Oh Turtle people.... Look what scared Kinzyl

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby madremissy » June 11th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I know you probably are saying a turtle, really??? Well this wasn't any old turtle.

Kinzyl was laying out in her spot in the sun about 5 feet fromt he bird feeder. She has to keep those pesky squirrels away so the birds can eat. Next thing you know she jumps up and was running back and forth (she was on her lead and couldn't reach what had startled her). Sorry, Christine, she didn't think it was a turtle puppy. I think it pissed her off because it woke her up from her nap. :rolleyes2: I thought a squirrel had snuck down the tree and caught her off guard, but the next thing I see running full speed across the yard heading toward the woods was this HUGE blob. :confused: I went running out there and when I got to the woods I spotted this lovely creature.

**** disclaimer: I know the photos suck, but I did the best I could with my cell phone in the woods. :wink:

What is so special about this guy? Look at the size of him! That is a size 8 flip flop I used for comparison. Around here all I have seen are the smaller box turtles that are about the size of a small saucer. The last time I saw one this big was when I was a kid at my Grandfather's lake.

Poor little guy is missing his front foot though. You can see just was is left. He got around pretty good without it. I tried pulling him back to me to get a better picture and he is a strong little sucker.

So I have a few questions. How old would this turtle be? Do they eat birdseed? Thanks for looking.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 11th, 2010, 4:58 pm

That turtle would be pretty old....at least 8-10 years I'd say. Our red eared slider was just a bit bigger than that and he was close to 15. They might eat bird seed but more likely eating the bugs that the bird seed attracts.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » June 11th, 2010, 5:06 pm

yeah I vote for bugs or vegatation...

neat stuff! Thanks for sharing :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » June 11th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks Jeanine and Malli. He was probably eating the bugs. That is a good point. I am glad to know that he is that old. I am glad that he has our place which is far away from the roads for him to stay safe.
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » June 11th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Why are you trying to make him wear your flip-flops if he has one foot missing? :x
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » June 11th, 2010, 7:51 pm

I thought it might give him some traction. :wink:
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » June 11th, 2010, 9:39 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Why are you trying to make him wear your flip-flops if he has one foot missing? :x

Hahahahahahaha...lol

What shoe size do you wear? I'll be more impressed if you're a big foot. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » June 11th, 2010, 9:46 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
Hahahahahahaha...lol

That is a size 8 flip flop. Is that big??? Erin, you are not impressed with my new little friend? I guess I really lead a sheltered life :sad2: :oops:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » June 11th, 2010, 10:21 pm

madremissy wrote:I thought it might give him some traction. :wink:

heeheeeheee
airwalk
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 11th, 2010, 10:22 pm

How neat!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 11th, 2010, 10:38 pm

madremissy wrote:I guess I really lead a sheltered life

There is nothing wrong with a sheltered life! I like my sheltered life. Although Erin likes to reminded me of it often. :wink:

What an awesome find. It sounds like Kinzyl enjoyed finding it!! You are very lucky to live in a place where you get to see wildlife. Right now all I have is mutant misquotes, squirrels, and the occasional fox running up the sidewalks. :rolleyes2:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » June 11th, 2010, 11:15 pm

madremissy wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:
Hahahahahahaha...lol

That is a size 8 flip flop. Is that big??? Erin, you are not impressed with my new little friend? I guess I really lead a sheltered life :sad2: :oops:

:giggle:

I'm impressed...he's BIG! I just keep meeting people with dainty little feet lately.

My mum :heartbeat: 's turtles...I'll have to show her this pic. They have turtle stuff all over their RV (carrying their home on their backs like turtles)...I just bought her a turtle trivet/cutting board.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SLS61185 » June 12th, 2010, 3:57 am

I have a box turtle that is the side of a small/medium saucer plate at my mom's... I've had him since 2004. Pickiest eater ever! Was only bananas and worms... Now it's worms and homemade bread. You more or less just have to find stuff they like.

We came home the other day and there was a HUGE one sitting in the flower bed. It was the size of a dinner plate. I wanted to keep him :-( My husband said no though, so he went to check a couple hours later and he was gone. They are fast, though. If you put mine down outside and turn around for a second, he's gone! They never put him in the tank anymore because he headbuts it since he hates being in there... So they just let him roam around the room now.

For a turtle, he sure has A LOT of personality.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2010, 10:52 am

Thanks everyone. I thought it was so neat to see him. I hope he comes back to visit :)

and Erin my mom has the tiniest feet ever. She wears a size 5 1/2 and loves shoes. Daddy had to build her a special thing in the closet for all her shoes. :rolleyes2:
madremissy

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2010, 11:18 am

I guess my turtle find wasn't that amazing after all. :rolleyes2: :wink:

I would hope that people would brake for these turtles. If you hit one of these it would total your car.

http://www.wsbtv.com/nationalnews/23879220/detail.html
madremissy

Postby amazincc » June 12th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Oooh, she is PRETTY! :shock: :D

Could be a female looking for a nesting area, and she definitely looks mature enough (I agree w/Jeanine on the age)... I'm SO jealous. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2010, 8:55 pm

amazincc wrote:Oooh, she is PRETTY! :shock: :D

Could be a female looking for a nesting area, and she definitely looks mature enough (I agree w/Jeanine on the age)... I'm SO jealous. :wink:

This might be a dumb question but what kind does she look like? Would she nest in the woods? I have an area that I throw all my cuttings at and I swear something sleeps there or something because it is always dug out and then patted down like a bed. I thought it could be a deer bed. :confused: I am clueless when it comes to turtles :|
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » June 13th, 2010, 5:27 am

Missy! You can be a GRANDMA AGAIN if your turtle has babies!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » June 13th, 2010, 9:43 am

iluvk9 wrote:Missy! You can be a GRANDMA AGAIN if your turtle has babies!!!

:giggle:

Wouldn't that be awsome. I am ready for more little ones running around. :)
madremissy

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members