In case your area needs a Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby HappyChick » June 3rd, 2010, 9:29 pm

Several months ago I got this idea to look into Low Cost Spay & Neuter. We do not have anything like this at any vets in town and there is a definite need here. I'd like to share what I did in case anyone on this forum would like to try to get one set up in their community.

I looked up Spay USA's website which has contact phone numbers for several states. I found the number and called Illinois Spay and talked with Cathy there. She was excited about trying to set something up for my area! She explained to me that in order to set up a one day clinic in my area, she needed some contacts and especially a vet who would be willing to work with Illinois Spay. They need a place to set up the clinic and for obvious reasons, this needed to be at a veterinary clinic. I gave Cathy the number for my vet-Dr. Blakeley and also gave her information for our Animal Shelter and our local Humane Society. Then, just to make sure everyone was on board, I called our ACO at the shelter and told her all about what I was trying to do. I also called Dr. Blakeley and explained it all to her. I wanted her to know that Cathy would be giving her a call and that I was the one who had given Cathy her info. (The vets who help with a clinic like this do get compensated for their participation and the use of their facility). Even though I'd given Dr. Blakeley's contact info to Cathy, I realize that Dr. Blakeley could have said no if she felt she just couldn't do it. That would have been okay with me because this is a big obligation. Fortunately for Macomb, Illinois, Dr. Blakeley was totally on board! Anyway, Cathy made the calls and Dr. Blakeley agreed and now the low cost spay/neuter clinic is set for this Sunday, June 6. They will speuter at least 100 feral/stray cats, pit bulls, and pit bull mixes. It is exclusive to these animals because Dr. Blakeley thought this would be acceptable to the other vets in the area since she doesn't want them to think she's trying to take money out of their pockets. The price for dogs is $50 and cats is $25. I, along with several others from our community, will be volunteering on Sunday. This should be very interesting!

If you live in Illinois and would like to set up a clinic (they also do a mass transport if a clinic can't be set up in your area), you can call 877-475-SPAY.

Spay USA information can be found at: http://www.spayusa.org .
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 3rd, 2010, 11:00 pm

Wow, Angie!!! :shock:
What an awesome thing to do... :D :clap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » June 4th, 2010, 4:34 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » June 4th, 2010, 5:40 am

What a great idea you had! :idea:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DeeNtheChillas » June 6th, 2010, 11:48 am

A low cost spay neuter clinic would be just what my area needs - the SPCA does it for decreased cost but I have some issues with them, and the local rescue only does cats (they're out of funding for dogs). People out here have such backwards viewpoints on dogs - if more of them could get their animals S/N, I think it would be the first step to a more educated dog owner...
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby HappyChick » June 6th, 2010, 1:20 pm

I just got home from my 5 1/2 hours volunteering at the clinic. OH BOY! 7 Pit bulls and about 100 cats came through the doors to be speutered today. It's really an amazing operation. Each animal is checked out to make sure their health is sound enough for surgery. Any who are not found to be healthy enough go back into their crates and the owners money of refunded. The feral package also included a rabies vaccine. Additional vaccines could be purchased seperately for a low cost as well. All recovering cats had a person with them until they were awake and could be placed back in their crates.

I got to personally handle almost all the pit bulls that came in, weighing them, putting on their paper name collars, putting them in a pen, etc. I was the one who wasn't scared of the pitties. :D Most of the rest of the volunteers were cat people. I was rather disappointed that more pit bulls weren't brought in today, but hey at least those 7 won't be reproducing any more!

I hope we can have another clinic sometime soon and will call Cathy about that. I am just so pleased at the number of folks and animals who participated today!

Dee ~ so many people made comments about how great a deal this clinic is and it will be super if you can get one going in your community. PM me if you need additional information.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm

AWESOME!!!

Let me know if you are going to do it again and I'll send you some business cards to hand out to the Pit Bull owners!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby HappyChick » June 6th, 2010, 3:59 pm

mnp13 wrote:AWESOME!!!

Let me know if you are going to do it again and I'll send you some business cards to hand out to the Pit Bull owners!

Are they the same as the ones I found on here to print out? I printed them on card stock and did pass out a couple! :D

I'm going to carry some at all times because I never know when I'm going to get into a conversation about pit bulls.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Yup, they are the same ones. :)

That's great!!! I always have them with me - in my camera bag, in my regular bag, in my computer bag, in my car, in my training bag.... you name it! lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health