oh boy, not again...

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » July 10th, 2010, 2:52 pm

So most people that know me know that I'm longing for a second dog, and that my boyfriend would probably not speak to me for a month if I brought another one home. Some may remember my 1 week war with him 2 years ago when a small pit bull was brought to my work and I so badly wanted to bring her home, I got him to let me bring her home for the weekend, until the owners showed up on the Friday at 4pm, they had never looked for her, she was unspayed, and they shoved her nose in her pee when she let herself go on the clinic floor... They paid for her boarding, vaccines, and promised to bring her to get her spayed the next day, and obviously never came back...

Well, today someone dropped off a found tiny (30 lbs!) red and white female, suuuper sweet, with boobs like a hooter (she was at the end of lactation, some of her glands were almost normal sized)... She is in decent shape, a bit dirty, has some bumps and scrapes, used nails, knows how to sit... Sweet as sugar, wants to climb in your lap if you kneel next to her. At one point, I had my hand straight/stiff over her head, and she closed her eyes, lowered her head a bit and put her tail between her legs... Maybe she knows what being hit is, or maybe she was just being shy.

Anyway... my boyfriend just called, I casually mentioned her to him (I came late from work because we tried to locate the owner, she's wearing a choker and a 2008 town tag. Her name is Ginger. The phone number linked to the tag is a turned-off cell phone, and the owner isn't in public phone listings... Called the SPCA, the town, and put a craigslist ad.)... And right away in his voice I could hear the "oh crap, not again"...

Frankly with her just having been bred, not having up to date tags, I don't know what to think of a potential owner, which makes me want to bring her home... But who knows how she is with other dogs, J is kind of mellower nowadays. On the other hand, she was registered with the town at some point, and she's not into that bad of a shape... And her being reunited with a decent owner who would get her spayed, please!! would save me a loot of grief with my dude.

I just can't stop thinking about her, scenarios of good and bad situations defile through my head... I'd just die if some super sketchy person came to pick her up next week!

And if no one claims her, at least we won't let her go to the SPCA... One of our vets used to work there, according to her, they don't even put most pit bulls up for adoption... Which means they're never even seen by the public, and guess where they go. In the big freezer. So that vet would take her home for a few days, worst case. I know my boss won't let her stay any longer than Monday, we need the dog runs for the surgery patients... Oh boy.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TinaMartin » July 10th, 2010, 8:01 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed that it all works out.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » July 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Let's play the "what-if" game....And there are a lot of them. :wink:

You don't know how your dog and Ginger will get along. :dance:

You don't know if Ginger's owner is "a good one" because while WE would like her to be spayed...well...ya know, not everyone agrees with us. :rolleyes2: Also, you are reading into her reaction when you put your hand over her head (but you knew that.)

When I was the one who adopted out dogs at a private shelter, I disliked most people that came in. 8) I had to learn to overlook their annoying personalities and realize even THEY would make "good owners".

I think you should concentrate on "the boyfriend". I assume he is there to stay, :giggle: so you will need to accept that he doesn't want another dog. Probably like "ever". Unless of course he happens to find one? Which you could probably arrange. :smileUp:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 11th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Oh, Joyce, the "what if" game is already all played out in my mind - my brain hamster is running in his wheel real fast when it comes to having another dog. Crate and rotate would not be ideal, but doable.

The boyfriend is indeed here to stay - a second dog is where we butt heads the most. He got me Jessie 8 years ago for my birthday - he started it! haha no but seriously, I knooow. It's a battle between brains and heart. Not piss the boyfriend off and be sad, or be happy and he doesn't talk to me for months or something...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 12th, 2010, 5:58 am

call2arms wrote: It's a battle between brains and heart. Not piss the boyfriend off and be sad, or be happy and he doesn't talk to me for months or something...

I guess it comes down to the same thing, every time...how good is the sex?

:neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 12th, 2010, 10:28 am

:shock: Oh Joyce.

Except for not wanting to have a house full of dogs and other critters running around, he's A1. He cooks (very well), and sometimes cleans, too. He's currently preparing french toast with rhubarb.

So far no emails from the craigslist ad for the pup, and no calls at work (I believe, I told everyone to let me know if anything happens)... Poor girl. She was sooooo thirsty when she came in on Saturday.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » July 12th, 2010, 10:33 am

Can you *foster* her for a while, and see how everything works out? :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby call2arms » July 12th, 2010, 10:38 am

Meeh. I used to foster rats - until we had 17 of them. And then *some* did leave, but he knows (or thinks) that foster is just another word for delayed adoption.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 12th, 2010, 4:22 pm

call2arms wrote:Meeh. I used to foster rats - until we had 17 of them. And then *some* did leave, but he knows (or thinks) that foster is just another word for delayed adoption.

8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 12th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Do you disagree with having a rat colony in an apartment, too? :D

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 13th, 2010, 6:05 am

call2arms wrote:Do you disagree with having a rat colony in an apartment, too? :D

:neener: I babysat a friends two rats, Ethyl and Lucy. They were very nice to me, but smelled.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 13th, 2010, 7:12 pm

My boys were neutered, so not so smelly. It's a lot of upkeep though.

So... Ginger went home today. Owner was a nice lady (is it a bad thing that I think she's a little trashy because she had super long BLACK fake nails?), doggie apparently dug her way from under a fence. She had her litter in september, if that's true, then she's been bred many, many times for having boobs like she did.

The lady had made a nice poster, had pictures to prove it was her dog... I had to let her go! She was so excited to see her owner, she was yelling! A very vocal dog indeed. I guess it's a good end to the story, even though the lady left so quickly (after many tahnk you's) that I couldn't place a word about spaying or updating the dog's tags...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 13th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I HAVE LONG FAKE FINGERNAILS POLISHED BLACK!!! :wave2:

So this story has a bittersweet ending. Dog loves owner; owner was looking for her. Hopefully she won't have any more litters.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » July 13th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Do you? Really? Then it's ok, but only because it's you. :D

Meh, I guess getting spayed perhaps would help her not to escape, keeping loving owner and dog together and reducing her risk of being hit by a car on the very, very busy 4 lane street that she was running on.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2010, 5:43 am

Um, no. I don't. But once I a student bought me purple nail polish with sparkles with his own newspaper route money, so I wore it to work. This was waaaaayyyyyy before purple was popular.

And you are right about her being with a person that loves her and she loves back. We can't always chose who we want for relatives OR owner's of dogs.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Pit Bull Talk