Sidda's poor feet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 14th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Sidney Bean is allergic to everything under the sun.
We have been managing her allergies well with a raw diet and Atopica.
However, lately her feet have gotten out of control. Swollen and red with leaky pustules in between her toes and pads, and she's been chewing like crazy. They are definitely yeasty.
So, tonight I made her soak them in a bath with ACV and I ordered some mal-a-ket wipes. If anyone has other suggestions, please help! Poor girly.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby hugapitbull » June 14th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Poor baby, (you and Sid)! Here are a couple of ideas - maybe they will help, maybe not, they are things we tried along the way with Trouble's allergy feet. She would lick and chew her feet until they were raw and bleeding.

There are cortisone sprays you can get from the vet - Gentocin I think is one of them. You may need a round of antibiotics. If I recall correctly they aren't real keen on giving prednisone in conjunction with the Atopica.

I've had good results with Vet's Best HotSpot Spray - it has tea tree oil and seems to stop the itch almost immediately. I have a set of musher booties for Trouble. I picked them up in Alaska one year when we were up there. They are polar fleece and velcro on, so they can breathe. When her focus is on licking, I make her wear a bootie. With her it is almost always the front paw, and of course now we can't afford to have the only front foot out of commission.

Soaking is probably a good thing, but be sure you get them dried. Damp feet and yeast probably aren't a good combination. Good luck - I definitely feel your pain.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » June 15th, 2010, 3:20 am

pustules indicate bacterial infection, but it could be yeast as well...

I'd also consider Epsom salt soaks, but as mentioned, its pretty key that you keep the feet dry. If its as bad as it sounds, I think an e collar may be in order to let the feet dry out and heal up from the trauma of the chewing and the licking for at least afew days.

The spray mentioned will help, Gentocin and betamethasone, what I know of is Topagen - but betamethasone is a steroid, and I'm not sure what the vet will feel about topical steroids. You could also ask about bathing the feet in antifugal shampoo (but do ask), it should have Ketaconazole in it? I think. The brand I had used with my dog is Nizoral.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 15th, 2010, 5:43 am

Poor baby. :( I hope someone's suggestion helps.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2010, 7:10 am

Mac used to get that all the time before we started his allergy shots and this worked extremely well for us: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2028
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 15th, 2010, 7:17 am

In case you can't make a whirlwind trip to Alaska to buy dog booties ( :wink: ) you can order fleece/velcro booties from dogbooties.com. They're cheap and actually do stay on.

I hope poor little girly gets some relief soon. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » June 15th, 2010, 8:27 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:In case you can't make a whirlwind trip to Alaska to buy dog booties
It's more fun though :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Natalie » June 15th, 2010, 9:56 am

Poor thing! We've been lucky enough to keep our guy's feet from getting that bad yet, but it sure is a constant battle. The following suggestions would be helpful after the infection has healed (e-collar for a few days?), but might help to prevent it from happening again. We have compiled these remedies from our regular vet and the doggy dermatologist, and these are for yeast infections, not bacteria:

1) Bathe in Nizoral shampoo (for humans) twice a week, work it in between the toes and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. The main ingredient it ketoconazole.

2) When the toes are wet from after the bath or from licking, spray with an athlete's foot spray containing miconazole. Get it in between the toes as much as possible.

3)Malaseb wipes (I assume are similar to malaket). Between the toes, around the nail beds. If allergies are from the outside, wipe right after outside time. I use these on Eddy's chest too as that's another of his bad spots.

4)Genesis steroid spray. This will have to come from the vet and be used sparingly (with gloves on). It is a helpful advantage, but it may have an effect on the way the Atopica works. Best to discuss with the vet.

Good luck!
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 15th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!
The vet was able to squeeze her in tomorrow for an appointment. Unfortunately I won't be able to take her, Phil will have to.
I'll let you know what happens.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » June 15th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Sending good thoughts for Sidney.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 16th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Sid went to the dr today and he didn't think her feet looked as bad as I thought they were. He just has me upping her atopica for now and rinse/dry feet regularly to clean off pollen.
Our malaket wipes should be on their way.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health