Pustules on Belly

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 7th, 2010, 9:04 pm

So Mia, my 9 month old standard poodle, has about 7 strange green bumps on her belly. They look like they are filled with pus. They are no bigger than a yellow pin head. There is no pattern to their location, no crusting or redness around them. They don't appear to be itchy, she hasn't been licking them. I haven't found any on Kodi and they have been everywhere together. She does have anther red spot on her belly, but I'm not sure if its related.

They were not there Friday night at flyball practice, her belly got inspected for another reason. And she loves belly rubs so she is always showing me her belly. We went for a walk today and when I was checking for ticks and I found these. They both got interceptor/frontline on Friday night, which she's had before.

If there was crust around them I would say its impetigo. But I'm not sure as there is no crust and they don't appear to be itchy.

Erin took pictures of them today, so maybe she'll post them tonight :wink:

Anyone have any ideas?? :confused:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » June 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

My internet connection just came back...I'll get pics uploaded tonight! They are really weird.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 7th, 2010, 9:58 pm

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2010, 2:50 am

They look like typical dog pustules to me, or what I've seen them look like before :|
I've not heard of a dog getting impetigo before. Or is that Staphlycoccus? If so, then yes, it looks like a low grade Staph infection.

I'd check it every day and if more pop up then it it might be time for a visit and antibiotics.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 8th, 2010, 8:37 am

Kat...isn't she on antibiotics for the eye goop...or is that done with now?

TheRedQueen

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 8th, 2010, 9:19 am

She was on two rounds of antibiotic/steroid eye ointment for the green goobers. But they finished up, and was never on anything oral.

Malli wrote:I've not heard of a dog getting impetigo before. Or is that Staphlycoccus?

Impetigo is usually caused by staph or strep. But I've always seen it as honey colored, not green.

No difference in appearance this morning. Although she's been itching her legs, I can't find any bumps anywhere else on her, but all her dark fluff makes it hard to find them.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » June 8th, 2010, 9:22 am

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:She was on two rounds of antibiotic/steroid eye ointment for the green goobers. But they finished up, and was never on anything oral.

Ah okay...I couldn't remember! ;)

I'll be keeping an extra close eye on The Wiener's belly now...since he's gotten that rash!

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2010, 1:42 pm

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:She was on two rounds of antibiotic/steroid eye ointment for the green goobers. But they finished up, and was never on anything oral.

Malli wrote:I've not heard of a dog getting impetigo before. Or is that Staphlycoccus?

Impetigo is usually caused by staph or strep. But I've always seen it as honey colored, not green.

No difference in appearance this morning. Although she's been itching her legs, I can't find any bumps anywhere else on her, but all her dark fluff makes it hard to find them.

If I recall you're a people nurse?

Oscar gets pustules on a regular basis - he has for most of his life. They are usually a yellow or a greeny yellow color, sometimes white. The life and times of an allergic dog.

The scratching may be a precursor to the bumps/pustules, as I understand dog allergies, this is usually how it happens. The allergies cause irritation, which leads to scratching, and that, in combination with the irritation make the skin open to infection.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 8th, 2010, 2:19 pm

I'm actually a pharmacist.

Some of them actually look like they are starting to dry out, or have poped open and formed a scab. I've been putting a little bit of bacitracin ointment on them just in case.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby call2arms » June 8th, 2010, 9:58 pm

If it's bothering her, and getting worse (which it looks like it's not, since they're drying out), what we ususally do for those is cephalexin and clean with hibitane if needed.
Like Malli said, they're usually due to some sort of allergic reaction to god-knows-what. Jessie has them once in a while, not related to anything, and they just go away eventually. They gross me out more than they bother her.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » June 9th, 2010, 2:42 am

agreed. I am mostly successful in resisting popping them, which I'd always thought was probably not good.

If they aren't in a rash type pattern and they're just one or two, and Oscar isn't itchy, I just leave them with him.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 9th, 2010, 12:08 pm

More scabs this morning. She still has 2 green bumps, but they are beginning to flatten out. I'm going to continue with the antibiotic ointment. At this point I don't think I need to keep the vet appointment on Friday. But I won't cancel until tomorrow morning! But things are looking like they are moving in the right direction!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle

PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health