A Tribute

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » June 21st, 2010, 9:51 pm

This afternoon Trouble wouldn't move from the hallway. She whined and trembled, and would not attempt to get up. I assumed she was sore so I gave her 50mg of Tramadol about 2PM. Still no relief by 3 so I gave her another. At her dinnertime, she wouldn't get up to eat, so I took her bowl to her. She ate every bite. At 5 she still hadn't made any attempt to move and I panicked. I called Dr F, one of the techs spoke to me and put me on hold. She came back a minute later and told me she was waiting to speak to Dr F, he was in with a patient. She said normally she would tell me to come on in, but he had two bone surgeries he wanted to start as soon after 5 as he could. Another couple of minutes later Dr F came on the line. He talked through the symptoms and what I had given her, then asked how soon I could get there. Thirty minutes later he was waiting for us. He worked with her and talked to me until after 6. He found nothing physically wrong. He thinks it is a combination of age, arthritis, and weight. We are going to continue treating her with the Tramadol for a few days and if we don't get results, will try Rimadyl again.

I put Trouble in the car while he was looking up the max dosage for the tramadol. I went back in to pay and they told me it was no charge.

The man is an angel. He delayed his surgeries to see us, spent 45 minutes, and did it all at no charge. This isn't a one man show, it is one of the larger clinics in town. We, (and Trouble) are blessed to have him to care for her on this journey.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 21st, 2010, 10:02 pm

Don't scare me like that!!!!! Holy cow, I was hodling my breathe reading the thread until the end. Now that I can breathe again,
Good thoughts to Trouble. Get to feeling better soon sweet baby. What a great Doctor you have for your baby. Not enough of those around.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm

Missy, I was holding my breath as well.

You are truly lucky to have found a vet that cares for Trouble as much as you and Bob do.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » June 21st, 2010, 10:16 pm

The first sentence made my heart jump in my throat. I am so glad you have a great vet who can be there for you. Totally hoping for some relief for her.

She may not be into water but have you considered taking her to maybe some kind of a rehab place to do some swimming? It might be easier on her joints than general exercise and just easier exercise for her to do in general.

I'm just glad she was seen and is okay, I was really thinking the thread was going to turn bad fast. Don't scare me like that!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby BullyLady » June 22nd, 2010, 1:53 am

I fourth, fifth...? the don't scare me thing, I thought this thread was going bad places.

Your vet is awesome though, it's a special thing to find someone who cares for our furry loved ones as much as we do. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » June 22nd, 2010, 2:09 am

Grrrrr... I'm too old to be scared and have heart palpatations over posts starting w/"This afternoon Trouble wouldn't move from the hallway..." :shock: >( :rant: :hammer: :spank: :slap: :bitchSlap:

But your vet is VERY cool, and I'm glad Troubs is *okay*... phew. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » June 22nd, 2010, 3:46 am

Yea, stop scaring the crap out of us all!!!! Yay for awsome vets :D
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » June 22nd, 2010, 5:56 am

OK, I apologize for scaring everyone, but I couldn't figure any other way to do the tribute without presenting the details of why.

Here is the update through this morning. I'm not thinking she will get up before I leave, she's sound asleep and snoring!

It took a really long time to get her from the car to the house. As soon as I got her out, she rested for about 30 minutes in the grass, thank Dog that side of the house is in the shade in the evening! Then a few steps at a time and a brief rest til we were in the door. Then she camped out in the entranceway for another 30 minutes. I finally got her to the kitchen where she stayed until after 10PM. I gave her a second dose of Tramadol at 9 and about 10 she started acting like she wanted to get up. I let her take her time. She finally sat up, but couldn't quite get her butt up. She rested and tried again. On the next attempt, I helped steady her back end. Once she was up, she went flying down the hall to the bedroom. She laid on the floor for just a minute and decided she wanted in bed. It wasn't graceful, but she made it all by herself. She slept all night, and still is sleeping.

I have to get ready for work. Another update after 4PM when I get home.

Thank you all for the well wishes. They mean the world to me.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » June 22nd, 2010, 6:00 am

What a fabulous Vet you have found! I love mine, too. He believed me when I told him (years ago) that my Mom's dog was sick... because a psychic told her so! 8)

And good thoughts coming Trouble's way that she has a lovely day! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » June 23rd, 2010, 12:49 pm

Shanna, Jiminy Christmas! You freaked me out as well...how's Troubs today?

On another note, your vet sounds a lot like mine...they are few and far between, and they are saints...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 23rd, 2010, 8:47 pm

What a remarkable man. You are so lucky!

Hope Troub's on the mend quickly. :hug3:
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » June 23rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Shanna, Jiminy Christmas! You freaked me out as well...how's Troubs today?

Troubs is better today, but not 100%. Still favoring her left hind leg, but she isn't refusing to move. Right now she's laying in the kitchen floor wanting who knows what. I did stop and get her some Rimadyl on my way home. We'll see if that does the trick. Thanks for asking, Katie.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:Shanna, Jiminy Christmas! You freaked me out as well...how's Troubs today?

Troubs is better today, but not 100%. Still favoring her left hind leg, but she isn't refusing to move. Right now she's laying in the kitchen floor wanting who knows what. I did stop and get her some Rimadyl on my way home. We'll see if that does the trick. Thanks for asking, Katie.

She is waiting on her green beans. Now give her some grean beans!! :dance:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Return to Pit Bull Talk