17 year old mother charged with manslaughter in QC

Postby call2arms » June 8th, 2010, 10:35 pm

So someone I know posted this on another board, I don't watch the news so had no ides it happened, but that's just crazy... A 17 year old mother left her baby strapped in a car seat on her apartment floor while having a cigarette with her mother outside, and at that time the 2 downstairs huskies entered her apartment and killed the child.

I'm not sure what to think, part of me thinks she deserves the charges cause she wasn't taking care of her kid, but it is her downstairs neighbour's dog who came in her house... Why were they loose?

This whole thing could have been so easily avoided.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100607/dog-mauls-newborn-100608/20100608/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amazincc » June 9th, 2010, 1:43 am

How horrible... :sad2: :cry: :(

Her own dog was locked away, and I bet she and her mother stepped outside so the baby wouuldn't be exposed to cigarette smoke... and they left their door open so they would hear the baby in case she cried.
A manslaughter charge seems very, very harsh... considering that those dogs didn't even belong to her and entered the apartment without her realizing it.
Yes, it was dumb to leave the baby on the floor in her car seat, but that one stupid move already cost her dearly.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 9th, 2010, 2:45 am

I'm not sure if thats the entire story. The boyfriend is quoted as saying it wasn't her fault, it was the dogs. I think we're missing something here...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » June 10th, 2010, 12:42 am

It's a weird and tragic story, and obviously articles never tell everything. I guess manslaughter is not necessarily the most appropriate charge... And yeah, losing your baby is more than enough to pay off for a mistake like this.

All the papers had articles on this in the morning, the most "shocking" Montreal paper had a big husky picture on it, with a box saying "Is your dog dangerous?"... I couldn't help but check the "quiz", thankfully it was a question-answer with a vet who was making sense.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » June 10th, 2010, 2:30 am

all I can think is that if this happened with Pit Bulls then the dogs would already be dead and there wouldn't be nearly as many questioning charging her.

I have mixed emotions myself.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby AllAmericanPUP » June 10th, 2010, 10:46 am

I have no remorse for people who put children in harms way. Leaving a baby alone strapped in a car seat on a floor is dumb no matter what the circumstances.

The article says they were "no more than 10 ft away" yea right if they were 10ft away the child would not have been mauled and killed.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby call2arms » June 11th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Actually there's been quite a few husky-related attacks around lately. One of the vets at work also works at the Montreal SPCA - people are dumping large dogs (especially huskies) even more in the last few days in fear for their kids. It's eompletely ridiculous.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to All the news that's fit to print