Interesting training development

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » May 3rd, 2006, 1:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Hoyden wrote:I say Bruha for a release command.

Which will be fine as long as you are not in a German tavern

It's Irish :) My da used to use it and I forgot the exact translation, but I think it's a shortened version of bruhaha or something like that.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » May 3rd, 2006, 3:18 pm

generally I try and use my regular voice for commands, with the exception of the heal. I use a high pitch, excited tone with the heal to get Oscar feeling the same, it also helps me keep my pace up and not be sloppy.
I use lower louder tones for the repeat correction after the command. e.g. command _______ *correction* repeat command with lower voice.
Sometimes if I am really ticked and he did something really bad I'll ramble for maybe 30 seconds after "Oscar no! Bad. Why would you do that? No!" It seems in the short term the longer I carry on the more he knows he's in trouble even if he doesn't understand all of what I say.
We also have a few phrases:
go get in the car
Lets go!
out of the bathroom! (its his weird obsession, don't ask :lol3:
ok, up on the bed.
off the bed.
and then his commands
off
leave
out
down, sit, stand
enough!
mat, or "on the mat"
kennel
wait
stop

we have a couple in formal no corrections word ques
dinner!
go have a drink!
go pee!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 6:44 am

Michelle, why are you mad at Riggs? I thought you said he did really well this weekend :?

I like the idea of different language commands, except I get the english ones mixed up enough! There is an agility seminar which has you rename all the obsticals fruits to teach the handlers how hard it is for the dog to remember all those commands unless properly taught, among other things.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:24 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Michelle, why are you mad at Riggs? I thought you said he did really well this weekend :?

I like the idea of different language commands, except I get the english ones mixed up enough! There is an agility seminar which has you rename all the obsticals fruits to teach the handlers how hard it is for the dog to remember all those commands unless properly taught, among other things.

I was wondering the same thing, lol It's just a dog being a dog. :D Just breathe . . . and maybe sign up for kickboxing??? :stickDance:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 10:37 am

I took an aerobic kick boxing class-what a rush! Boy, you get all your frustrations and anger out on the bag, you didn't feel guilty for biting anyone's head off, AND you worked out 'til you dropped! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to do something active. Just be ready to really sweat!

It helps when the instructor is a hottie too! Bald and muscular, mmm mmm!!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 10:38 am

I'm mad a Riggs because Riggs wqas a brat on Sunday.

I'm not mad at him anymore, but he's still a brat...

When I get back we'll be having weight pull boot camp.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:46 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I took an aerobic kick boxing class-what a rush! Boy, you get all your frustrations and anger out on the bag, you didn't feel guilty for biting anyone's head off, AND you worked out 'til you dropped! I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to do something active. Just be ready to really sweat!

It helps when the instructor is a hottie too! Bald and muscular, mmm mmm!!

Hey, now, don't tease! Post photos! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 10:49 am

I used to think Jack was being a brat in agility. He would sniff, walk away, pee on things, poop in the ring. Oh I would get so MAD! This was my first performance dog.

Then after 2 years (yes, it took that long :oops: ) I realized I and the environment were totally stressing him out. The many hour drive, crating all day, all the people, all the dogs, a night in a hotel, me being nervous, working after being in the crate for hours, new equiptment, speaker systems, tons of food and toys everywhere, changed potty times, being on leash all the time, then me getting out of breath and yelling commands....I couldn't really blame him. If I was stressed and I understood what we were doing, how was he supposed to be relaxed? Once I started seeing it from his POV, we started working on things and he is so much better.

I certainly am not saying that this is what happened for you guys, it is just my expirience with my dogs.

Even if Jack was being a brat, it made me more productive to take the blame and change things rather than mope, which I have a tendancy to do. :oops:

I am glad you have forgiven him. We do love the bratty ones best, don't we? He looked phenominal in those pics, you have a very handsome boy there.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:55 am

Great insight!!

They're not pack animals, so I'm sure if you're using them for weight pulling, there are going to be days where they go against the grain, given that it's not their nature.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 11:05 am

Hey, now, don't tease! Post photos!

I didn't get any :cry:

He looked a lot like Vin Deisel :D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 11:17 am

He just flipped me the bird and sat there. I wanted to strangle him.

But it just proved we had a serious gap in training and that is 100% my fault. He was still being a butt head though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 11:24 am

Well, I am right there with you on the frustation levels.

I have to get off this dang computer now and get some stuff done! I have wasted the whole morning!!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » May 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm

I totally sympathise with you too michelle.

Oscar will have similar reactions sometimes.

I try to get excited over little victories with him, that way I don't look at the overall and get discouraged.

On more times then I'd prefer to count he's flipped me the bird, from both paws! I have a stubborn dog who can be a bit of a manipulator at times...

Sometimes my saving grace is to remind myself of his point of view, as mentioned. I remind myself that his brain has similar mental elements to that of a 3 year old child, and I forgive him.

Rat bastard dogs :twisted:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Maximus » May 8th, 2006, 4:17 pm

I know I'm jumping in here all wet behind the ears and a little late to boot, but I just wanted to point out that it is entirely possible (and quite effective) to convey "tone" in the use of hand signals. And dogs pick up pretty subtle body language cues. Ever see deaf people communicating? Ever see deaf people arguing? Believe me, there's no questioning their tone. lol

I've never worked with a deaf dog, but my own dogs know hand-signal commands and I've had many deaf friends and have used a lot of sign language myself. Heck, hearing people use gestures to convey and enunciate their tone all the time... we just don't always realize we're doing it.
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » May 8th, 2006, 7:52 pm

That's a good point, because I use some hand signals with my guys, and my girl knows the difference between the hand gesture for come, and when I gesture wanting her to 'come fast'---sort of the equivalent of a harsher or more urgent tone.

Good point. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior