So, I'm crazy, I know.

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby luvmypitbull » June 13th, 2010, 1:50 pm

My 13 year old son is also autistic.
And Ella was the dog that taught him not to fear other dogs.

Dogs are quite amazing ! It is odd that as we go about "teaching" our little furfriends how much we "learn" from them !!!

If we decide not to adopt him, I'll ask the rescue head about out-of-state adoptions, and then I'll let you know.

That would be great. I have noticed that many of the rescues mention stipulations on adopting out of a certain range ! I really have an issue with that......if a person is willing to give one of their rescues a loving home, why should it make a difference how far off they live ? If it is because of the home check, why can't they work in conjunction with the rescue near the person wanting to adopt ? I guess bottom line to all of this is that there are ways to work those things out ! Anyway, I am still looking around trying to find my next best buddy.

By the way, I read all of the posts when you lost Ella, and I cannot tell you how I admire your strength and courage in the way you handled the situation. I guess the best way to sum it up is "Love, just pure love !!"

Sharon
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby Klopfer » June 13th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Omg, i''m totally in love!!! He's one of the cutiest puppys i've ever seen! :love:
They say "fighting dogs" grab on and never let go; and it's the truth! Smokey grabbed my heart and never let go.

http://www.schuldig-geboren.de
Klopfer
Just Whelped

Postby chewbecca » June 14th, 2010, 8:16 am

Man, his vet appt. for this evening can NOT come fast enough.

His KC is kind of nasty. I called my vet yesterday and was told to give him a tsp. of Robitussin DM every 8 hours and 1 aspirin every 12 hours.

Poor baby. He has mucous coming out of his nose sometimes, and when he coughs it's making him hack up mucous AND sometimes he's actually vomiting from it.
I've been taking him out only to feed him and for potty breaks. I HATE having to crate him, but he's not feeling well, and prefers rest.
Right now, I've let him out and have crated Ophie so that he can rest on the bed on my office with me. Poor baby.
But he wouldn't eat his breakfast this morning, but I'm hoping that's just because I tried to feed him a lot earlier than usual.
If he's not eating, I'll assume that either it's because he has so much mucous draining into his tummy that it's upsetting it or making him feel "full", or that maybe he robitussin is just keeping his tummy from feeling hungry/upsetting it.

Also, the robitussin is probably making him feel a little drowsy?
So, he may just want to sleep and not eat.

Ophie is whining in her crate. And whenever I have him crated, and her out, she will occasionally just go lay right in front of his crate. Not to tease him, just to lay there next to him.
Before we adopted Ophie, she had KC so bad that she actually had eye drainage and they had to do eye treatments with her.
He's not to that point...YET.
And hopefully we'll have been able to get him into the vet BEFORE that happens.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 14th, 2010, 8:24 am

chewbecca wrote:awww!

My 13 year old son is also autistic.
And Ella was the dog that taught him not to fear other dogs.

If we decide not to adopt him, I'll ask the rescue head about out-of-state adoptions, and then I'll let you know. :mrgreen:

Two pups under a year old...brave girl... :shock:

He's really, really cute...but I'd honestly think long and hard about two pups around the same age...it can be REALLY hard to deal with as they get older, for many reasons...especially as they're in the "good n' easy" stage now. ;) It's a bit irresponsible of the rescue, imho.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby chewbecca » June 14th, 2010, 9:03 am

Please explain.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 14th, 2010, 11:20 am

TheRedQueen wrote:

He's really, really cute...but I'd honestly think long and hard about two pups around the same age...it can be REALLY hard to deal with as they get older, for many reasons...especially as they're in the "good n' easy" stage now. ;) It's a bit irresponsible of the rescue, imho.

Why do you feel that way, Erin?
I would think it would be easier to raise two pups together who are around the same age, live by the same rules, and aren't *set in their ways* yet.
I feel that dogs are creatures of habit, and the sooner you mold their behaviors and teach them what's acceptable in your household, the easier life will be once they get older.
I also don't think that the puppy stage is "good n' easy"... quite the opposite, actually... it's TONS of work...lol
Sepp and Faust are just about seven months apart in age, so it's not exactly the same situation - but they are extremely bonded, and I think part of that had to do w/the fact that they adapted fairly easy to each other because of their ages... OR, maybe I just got really, really lucky??? :| :?
There is always the potential for DA, now and in the future, but that goes for any multiple-dog household, doesn't it?

Maybe we can make this a separate topic? :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 14th, 2010, 1:00 pm

I'm a bit concerned with the lack of appetite, I'm not sure what time it is there, but if you call and explain they might be get you in earlier at the vet's. It is unlike a young dog not to eat - I'd say typically if they aren't free fed they'll eat whats put down right off the bat
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » June 14th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Malli wrote:I'm a bit concerned with the lack of appetite, I'm not sure what time it is there, but if you call and explain they might be get you in earlier at the vet's. It is unlike a young dog not to eat - I'd say typically if they aren't free fed they'll eat whats put down right off the bat

Ditto. I just had a friend go through this with one of her pups and he ended up in the ER very sick with pneumonia :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby chewbecca » June 14th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Well, he ate a handful of food for me later this morning, and he JUST ate a cup or so of kibble for me.
I added water, because I was more concerned about his lack of fluid intake than his appetite.
He ate that food right up, and then when I came in with my lunch, he would have gladly eaten that as well! :D

I'm allowing him to stay in the office with me for now. He seems to rest pretty well. I also kept him in the bathroom with me while I took a hot shower so the steam could work on him.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 14th, 2010, 1:48 pm

That is one good looking pup! (Keep him! :wink: )
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » June 14th, 2010, 11:50 pm

whoa cutest baby ev!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » June 15th, 2010, 1:19 am

How'd the vet appointment go???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby chewbecca » June 15th, 2010, 11:08 am

Appt. went well!
No fever, and his lungs and heart sounded clear and GREAT.

It's his throat. His throat is hurting him so bad that that is why he didn't want to drink or eat.
He put him on trimeth sulfa with a diagnosis of tracheabronchio-something-or-other, basically the fancy name for "kennel cough".
He put him on that antibiotic instead of doxycyline because Luke is only four months old instead of 6 months, and that med can stain and/or mess with their permanent teeth if given before they come through. So! He's trying him on that first, and if it doesn't work THEN he'll do the doxy. He's pretty sure the therma sulfa will work, though.
He also told us to continue with the robitussin DM and half an adult buffered aspirin or two baby aspirins.
But he also gave us codeine saying that IF Luke is still expressing pain after those two are given, then we can give him 1/2 a tablet every 8-12 hours, but he DID tell us the codeine will knock him on his butt and he'll sleep all day.
So, he said to only use it if Luke is expressing a lot of pain.
Luke weighs 28 lbs.

Oh, and he tested positive for round worms, so on Wednesday, we are going to give him a tablet of interceptor to treat that, and then in 2 weeks we give him another.

He also told us Luke should be on crate rest for the next 7-10 days until he is feeling better because when he gets excited, he starts coughing again, and he his throat gets super agitated.

He gave him a shot of antibiotic with pain meds in last night (different antibiotic than he sent us home with, but I cannot remember the name), and it was, like, we immediately saw him feeling better.
He started drinking water and eating for us.

I know he's not feeling well because he complies with going into his crate and resting until we let him out for potty breaks or to eat.
But we also will sometimes lay in front of his crate and rub his head through the bars. And we acknowledge him there. I feel awful that we have to crate him so much, but I know it's vital that he gets the rest right now.

In the morning, I crate Ophie for a bit, and I take Luke out and let him lay in the office with me.
It's just kind of important to keep them separated right now because she just wants to play, play, PLAY with him, and he wants to play with her, but he gets all worked up when she's around, and he just needs the rest.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 15th, 2010, 11:40 am

Poor baby. :sad2:

The hardest thing will be to MAKE him rest and keep him from getting too excited, but since you've already seen improvement w/the meds he got he'll recover fairly fast... :)
Sepp was diagnosed w/the exact same thing (before his lymphoma dx), and my vet prescribed strong pain meds to keep him sedated and quiet, since any exitment would send him into bad coughing fits... lol

Good thoughts to Luke for a speedy and complete recovery! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » June 23rd, 2010, 9:49 am

amazincc wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:

Why do you feel that way, Erin?
I would think it would be easier to raise two pups together who are around the same age, live by the same rules, and aren't *set in their ways* yet.
I feel that dogs are creatures of habit, and the sooner you mold their behaviors and teach them what's acceptable in your household, the easier life will be once they get older.
I also don't think that the puppy stage is "good n' easy"... quite the opposite, actually... it's TONS of work...lol
Sepp and Faust are just about seven months apart in age, so it's not exactly the same situation - but they are extremely bonded, and I think part of that had to do w/the fact that they adapted fairly easy to each other because of their ages... OR, maybe I just got really, really lucky??? :| :?
There is always the potential for DA, now and in the future, but that goes for any multiple-dog household, doesn't it?

Maybe we can make this a separate topic? :)

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2043

http://dogcarejourney.com/288/raising-two-puppies/

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/living ... mates.html

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf

http://www.caninedevelopment.com/Sibling.htm
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » June 23rd, 2010, 9:59 am

Thanks, Erin... *off to read now* :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby chewbecca » June 23rd, 2010, 10:04 am

Thank you, Erin.

I DO spend time with each pup separately. I work on basic obedience with them both separately AND together.
Both crate separately, so far, like a dream.

I knew some people would be opposed to me having a resident pup AND a foster pup at the same time.

And I appreciate the feedback of experience and opinions.

But the fact is, it was my decision.
And I will learn how to handle the "two puppy" situation. Sure, I may have questions as I haven't had two puppies together since I was really young and still under my parents' care, and I hope that I am met with productive answers, and not a "WE TOLD YOU SO" type approach to any questions I may have. :D
But I doubt that will happen here since you all are very helpful. :)
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 23rd, 2010, 10:25 am

chewbecca wrote:Thank you, Erin.

I DO spend time with each pup separately. I work on basic obedience with them both separately AND together.

I do the same thing... each one of my dogs gets one-on-one time as often as possible, and I don't have a problem when I separate them. The boys are actually looking forward to "alone time" once in a while, and I don't ever walk them together because I honestly don't think I could control 120+ lbs. of dog if we came across an off-leash dog, or some other "situation" arose. :oops: :|
I guess for me it's almost second nature after having raised kids who each needed/wanted their "own" time w/Mom on a regular basis. :wink: :)

Interesting articles though... I can see how this could be an unhealthy situation for some sibling pups if the owner doesn't take some of those things into consideration.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby furever_pit » June 23rd, 2010, 10:28 am

After I got Gator I had several foster pups come through the house and added another resident dog, Cairo. All in less than a year. What you are talking about doing is basically how I worked it as well. I crated and rotated while providing individual attention and training several times a day. The only difference would be that not all of my dogs are allowed to interact with other dogs, so the time together would probably be more limited on my end. But, it's all about the structure imo. I also think I have gotten good results this way.

I think you will be just fine. Sure, there may be some hiccups along the way but that's part of owning dogs.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 23rd, 2010, 10:47 am

The other concern of course with bully breeds is that they have the potential to grow up and be DA...which would mean a lifetime of crate/rotate. I've got a friend with littermates that are now a year old and can't be near each other because they try and kill each other...granted she's clueless...but she's maintained C/R with other dogs over the years, but she wasn't expecting these two to be like this. :|

I'm not trying to be a downer...it's just sometimes the trainer part of me comes to the surface...and I have to look past the cute faces to mention what us dog trainers hate to see! ;)

TheRedQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery and Cinema