What do you make of this?? Copper again...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby a-bull » May 8th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Did the vet know he isn't usually crated?? I wonder why the crate, given that he isn't very active as a result of the pain anyhow. I wonder if one of those little fenced-in pens or a quiet gated area would be o.k.?? I always worry that people and animals that are stressed take longer to heal . . . and he doesn't sound happy. :(

My first dog had a slipped disk and couldn't walk or hold his stool, so it sounds like maybe your little guy may recover??

Hang in there. This must be hard on you two. I'm glad you found a support forum.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby turtle » May 8th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Awww poor little guy. But at least now you know what's wrong.

I'd imagine the crate is to keep him quiet and from moving too much, but if he's really unhappy in it, would it do the same to have him in an exercise pen or on a tie down?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 8th, 2006, 11:09 pm

The crate is to keep him confined in a small space. He was in terrible pain this AM - shaking and trembling and whimpering/groaning. The shot of dexamethasone took his pain away to the extent he actually escaped (my mistake for not having him on a leash) a bit ago when I took him outside, and RAN up the steps!!! :o He has to be carried up AND down. We'll be bulding him a ramp tomorrow...
Eventually he can be in a exercise pen but for now he needs the crate it sounded like. He's doing a bit better - his nose is out of joint but he's tolerating it...plus he starts the diazepam tonight. Hopefully that will help with the stress!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2006, 11:22 pm

Hopefully that will help with the stress!!

Oh yeah, he is going to be a happy little fellow! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » May 8th, 2006, 11:37 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
Hopefully that will help with the stress!!

Oh yeah, he is going to be a happy little fellow! :)

After last night I wish she'd have given ME some. :rolleyes2:
lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 9th, 2006, 7:01 am

Oh good . . . sounds like things are moving in a better direction for him.

Wishin' him continued success!! :haloGreen:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 9th, 2006, 3:03 pm

We love Copper so much. Even my husband who denies it.
Guess where he slept? Yep. In his crate.
But...it was between us on the bed last night...we couldn't even snuggle each other!
And yesterday, further proof that hubby is a softie with Copper - I was headed to the vet at 8am, well hubby works 24hr. shifts, from 7pm - 7pm the next evening. So at 8am, as I was almost to the vet, I look up and I see the ambulance headed to the vet coming from the other direction. Jeff had taken the time to come meet us at the vet!
I have a great husband. :)
Copper's OK today - tolerating the crate well (the Valium helps I'm sure!) We gave him his pills in a peanutbutter/flour paste "cookie" and he chomped them right down!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Hoyden » May 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm

msvette2u wrote:The crate is to keep him confined in a small space. He was in terrible pain this AM - shaking and trembling and whimpering/groaning. The shot of dexamethasone took his pain away to the extent he actually escaped (my mistake for not having him on a leash) a bit ago when I took him outside, and RAN up the steps!!! :o He has to be carried up AND down. We'll be bulding him a ramp tomorrow...
Eventually he can be in a exercise pen but for now he needs the crate it sounded like. He's doing a bit better - his nose is out of joint but he's tolerating it...plus he starts the diazepam tonight. Hopefully that will help with the stress!!

Dr. Fritz used to suggest doggie slings for dachshunds when they hurt their backs. I don't know if your vet suggested one or if they use them here.

Basically it is a vest that the front paws and back paws go through with a potty flap - then handles that are velcroed on just below his arms pits and snaped on near the back legs. You can lift him without hurting him or pulling out your back.

I used to think they were the funniest thing because it looks like a dacshshund purse with loooooong handles.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby msvette2u » May 9th, 2006, 3:36 pm

For moving him in and out of the house, we've been carrying his crate outside, taking him out and walking him on a lead - then putting him back in the crate while it's on the ground and toting him in that way. I'm sure we'll refine our techniques as we go, since it is recommended to keep him confined for up to SIX weeks...if not EIGHT...
msvette2u
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health