...I will depend on the people on this forum who know and trust me, which suits me fine.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Karen » May 9th, 2006, 6:50 am

So why do you have a NH cell phone number as your daytime phone and another state's number as your evening phone?
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby girlie » May 9th, 2006, 8:26 am

Not to but in, but i have one state area code at my home and another state area code on my cell, and another area code at my work (same state as home though). Area codes on phones don't really mean much anymore.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Karen » May 9th, 2006, 8:30 am

pitcess wrote:Not to but in, but i have one state area code at my home and another state area code on my cell, and another area code at my work (same state as home though). Area codes on phones don't really mean much anymore.

If NH was near GA I'd say sure it's possible. Last time we went to GA it took damn near 20 hours to get there from here.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby bustersmama » May 9th, 2006, 8:34 am

Thanks Pitcess!

This is the last time I am going to answer anymore of your questions detective...I lived in Nashua for two years and that cell phone is under contract still and I didnt want to pay 15 dollars to have the number changed...so i got a new cell phone. I moved cause i got divorced, anything else or should I call my lawyer??
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby girlie » May 9th, 2006, 8:42 am

Karen wrote:
pitcess wrote:Not to but in, but i have one state area code at my home and another state area code on my cell, and another area code at my work (same state as home though). Area codes on phones don't really mean much anymore.

If NH was near GA I'd say sure it's possible. Last time we went to GA it took damn near 20 hours to get there from here.

I understand your point, but let me say that my house is (literally) on one side of the country and my cell phone is on the other, and all i did was request that number, i never had to move or give proof of residence. Cell phones are a tough guide to go by. I know very few people that actually have the same area code as the area they live in.

(Again, sorry uf i'm butting in)
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Karen » May 9th, 2006, 8:42 am

bustersmama wrote:Thanks Pitcess!

This is the last time I am going to answer anymore of your questions detective...I lived in Nashua for two years and that cell phone is under contract still and I didnt want to pay 15 dollars to have the number changed...so i got a new cell phone. I moved cause i got divorced, anything else or should I call my lawyer??

Like that makes sese. You'd rather anyone local to you make a hell of a toll call to reach your cell phone?
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 9th, 2006, 8:58 am

Karen wrote:
bustersmama wrote:Thanks Pitcess!

Like that makes sese. You'd rather anyone local to you make a hell of a toll call to reach your cell phone?

I have many friends who did this so that people that they used to live near could always reach them because they kept the same cell number. And for the most part the friends in the new state call them with their own cell phones so it's not like it's a long distance call (unless you have a crappy cellphone plan) . . . a lot of people don't have landlines at all anymore. If I did move I would absolutely be keeping my cell number, no matter where I went to, so people I used to know could still reach me.

And pitcess, my friend just got a cell a few months ago. She lives in Boston and they gave her a CA number, much like you. So yeah, depending on what service you use it can happen.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » May 9th, 2006, 9:15 am

ok.. everyone BREATHE... lets get back on topic please .. Bustersmama asked for help for the dogs in an overcrowded shelter, she was told the shelter was closing.. irregardless of whether thats true or not doesnt really matter, what matters is the amount of dogs there, that could be euthanized if no one can help.. i think that the fact that a few of the dogs were rescued due to cross posting is great, and there are alot of others that need help.. 170 dogs in a shelter that holds 70 is obviously overflowing, and we all know what happens to shelters that have an excess of dogs.. the dogs that are certain breeds, age, etc will all be killed to make room for more incoming dogs..

sooooo, please lets get back on topic here, the issue is the dogs..

an area code for a cell/home number if in another state doesnt mean anything wrong... most people who move and keep their old cell number usually do so as they have alot of rescue/personal contacts and to change their numbers would be too much of a hassle to let everyone know and not miss any calls... i had the same cell for 10 years, decided to change the number, and i wound up loosing important contacts.... i will never do that again....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » May 9th, 2006, 12:25 pm

pitcess wrote:
Karen wrote:

I understand your point, but let me say that my house is (literally) on one side of the country and my cell phone is on the other, and all i did was request that number, i never had to move or give proof of residence. Cell phones are a tough guide to go by. I know very few people that actually have the same area code as the area they live in.

(Again, sorry uf i'm butting in)

Wow, I never knew all this! I have never had a cell phone and I have had the same land line for 20 years. Phones are not that important to me that I would want a blasted cell phone jingling at any time of the day... But I can see where it is helpful to many other folks, I just like my peace and quiet. I never knew you could have different area codes when you don't live in that state!

And good luck with the dogs. 170 dogs is a lot and if some are not healthy and have unsound temperaments, I hope the shelter will do the right thing and PTS. Not every dog should be saved... and it uses up huge amounts of energy and resources to try to save them all.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk