Seizure?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 8th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Does anyone know if there is any physical symptoms or a way to tell if your dog has had a seizure while you were away?

I came home today to find Jasmine's food bowl, which is normally left on the floor in her room, spilled over upside down and her food scattered all over. It is not abnormal for her to refuse breakfast lately, but she would never intentionally overturn the bowl and spill it everywhere. My initial thought when I saw it was "I hope she didn't have a seizure." Not sure why I thought this, but I do think there is sometimes reason to heed instinctual thoughts. Jasmine is a 13 y/o gal who is also having some problems with one of her arms (vets seem to think it may be nerve damage) and just recovered from a bite wound-- her antibiotics were finished on Monday.

She has a vet appointment tomorrow, re-check for her arm issues. I think we will discuss this then but was hoping to get some ideas.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » July 8th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Does Jasmine have a history of seizures?

Unless you actually whiteness the seizure it is very difficult to tell if a seizure has occurred. However, there is a postictal phase following a seizure. This is the "recovery" stage. They can appear disoriented, run into things, have difficulty walking, pant, or stare into space. They may also appear unusually lethargic, or sleep for a period of time. This can last a few moments to a few hours, depending on the dog. This does not confirm a seizure though. Its most useful in a pet that has a history of seizures.

What antibiotic was she on??
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » July 8th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Lots of :goodthoughts: for Jasmine
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » July 8th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Oh Allie, good thoughts being sent to Jasmine. I hope it wasn't a seizure and nothing serious.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I had a dog who had seizures years ago, and besides all the sympoms mentioned above she always lost control of her bladder/bowl functions afterwards...

Do you crate Jasmine while you aren't home?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2010, 7:27 pm

amazincc wrote:I had a dog who had seizures years ago, and besides all the sympoms mentioned above she always lost control of her bladder/bowl functions afterwards...

Do you crate Jasmine while you aren't home?

Good thoughts being sent to Jasmine...

And, yes, this is what Rocky used to show...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 8th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone.
She is separated to the TV room by baby gate when we are away (the others are crated in an adjacent room).
It is entirely possible she stumbled and fell over the bowl, as she is hobbly due to her bad arm. My inital scare was seizure.
I talked with the vet I work with and she thought there would probably be some other sign like urine or excessive saliva in the room. I see none of this.

She was on Clindamycin and is still on tramadol and deramaxx as needed
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2010, 8:56 pm

yeah I think you'd see a puddle of pee or drooly foam dried everywhere or all the water in her bowl having been drank etc...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 8th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Malli wrote:yeah I think you'd see a puddle of pee or drooly foam dried everywhere or all the water in her bowl having been drank etc...

That is what I would find in my house and didn't know Bearman (RIP) was having seizures until I actually saw one.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 8th, 2010, 10:05 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
Malli wrote:yeah I think you'd see a puddle of pee or drooly foam dried everywhere or all the water in her bowl having been drank etc...

That is what I would find in my house and didn't know Bearman (RIP) was having seizures until I actually saw one.

Thank you. That makes me feel better since I did not see these signs.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2010, 10:20 pm

something more dramatic anyway then a spilled food bowl ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » July 8th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Hum, could have been a partial seizure though (one limb, or 2 limbs of the same side, no drooling/loss of bowels/urination/loss of consciousness). Or it could have been something totally different and insignificant, hopefully. Is the Tramadol making her a little woozy, on top of having a hard time with her leg?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 9th, 2010, 7:09 am

I have nothing useful to add but wanted to send lots of good healthy thoughts Jasmine's way!

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » July 9th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Good thoughts for Miss Jasmine. It is so hard as they age.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 10th, 2010, 11:08 am

So, Dr isn't sure it was a seizure due to no other indications-- so that's good.

As far as her gimp arm, we switched from Deramaxx to Metacam to see if it make any difference. Off Tramadol for a couple days then back on to see if that makes a difference with the Metacam. If no change, she will go under sedation for more extensive Xrays.

Back on antibiotics for her wound that wasn't draining.

Ughh. Vet visit again next week. I think we need a standing weekly appointment. Poor thing.
Thanks for the good thoughts.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » July 10th, 2010, 11:17 am

I know what you are going through. Trouble had another episode of not being able to get her back end to support her this week following a day of bath, drying, and nail trims. She's becoming very fragile, and it isn't the cancer - it's her age.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Nutrition & Health