Rally Q

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » June 7th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Does anyone here compete in Rally-O?
And if you do, would you mind explaining some of the things that go on,
what some of the signs mean, do you know what signs are going to be up before you go in? .........
I have competed in OB, and as far as I can tell we can do all of the first level Rally-O signs. (got some off of Ebay)
Just thought some incite from someone who has done it would help.
Thank you! :D
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Rolex+Deebo » June 7th, 2010, 11:59 pm

p-p-p-please? :sad2:

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » June 8th, 2010, 8:44 am

Rolex+Deebo wrote:Does anyone here compete in Rally-O?
And if you do, would you mind explaining some of the things that go on,
what some of the signs mean, do you know what signs are going to be up before you go in? .........
I have competed in OB, and as far as I can tell we can do all of the first level Rally-O signs. (got some off of Ebay)
Just thought some incite from someone who has done it would help.
Thank you! :D

Lol, I haven't competed but have seen a few events and have taken a few rally classes. You won't know what signs will be used until the day you arrive. They will give you a map with a listing of the signs so you can study it before it is your turn. Since rally has different levels, only the exercises (signs) for that level can be used in the area you will be working (rally novice, advanced and excellent)

You can find a breakdown of the rules and what all the signs mean at the link below. If you have any questions on specific signs after that, let me know

http://www.akc.org/events/rally/descrip ... _signs.cfm
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » June 8th, 2010, 8:47 am

I'm with Matt...I haven't competed, but I did some classes with a friend a few years ago. It's a LOT of fun, and if I had the time/money I'd get more into it again! :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby DeeNtheChillas » June 10th, 2010, 9:33 am

I'm contemplating an introductory Rally class with Val in the future. :|
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » June 10th, 2010, 10:35 am

DeeNtheChillas wrote:I'm contemplating an introductory Rally class with Val in the future. :|

The classes are fun. In my mind it is a much better and easier introduction into competitive obedience because there is a lot of interaction and feedback allowed from the handler to the dog.
maberi

Postby Rolex+Deebo » June 10th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Thanks for the link, that's what I needed. We can do all the novice, but need to practice going from heel to front, she thinks its backward, and gives me that "no mom ur massing it up" look. So how much are you allowed to talk to your dog? How many times can you repeat a command? Can you praise them? How do you know you said too much? lol :|

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » June 11th, 2010, 10:35 am

Rolex+Deebo wrote:So how much are you allowed to talk to your dog? How many times can you repeat a command? Can you praise them? How do you know you said too much? lol :|

You are encouraged to talk to your dog as much as you want. In general you want to stay at a good pace and get through the course as soon as possible (you are being timed). So although you can and want to give your dog a lot of feedback, you really don't want to stop after each exercise to pat them on the head :wink:
maberi

Postby maberi » June 11th, 2010, 10:41 am

Rolex+Deebo wrote:Thanks for the link, that's what I needed. We can do all the novice, but need to practice going from heel to front, she thinks its backward, and gives me that "no mom ur massing it up" look.

One thing you can do in novice (in practice and competition) is take a few steps back after you bring her out in front of you. It gives you a bit more room to get a straight front with your dog. I would do a lot of luring for the behavior at this point and then you can fade it pretty quickly once she catches on.
maberi

Postby Rolex+Deebo » June 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Thanks so much!!! :)
OK, so the trial is in a week. And I just realized that there is the "around the back turn" in Novice, I have no clue how to do it! LOL watch, I'm gonna spend a week teaching it, and then its not even going to be in there.
How many signs do you have to do in one "test"?
Im getting nervous. lol Im a dork!

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » June 21st, 2010, 8:41 am

Rolex+Deebo wrote:Thanks so much!!! :)
OK, so the trial is in a week. And I just realized that there is the "around the back turn" in Novice, I have no clue how to do it! LOL watch, I'm gonna spend a week teaching it, and then its not even going to be in there.
How many signs do you have to do in one "test"?
Im getting nervous. lol Im a dork!

Does your dog know an around yet? If so, you just need to add the "human turn" for the around the back turn. The dog is sent around (clockwise) and as the dog crosses your front you turn to the left (counter clockwise) 180 degrees. As you turn and your dog finishes their turn they will end up in heel position (just like a regular around) Usually this is done while walking so it is a change in direction.

I don't remember how many signs are used (10-15?) The course really isn't very long and it probably won't take you more than a minute or two to complete.

I wouldn't stress too much. Rally is supposed to be fun for both the dog and handler and if nothing else competing is great to get some experience under your belt so you have an idea of things you may need to work on.

Good luck!!
maberi

Postby Rolex+Deebo » June 23rd, 2010, 11:24 pm

Thanks, we now have the turn down good. We can do it all! :) LOL
Now, the dog is all good, what I am nervous about is me remembering what the signs mean. I am quite dyslexic, and I have a feeling im going to be the one messing up. LOL

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dlynne1123 » June 28th, 2010, 2:12 pm

I agree that luring and shaping are great, to help teach your dog to follow your hands. You can direct your dog in Rally, so once the food is gone they will still follow your direction. In two finishes, left and right, this helped with my girl. So we have the 'around' command which is go right, and the 'get in command' which is left.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior