Dog bed suggestions?

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 6th, 2010, 8:17 pm

So I was looking at Inara's elbows today and they look bad! Each one has a very small (think the size of a pencil eraser) spot that looks all irritated and scabby/bloody. I've always looked down at the people whose dogs have rough elbows, and now Inara has them! :o And they must be very tender because she won't let me fuss with them to get a picture, and that's unlike her. So I want to get her a nice bed for in her crate, something with a lot of fluff or cushion. Right now she has an old comforter of mine, but obviously it's not doing the job.

I'm really not trying to spend a lot of money. Preferably no more than $40 (including shipping), if possible. Her crate is approximately 25x40ish.

Any suggestions?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BullyLady » March 6th, 2010, 8:28 pm

I really really really like the Costco beds. They are huge and fluffy, the covers are removable for easy cleaning, and they are only like $18
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenn » March 7th, 2010, 1:02 am

I'm not really sure what you're looking for (meaning as far as a "bed") but if you have a Tractor Supply they have huge pillow beds that are also smell of cedar and mine love them, the bonus is they were $9.99..... There are other options there if you have one, a little more expensive etc. but that's normally where I snatch new ones up.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » March 7th, 2010, 4:10 am

Its probably a combination of your cold dry weather I think you have and your already mentioned hard surfaces...

I'm surprised the comforter doesn't do the trick :|

another cheap option is a baby crib mattress, the foam is pretty thick, its rubber/plastic encased, and you can buy flannel crib sheets. I think total when I got one for Oscar it was maybe $50, which is cheap for a dog bed for a dog Oscar's size here. But I think it might be too long for the crate...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 7th, 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! I'll have to look and see if I have a Tractor Supply around me...and my friend has a Costco membership so I'll ask him to take me shopping!

Malli, the comforter is about 400 years old. Alright, I lied, it's probably 15 years old, so it's pretty thin and there's not a lot of fluff left. I'd tossed it in there as a temporary measure after I tossed her old bed after the flea fiasco, and ended up just leaving it in there. Her elbows show me it's time for me to get off my butt and spoil her a bit!

Thank you!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby hugapitbull » March 7th, 2010, 10:05 am

If spoiling her is the intent, just let her use your bed. :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Ino » March 7th, 2010, 11:30 am

I had purchased one of the cedar beds from Tractor Supply and so did my neighbor for his dog. She liked it but Ino would not go near it. Even if I used the clicker to get him to go on it, he would only lay part way on and never rested his head on it. He also got off it as soon as I released him and would walk around it if it was in his way instead of going over it. It was a nice fluffy bed and a great price (mine sold them for $20 but it may have been a larger bed). It did irritate my allergies so I had to give it to the neighbor, which is odd because I never had any problems with cedar small animal bedding when I worked at a pet store- maybe it was just chipped up more fine or something. It may be worth the purchase if they have them cheap by you though and if you have allergies, you can toss the bedding inside and use one of those egg carton things they sell for uncomfortable human beds- they work well and you can cut them to size and put them in the other bed cover. Also, for the elbows, maybe Musher's Secret will help. I read a review on Amazon where someone said it helped heal their dog's elbows. I purchased it to protect Ino's paw pads and it seems to be working well for that.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 7th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Shanna, trust me, at night she sleeps under my covers cuddling with me, but she does get crated when I'm away. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

pitbullmamaliz

Postby Malli » March 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Ino wrote:I had purchased one of the cedar beds from Tractor Supply and so did my neighbor for his dog. She liked it but Ino would not go near it. Even if I used the clicker to get him to go on it, he would only lay part way on and never rested his head on it. He also got off it as soon as I released him and would walk around it if it was in his way instead of going over it. It was a nice fluffy bed and a great price (mine sold them for $20 but it may have been a larger bed). It did irritate my allergies so I had to give it to the neighbor, which is odd because I never had any problems with cedar small animal bedding when I worked at a pet store- maybe it was just chipped up more fine or something. It may be worth the purchase if they have them cheap by you though and if you have allergies, you can toss the bedding inside and use one of those egg carton things they sell for uncomfortable human beds- they work well and you can cut them to size and put them in the other bed cover. Also, for the elbows, maybe Musher's Secret will help. I read a review on Amazon where someone said it helped heal their dog's elbows. I purchased it to protect Ino's paw pads and it seems to be working well for that.

Are you SURE it was Cedar? Long term exposure to cedar will cause small animals(and people, anyone working with cedar should wear a mask, preferably high quality) respiratory difficulty and can even cause death! They do offer Cedar Bedding for sale, but they also offer Pine, which looks very similar...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » March 7th, 2010, 4:38 pm

another cheap option is a baby crib mattress, the foam is pretty thick, its rubber/plastic encased, and you can buy flannel crib sheets. I think total when I got one for Oscar it was maybe $50, which is cheap for a dog bed for a dog Oscar's size here. But I think it might be too long for the crate...

I have one of these as well and they work well. Cheap too since I bought mine second hand. They definatley don't fit in crates though. Moses is in the biggest 700 crate they make and it's just a bit too long for his crate. So Brody uses it (we actually have it on a child's daybed frame) since he currently gets put in an x-pen when he's put up.

The costco beds are definately cheap and I might add that they usually sell throws that are pretty nice as well. Their beds tend to go flat rather quickly which dissapoints me. If she chews at all then I'd stick with a cheap bed but if not I'd spend a little extra and just buy a nice foam style bed. They hold up so much better.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » March 7th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Malli wrote:
Ino wrote:I had purchased one of the cedar beds from Tractor Supply and so did my neighbor for his dog. She liked it but Ino would not go near it. Even if I used the clicker to get him to go on it, he would only lay part way on and never rested his head on it. He also got off it as soon as I released him and would walk around it if it was in his way instead of going over it. It was a nice fluffy bed and a great price (mine sold them for $20 but it may have been a larger bed). It did irritate my allergies so I had to give it to the neighbor, which is odd because I never had any problems with cedar small animal bedding when I worked at a pet store- maybe it was just chipped up more fine or something. It may be worth the purchase if they have them cheap by you though and if you have allergies, you can toss the bedding inside and use one of those egg carton things they sell for uncomfortable human beds- they work well and you can cut them to size and put them in the other bed cover. Also, for the elbows, maybe Musher's Secret will help. I read a review on Amazon where someone said it helped heal their dog's elbows. I purchased it to protect Ino's paw pads and it seems to be working well for that.

Are you SURE it was Cedar? Long term exposure to cedar will cause small animals(and people, anyone working with cedar should wear a mask, preferably high quality) respiratory difficulty and can even cause death! They do offer Cedar Bedding for sale, but they also offer Pine, which looks very similar...

I am not sure if there is actual cedar in the dog bed, but whatever they did use to give it that scent gave my sinuses hell. I know we used cedar for the mouse cages at the pet store I worked at sometimes (we sold cedar, pine and aspen) and I never had any problems with my allergies but maybe it was because the wood chips were larger, but whatever they did with the tractor supply bed, it made my allergies intolerable so it had to go. That was just my experience though- the neighbors dog had no problem with it and the neighbor did not have sinus problems (I suffer with seasonal allergies and the bed gave me the same reaction I get during warmer months).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 14th, 2010, 1:59 am

I totally just posted a similar thread to this one - should have looked here first! :rolleyes2:
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby DemoDick » April 16th, 2010, 2:22 am

Go to a house sale armed with a $20 bill.

Walk out with a shitload of sheets and blankets.

Problem solved. :)
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby flibgit » July 8th, 2010, 3:25 pm

I make pet beds/covers/inserts. Feel free to PM me for details. 8)
Princess and the Pea Pet Beds. Extra-cushy beds for your pampered pets.
http://www.princessandpeapetbed.etsy.com
flibgit
Just Whelped

Postby WackyJacki » July 8th, 2010, 3:53 pm

flibgit wrote:I make pet beds/covers/inserts. Feel free to PM me for details. 8)

I recently bought a bed from Lana and she customized it to my specifications. It looks GREAT and the whole fur family loves it. :) She'll even search out a fabric you like if she doesn't already have it, which is awesome.

A couple of pics:

Custom collars, harnesses and leashes
http://www.collarshop.org
WackyJacki
Just Whelped

Postby tiva » July 8th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Woo, that's a cute bed!

For chewers, I like the Orvis tough chew beds. They've lasted us for years, and a simple toss in the washer makes them all nice and fluffy again.

LL Bean also has excellent beds that last absolutely forever.

Our Farm and Fleet beds keel over after a year. Not worth the savings.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2010, 9:29 am

flibgit wrote:I make pet beds/covers/inserts. Feel free to PM me for details. 8)

Do you have a listing in our Marketplace section??
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby flibgit » July 12th, 2010, 9:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Do you have a listing in our Marketplace section??

I did not. I didn't want anyone to think that I joined the forum just so I could hawk my wares. But I've added one now. :)
Princess and the Pea Pet Beds. Extra-cushy beds for your pampered pets.
http://www.princessandpeapetbed.etsy.com
flibgit
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » July 12th, 2010, 9:56 pm

flibgit wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Do you have a listing in our Marketplace section??

I did not. I didn't want anyone to think that I joined the forum just so I could hawk my wares. But I've added one now. :)

I don't think anyone minds, as long as you have nice wares! ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2010, 10:32 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
I don't think anyone minds, as long as you have nice wares! ;)

:giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Living with your Pit Bull