Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » May 17th, 2010, 5:48 am

I think the crisis is over. :) Vet wanted him to stop gacking for a long period of time, so from Friday night and on, he hasn't. Now, to keep it that way.

Thank you for the suggestions and support. And of course, thank you, Missy, for spreading the word for good thoughts on FB. It worked!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » May 17th, 2010, 7:20 am

[quote="iluvk9"]I think the crisis is over. :) Vet wanted him to stop gacking for a long period of time, so from Friday night and on, he hasn't. Now, to keep it that way.

Thank you for the suggestions and support. And of course, thank you, Missy, for spreading the word for good
:woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo: :woowoo:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Pit♥bull » May 17th, 2010, 9:02 am

iluvk9 wrote:I think the crisis is over. :)
I love great updates :dance:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » May 17th, 2010, 12:56 pm

excellent!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » May 17th, 2010, 9:01 pm

:) Yay for feeling better!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby call2arms » May 17th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Go Harley! Keep it down!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » May 18th, 2010, 5:59 am

I feel like we are out of the woods. :) I have increased his food to 1/3 can per meal (4 meals a day) and he hasn't gacked.

Thanks again, everyone!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » May 18th, 2010, 6:04 am

:confetti:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 18th, 2010, 10:49 am

:clap:

Yea for great news!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » May 18th, 2010, 1:24 pm

:clap:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » May 18th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Good thoughts are a powerful thing!!! :D I am so glad he is better. Now Harleybird quit scarring Mommy.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyPuppy » May 18th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Sorry to be so lat ... sounds like things are looking up over there!!! :dance:
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 12th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Okay. So I feel like such an irresponsible dog owner and idiot. :cry:

Harleybird stopped gacking. He was eating a good amount of canned ID mixed with my regular canned.

So, being a freaking know-it-all, I started decreasing the Reglan. He turned IMPOSSIBLE to get the pills into, so I stopped since he seemed to be okay. He was off it for a week. A few days ago he started gacking again.

I brought him to Vet today and he wasn't happy with me. We are starting from square one with Reglan, Pepcid and adding Sucralfate (from the human pharmacy).

Vet said after I STICK WITH THE PROGRAM he can determine if this is just a 9 year old dog with inflamed insides or he has to "scope him" to see if something more is going on in there.

Really, I feel like I failed my Harleybird. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » June 12th, 2010, 6:12 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Okay. So I feel like such an irresponsible dog owner and idiot. :cry:

Harleybird stopped gacking. He was eating a good amount of canned ID mixed with my regular canned.

So, being a freaking know-it-all, I started decreasing the Reglan. He turned IMPOSSIBLE to get the pills into, so I stopped since he seemed to be okay. He was off it for a week. A few days ago he started gacking again.

I brought him to Vet today and he wasn't happy with me. We are starting from square one with Reglan, Pepcid and adding Sucralfate (from the human pharmacy).

Vet said after I STICK WITH THE PROGRAM he can determine if this is just a 9 year old dog with inflamed insides or he has to "scope him" to see if something more is going on in there.

Really, I feel like I failed my Harleybird. :sad2:

You really shouldn't feel bad. Things seemed to be going okay, you didn't mean to have this happen.

Can you ask about getting the Reglan in injectable form and just give it sub-q? At least until he quits gacking then you could hide the pills in some ID?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » June 12th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Suzanne, I am a fainter. As in, I SEE someone hurt, getting a vaccination or a drop of blood anywhere, and I go down for the count. The only time I was able to do sub-q's was with Carlos Garcia (RIP) who needed daily sub-q's to keep him from dehydrating or he would die from his cancer. :sad2:

I managed to get all the pills down his throat tonight. He really is very good about it, as I stick my hand down to the back of his throat, put a pill there, close his mouth and rub his throat so he doesn't pretend he swallowed it and then spit it out.

Today was a good day for Harleybird. All the pills were in him and he ate 2 cans of ID (8 small meals). He lost 3 more pounds when he was at the Vet today, so if the food stays down, I am suppose to get 2-2.5 cans into him and in ten days start adding dry (moistened) ID.

He is such a good dog.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Can you ask about getting the Reglan in injectable form and just give it sub-q?

This cracked me up. I know my Joyce and I know that wasn't going to work :wink:

You are a wonderful mommy and you didn't fail Harley. Now quit saying that :bitchSlap: I am sure he will be fine once you keep giving him the medicine. :heartbeat: :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 12th, 2010, 10:35 pm

FYI... Reglan (metoclopromide) comes in a liquid, also available at the people pharmacy. That may be easier to shoot down his throat in an oral syringe. But it may depend on what strength he's on. It also smells AMAZING!! :D Butterscotch I believe :D But I'm with ya on the injections... They are not for me!!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » June 13th, 2010, 5:25 am

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:FYI... Reglan (metoclopromide) comes in a liquid, also available at the people pharmacy. That may be easier to shoot down his throat in an oral syringe. But it may depend on what strength he's on. It also smells AMAZING!! :D Butterscotch I believe :D But I'm with ya on the injections... They are not for me!!

I wonder if liquid is in "vet formula"? I will definitely ask. He gets 10 mg.

Thanks.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » June 13th, 2010, 1:07 pm

A human pharmacy can usually fill prescriptions for dogs and stuff. Your vet just calls the script into the pharmacy or they write one and you take it right in!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 13th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I'm almost sure we have a dog on it. 10mg would be 2 teaspoons (10ml's). But the tablets can be compounded by a pharmacy to make a higher concentration if you think that would be to much to give. The down side is its more expensive that way, and you may have to go to a special pharmacy. Hope he's felling better!!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health