Dog Killed After Trying to Save Dying Owner

Postby HappyChick » June 9th, 2010, 9:22 am

This is just awful and so sad.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2111 ... ying-owner

Family dog killed after trying to save dying owner
June 4, 12:27 PM Dog News Examiner Penny Eims

Cleveland, OH - It appears that breed misconceptions may, yet again, have contributed to the euthanasia of a beloved family dog.

According to a recent story in the News-Messenger, faulty assumptions caused the death of a loyal companion that valiantly tried to save his dying owner.

In April, the Cleveland Municipal Court ordered that Zeus, a 140 lb Rottweiler, be euthanized for "the mauling death" of his owner, Carolyn Baker.

Baker, aged 63, was found dead in her driveway in February. Authorities assumed that the 140 lb dog had mauled his owner after seeing a few bite marks on her body.

The assumption was wrong. According to Cuyahoga County Coroner, Frank Miller, Carolyn Baker's body did have a few bite marks, and some evidence of pawing, but the woman died from a heart attack and hypothermia, rather than from a vicious dog attack.

According to the coroner, it appears that Baker's dog was trying to help bring his ailing owner inside to safety, hence the paw and bite marks. Rather than a vicious mauling death, the wounds sustained on Baker's body were caused by a frantic pet attempting to drag his beloved owner inside to warmth and safety.

Baker was lying outdoors in the cold for several hours, clothed only in her nightgown. Zeus barked continuously until a neighbor finally came out to see what the problem was.

Zeus paid for his efforts with his life. The 9 yr-old dog was put to death via court order. Carolyn Baker's family now knows the truth, thanks to the coroner's report, and they too believe that Zeus had tried to save Carolyn's life.

One has to wonder what might have happened to the dog if he was a Labrador Retriever, or Standard Poodle....perhaps a bit more investigation before an assumption of "vicious mauling death".
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » June 9th, 2010, 10:08 am

What a shame >(

R.I.P. Zeus
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 9th, 2010, 10:25 am

That really sucks. If I were that lady, I would haunt the crap out of those people! :x
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 9th, 2010, 10:40 am

:( RIP Zeus
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » June 9th, 2010, 10:51 am

RIP Zeus :( So damn sad.

We can take some comfort (if you believe in this sort of thing) that he is with his beloved owner now.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2010, 1:05 pm

*sigh* They could have at least waited for the autopsy report to come back. :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » June 9th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Marinepits wrote:*sigh* They could have at least waited for the autopsy report to come back. :neutral:

That was my same thought. Such a shame. :( RIP brave Zeus
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TinaMartin » June 9th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Poor Zues...
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » June 9th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I almost hurled when I read this article, seriously. I could not image loyalty like that being repaid by death. Then I realized the same thing Jenn said, Zeus and Carolyn are together.

I too, wondered why they didn't wait for the autopsy results, but we are talking Ohio. They took one look at Zeus and his fate on this earth was sealed.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 9th, 2010, 7:58 pm

What a disheartening story. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » June 9th, 2010, 8:26 pm

This smurfing pisses me off. Buford would do exactly the same thing if it were me and it breaks my heart to think of him being killed for it.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » June 9th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I don't doubt for a minute that if it had been a "good bred" that people would have immediately given him the benefit of the doubt and come up with all sorts of stories about what he was trying to do. But no. It HAD to have been a mauling death. At least the family knows, and can honor him, and I hope that they do.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby AllAmericanPUP » June 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm

That is terribly sad :(
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Return to All the news that's fit to print