Beezus has made several friends already...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » June 8th, 2010, 6:52 pm

So, I'm kinda eating my words about her being a little beast full of rage... :shock: :oops:

Totally different from what I saw at the vet... :|
She did growl at me and bite me on Saturday when I reached for her to get her out of the crate, but I was *thinking* that might've had to do w/her experiences at the vet - she was only handled on a "regular" basis when she was taken out of the cage if she required medical attention (mostly unpleasant for her), and very sporadically went out for play time for short amounts of time. All the vet techs are female and older, so her growling and biting resulted in them leaving her alone for the majority of the time she spent at the vet.
I now open the crate door and let her come out on her own... and she's totally fine w/being handled after that. I've "played" with her ears, her feet, her tail, and she let's me look at her teeth - when she gets uncomfortable she will lick my hand instead of biting me. :D
Bee is VERY dog-social and my boys are just awesome w/her... when she does bite too hard they walk away, and she'll stand there for a minute and "think". Then she'll rush after them, lick their mouths, and throw herself on her back in front of, or under, them... and all is forgiven. I adore my boys for being so patient and accepting... absolutely adore them. :heartbeat:
She has NO issues w/men or children, strangely enough... she met our mail man, my neighbors, my contractor and his crew - and her tail couldn't wag fast enough. She has the typical rotating-Pit-butt... too funny. lol
She IS cautious when meeting women, but she "wants" to say hi... no outright hostility, but it takes her a few minutes to deceide how and when to approach them which is totally acceptable, IMO, and I don't push her.
No food or toy aggression at all, and for such a young puppy she does great w/leash walking. Can't take credit for that - she was on-leash at the vet whenever she wasn't sitting in her crate to prevent her from biting every hand that reached for her, I guess...
No accidents in the crate so far... she's quite vocal when she needs to go out to potty, actually. I woke up this morning at 7 AM to hysterical shrieking because she needed to pee REALLY BADLY... poor Sepp was frantically pacing back and forth, and Faust kept right on snoring. :giggle:

Now for the "bad"... she is a yipper-yapper!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Barks at anything and everything, and pretty consistently... especially when she's worried or unsure. She spent an hour barking at a marrow bone this afternoon because she didn't know what it was. Once she figured out it was edible - she was fine. :crazy2:
She's a digger and has to be kept VERY busy or she'll get into all kinds of trouble. Boredom = frantic, high-pitched barking at... nothing. Must be the JRT side of the family... :rolleyes2:
I bought a tug-a-jug, one of those busy-bones, a puppy kong, and assorted other crap to entertain her... busy, busy Bee = quiet Bee.
She doesn't seem to get tired as fast as the boys... besides Pit/Jrt mix I suspect she's part energizer bunny... holy moly! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

But, all in all, she is a LOT of fun... and my contractor is absolutely smitten and wanted to take her home.
Bee spent most of the time following him as fast as her little legs would carry her, and the few hundred times he scooped her up she enthusiastically washed his face. He's a bear of a man, and his dog Brandy is the dog who gave Faust his first serious lesson in doggy manners. :D

I know it has only been three days, and we're still in our *honeymoon* phase, but I'm really enjoying her.
She will make someone a terrific companion, and i'm so happy I was able to take her in. :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » June 8th, 2010, 8:18 pm

I love how well your boys have accepted Bee. This speaks to what wonderful souls you and they possess! I'm sure they will teach her all sorts of great lessons for whatever time she is around them. Thank dog she is receptive to it all!

How is she with the kitties? Why can't your contractor take Beezus?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 8th, 2010, 8:32 pm

She hasn't met the kitties up-close and personal yet, but she's very vocal when she spots them... they don't like her too much because of it. :giggle:

Waiting to hear from Erin, because she volunteered to take Bee the very first day I posted about her... but if that doesn't pan out I told my contractor I'll let him know.
Bee will stay here until she's had all her puppy shots and she will be spayed before she can leave here.
It's not that I don't trust my contractor, but if I have it done... I know it's done, and I'll feel much better. :oops: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » June 8th, 2010, 8:50 pm

amazincc wrote:Bee will stay here until she's had all her puppy shots and she will be spayed before she can leave here. It's not that I don't trust my contractor, but if I have it done... I know it's done, and I'll feel much better. :oops: :)

Oh that makes perfect sense. I know what you mean and agree 200% on the spay! The puppy shots are another subject that I will not broach right now. :)
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 8th, 2010, 9:03 pm

HappyChick wrote:
Oh that makes perfect sense. I know what you mean and agree 200% on the spay! The puppy shots are another subject that I will not broach right now. :)

She already had the first two sets ((while being boarded at the vet), and rabies is mandated by the state... if she was MY puppy only the rabies would be happening, and that one *under protest*... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » June 8th, 2010, 10:24 pm

By all means...(I sent you a PM too)...I'd rather have her go to a new home than a foster (even if it's me!). I'll always find someone new to foster, I'm sure! ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby tiva » June 8th, 2010, 10:43 pm

I just saw her pictures--she is the most adorable bee on earth! I hope things work out with your contractor, so she has a permanent home, and so you can help him out if he needs a little coaching with the crazy bee.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » June 9th, 2010, 2:58 am

a vet friend of mine has a JRT, and thats what she said about them. They'll take her for a jog, and then a walk, and then a bike ride...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » June 9th, 2010, 8:51 am

You are doing such a wonderful job with her Christine :D

Pictures please.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 9th, 2010, 10:29 am

That is awesome Christine! So glad you gave her a chance!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 12th, 2010, 9:46 am

You are the best!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Training & Behavior