Suggested basics for disc dog training?

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby dlynne1123 » June 24th, 2010, 12:41 pm

I have always wanted to inquire about training frisbee with my dog. I was looking for a thread here or any good articles anyone knows about? Is this a sport we can work towards or are some dogs just born for it?

I know in dock diving, basics are taught on teh ground, not water, so was wondering what basics are started with disc dog training? and I mean like tricks and jumping and all things frisbee. If i were to start I don't want to set my dog up to fail. We dont' really have events like this around me so any info is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Dani in Maine
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » June 24th, 2010, 1:19 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:I have always wanted to inquire about training frisbee with my dog. I was looking for a thread here or any good articles anyone knows about? Is this a sport we can work towards or are some dogs just born for it?

I know in dock diving, basics are taught on teh ground, not water, so was wondering what basics are started with disc dog training? and I mean like tricks and jumping and all things frisbee. If i were to start I don't want to set my dog up to fail. We dont' really have events like this around me so any info is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Dani in Maine

First I can talk to a few people and try to find someone in your area you can hook up with. It really does help to have someone who is in the sport to help with some of the basics.

Most dogs who have ball drive can be transitioned over to a disc. Some dogs need more work than others just like anything else. Does your dog have any ball drive right now? Ever played with a disc with her/him before?

There are definitely some positioning exercises and foundational skills you will need to work on (arounds, spins, weaves, scoots, directional cues, etc....) I would also suggest some bite work exercises which will help transition your dog over to using multiple discs.

The one thing about disc is that you really have to put in as much training with the human (yourself) as you do with the dog. I try to get in at least 3 days of throwing practice out at a field just by myself.

If you are interested I can put some info together for you and get you started with the instructional videos online.

There aren't a lot of comps near me either so traveling is unfortunately a requirement. I'm planning to try to get out to a few comps this summer but will probably have to travel out of state
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » June 24th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Hyperflite has a nice disc dog training DVD...that just happens to show some really pretty Aussies named Xander and Inara...and their dorky mom. ;)

But yeah, I own this one...and it's a good basics DVD for people that like to SEE what to do!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby dlynne1123 » June 25th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Well, she has a soft mouth but lots of prey drive so she chases, and drops, but doesn't retreive. Shes not so into the ball but my last foster dog loved it and frisbees, and anything i could throw. And he could catch anything and I would love to practice some techniques with my own to maybe help clients find another outlet for their dogs, and maybe compete someday with my own. It may be a doggie natural sport, or can I attempt to shape her to do some disc work, even if only for fun? Shes very athletic, and I enjoy training with her in general. Shes got some tricks from rally and trick dog training, over my arms, thru my legs, arounds, and loves to be moving. ( you can laugh but we were playing with doggie freestyle, but I can't dance as well as her )

We've got her just chasing and catching a soft frisbee right now, but she doesn't really care about balls. Can I transition prey drive into frisbee toss? I can compare her more to a JRT than a pit bull, in personality...less people, more chasing, and a one person dog. But shes never been fixated on that one toy. If she were smaller I'd enter her in terrier races!!! Vs my other dog, that is a bull in a china shop and wont' and we are working on bite inhibition! Cuz tugging is more fun than chasing. But shes just not the jumping and chasing type.

I'm just astounded at videos and the disc dog sport and I would love to play around with it a little bit.

I'd even be willing to travel to watch something. I am going to Michigan this august just to watch some fun DSO events and maybe enter the obedience. So traveling isn't an issue if my dog enjoys it.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » June 25th, 2010, 12:48 pm

I'm at work now but will put some info together for you this weekend
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » June 25th, 2010, 10:10 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Well, she has a soft mouth but lots of prey drive so she chases, and drops, but doesn't retreive. Shes not so into the ball but my last foster dog loved it and frisbees, and anything i could throw. And he could catch anything and I would love to practice some techniques with my own to maybe help clients find another outlet for their dogs, and maybe compete someday with my own. It may be a doggie natural sport, or can I attempt to shape her to do some disc work, even if only for fun? Shes very athletic, and I enjoy training with her in general. Shes got some tricks from rally and trick dog training, over my arms, thru my legs, arounds, and loves to be moving. ( you can laugh but we were playing with doggie freestyle, but I can't dance as well as her )

We've got her just chasing and catching a soft frisbee right now, but she doesn't really care about balls. Can I transition prey drive into frisbee toss? I can compare her more to a JRT than a pit bull, in personality...less people, more chasing, and a one person dog. But shes never been fixated on that one toy. If she were smaller I'd enter her in terrier races!!! Vs my other dog, that is a bull in a china shop and wont' and we are working on bite inhibition! Cuz tugging is more fun than chasing. But shes just not the jumping and chasing type.

I'm just astounded at videos and the disc dog sport and I would love to play around with it a little bit.

I'd even be willing to travel to watch something. I am going to Michigan this august just to watch some fun DSO events and maybe enter the obedience. So traveling isn't an issue if my dog enjoys it.

Remind me, and I'll bring my disc bag to the DSO... :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Ammadien » August 26th, 2010, 2:02 am

Is the dog interested in the discs at all? Like when you wave the disc or drag it on the ground "inticingly" does the dog go after it?

I'd start with feeding the dog out of the disc, and making that disc the fun/great/cool new thing in the dogs life.

We threw "rollers" - throwing the disc so it rolls along the ground, also our dog was very prey driven and it seemed to work for him.

Good luck with it! It's fun for us and we plan to compete at some point!

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby dlynne1123 » August 27th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Well we have converted from basic shaping to picking up retreive articles now. Now maybe I can back tie her and work on using her mouth. Any suggestions on certain types of discs? Softer ones, rubber, etc?

Red Queen: i won't be at the DSO! :-( Couldn't get time from work
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ammadien » August 28th, 2010, 12:02 pm

I got a bunch of hyperflite regular size competition standard. My dog has a pretty strong bite(pit bull, loves spring pole and tug), and even the cattle dog mix that my parents have has a strong enough bite to get through the standards easily. They do make a soft one that may work for you.

They fly fantastically, very predictable,even when they are all chewed and bitten up. They get my vote.

I'm sure others can chime in as well.

Have fun!

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » August 28th, 2010, 7:55 pm

If you are just getting into the sport I suggest a Hyperflite Jawz or a Hero Super Hero. They are tanks and fly like sh!t but they will last forever and if you are still trying to build some drive for the disc I would go with those. Get at least two and stick with rollers for now to build the prey drive and get your dog grabbing onto the edge of the disc on the rollers.

I usually buy about 100 fastbacks in build for about a $1 a piece. They are competition style discs and fly much better but only last 1 or 2 sessions before they are toast.
maberi

Postby Ammadien » August 29th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Where did you find them for about 1 buck a piece(in bulk obviously). You prefer the fastbacks to the standards? I realize they stay in the air longer, but they seemed a little odd to throw...probably just because I wasn't used to throwing them.

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » August 30th, 2010, 8:23 am

Ammadien wrote:Where did you find them for about 1 buck a piece(in bulk obviously). You prefer the fastbacks to the standards? I realize they stay in the air longer, but they seemed a little odd to throw...probably just because I wasn't used to throwing them.

Nate

I buy my discs fastback misprints since they are reduced in price at http://www.dtworld.com/Misprints_s/319.htm

I don't notice much a difference in the Frisbee Fastback vs the Hyperflite Standard. They are almost exactly the same weight but due to the low cost I can get on the Fastback misprints, I stick with them.
maberi

Postby Ammadien » August 30th, 2010, 11:06 am

There it is, that is a good price. I think I was paying ~2 dollars shipped for the misprints from hyperflite.

Thanks for sharing!

Nate
Ammadien
Just Whelped

Return to Sports