Paws 4 a Cause

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 8th, 2006, 11:20 am

I signed Inara and myself up for a 1 mile walk to benefit a local shelter. I'm so excited that I'll be getting my baby out in the public eye! I hate the fact that she'll be wearing a prong, but she'll be better behaved that way. :rock:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 8th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Put a nice bandanna or scarf over it. Good for you guys, I hope you have a great time. Bring lots of treats and PAY ATTENTION to other people's dogs-many of these dogs are only in public a few times a year, and have no manners and may not be good with other dogs. When I did one there was lots of little barky annoying dogs lunging at mine the whole time. :rolleyes2:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 8th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Is that the service dog organization? We saw a demonstration by them in Grand Rapids, MI, when they opened a center there. We still have the stuffed "labrador" service dogs they gave our kids.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 8th, 2006, 2:30 pm

I second the scarf idea over the prong. You could even get her one of those feathered fru-fru thingies to put around her neck, or paint her nails even! Anything to make her seem silly and not a "scary vicious pit bull."
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 8th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the ideas for covering the prong - I'll do that. And I'd love to paint her nails, but I tried once before and she flipped. I got half a nail done. :oops: My husband laughed at me. :|
Thank you also for the tip about watching other peoples' dogs - I hadn't really thought of that.
Here's the link to the event - http://www.pawsohio.org/
It is being put on by a rescue. There's going to be flyball and obedience demonstrations and I've never seen either, so I'm waaayy excited. I'm going to Petsmart tonight to get a backpack for Inara so she can help carry some of her own water (just a small bottle or two since she's not used to it).
I'm so excited! :-) And nervous - just last night the news was hyping up another local "vicious pit bull attack." An 8 y/o girl went onto the neighbors porch and the dog broke through the screen door or something. :| Not good, so I'm sure I'll get some nasty looks! :D

Sorry, just call me the crazy emoticon lady! :wink:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Asta » May 8th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Paint her nails and have a fab time :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 14th, 2006, 8:37 pm

We had such a great time today!!!!! I was unsuccessful at painting her nails, but she still looked cute anyway. We were there for about 3 hours, shmoozing with dogs and people. It was nice 'cause I found a couple local Bully Breed Rescues I didn't know about. So now I can volunteer with them! Inara did soooo well. My hands hurt like hell afterwards from her pulling me everywhere, and she jumped on everyone, but she interacted beautifully with all the dogs and people. It was really great. And I saw my first flyball demonstration, which was pretty cool. All in all, a tiring, but fabulous morning!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Pit Bull Talk