Look who Ella sent to us.

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby chewbecca » June 6th, 2010, 3:22 pm

I know. I have not been here much since we had to let Ella go.
I do so appreciate the phone calls, the emails, the messages, the condolences. I really do.

But the more I visited, the more I cried. I had to grieve away from everyone. The pain was too much for me to share. Believe me, I was going to dark places (NOT suicide darkness, just DEEP depression darkness). And it was PAINFUL. I got to a point where I was starting to fear not being able to come out of those places.
Being in this dogless house was just...oh god, it wasn't allowing me a break. Every single little thing was haunting me. And I just miss Ella soooooo much. I just couldn't STAND it.
I mean, on Tuesday, we left with our dog to have her drain tube removed, and we ALL came home with cancer.
Then she was gone the next day. And we came home to a dogless house. I was EMPTY.

And so, I talked it over with Ben, between fits of sobbing, and we had the idea to get another dog to fill this house again. Yes, soon, we know, but I just was having the hardest time with the fact that my house was SOOO empty of dog. We didn't have another dog to come home to, to focus on.
We had a dogless house filled with her stuff.

My best friend told me "You need to get another dog. Just go out right now, and GET another DOG. I KNOW you, and I KNOW this is hurting you, and you NEED to keep yourself busy with another dog."

And when I borrowed my neighbor's dog the other day, it confirmed it.

My best friend wasn't the only one who told me to get another dog, a few people did. "Ella will send you another as she doesn't want to see you hurt."

And I was on the phone with my friend Alicia, who works at a rescue in Chicago, and she was grieving with me as she just lost her dog Max to cancer not that long ago.
And then she mentioned how she had a bbq the other day and had a bunch of people and their dogs over. And she mentioned this puppy. A pit bull puppy. She was tiny. She was missing a toe (and they don't know where it went!). Her name was Ophelia. And she was staying at the daycare that Alicia is able to bring her dog Lily to because they specialize in the type of dog environment where dog aggressive dogs can go and be safe from each other.
Ophelia was basically dropped off there and someone brought her in and told the owner she found her. The owner took her in, vetted her, boarded her, and was just about to list her up on the website as adoptable.

I talked it over with Ben. We agreed to meet her. But we just knew. We KNEW she was going to be the one.

See, I had thought about fostering. I had thought about just going and getting ANY dog. But I couldn't do that. I had to meet the one.
And we met her.

We did not name her Ophelia, but fate shall have us keep the name.
As Ophelia means "help", and we honestly believe that this little girl was sent to us, by Ella, or the powers that be, to help us grieve, and NOT get stuck in a dark place, and to share love with another dog who needs us.
I mean, besides, who can get stuck in a dark place when they have a 3-4 month old pit bull puppy whizzing by with a bath towel hanging out of her mouth that is 20 times her size that she stole it out of their bathroom???

We have already made a vet appointment for Monday with our vet even though she was JUST at the vet yesterday.
She's got slight puppy mange that they were treating, but she has one treatment left.

Meet Ophelia, aka: Ophie, Ophi-Wan Kenophi, Phelia, goofy, silly puppy (and stay tuned for MORE nick names at a later time):

And this pic just seals the deal:

Before anyone wonders or even maybe says it, I am well aware that Ophelia is NOT going to replace Ella. NO dog will EVER replace Ella. She will always be my heart dog.
But this little girl needed us as much as we needed her, I think.

She, so far, is great with other dogs (CRAVES attention from them, even, but I KNOW she's still a young puppy), and she is GREAT with my kids. Oh, and I made the collar with the green stones because it's the canine cancer color (right???). I will be ordering ribbons conchos, though, and we WILL be making a Collars for Causes collar for Canine Cancer in Ella's honor.<---I mention this because I've had other people ask me about her collar, so I thought I'd head it off and put the info there. :D

I know Ella sent her to us.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2010, 3:28 pm

She's very pretty.

Which toe is she missing? and what do you mean that you don't know where it went? Was it not there when she was born, or was it removed??
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chewbecca » June 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm

She is missing one of her actual toes on her left paw. Not a dew claw, but a toe.
And it's just a cute thing they used to joke about because they didn't notice it right away. But it didn't happen with them.
It's either due to an injury or a congenital thing.
We're going to ask our vet about it when we bring her in tomorrow to see if maybe he can tell.
It doesn't stop her, though. :D

And thank you. :D
She's a pretty good puppy, but I also know we just got her.
But they said she was very good at the daycare/kennel.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2010, 3:43 pm

well, take a picture of her foot so we can see silly! lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chewbecca » June 6th, 2010, 3:50 pm

OK, give me a minute!
I need to finish some work, and then I'll try to get a pic of it.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » June 6th, 2010, 4:25 pm

She's beautiful! I'm so glad that you found something that can help your heart heal. I'm the same way you are....I don't deal with loss well and need something to pour my love into. *hugs*
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby HappyChick » June 6th, 2010, 4:26 pm

She is gorgeous!

I understand everything you said about the grief and Ophelia being sent to you and I agree. I've been there too. The new puppy never replaces the lost beloved, but they sure do help make the hole in your heart a bit smaller....

I hope Ophelia lives a long, happy life with you and your family.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2010, 4:47 pm

She is beautiful!!! And I'm SO glad you found each other... :hug3:

Before anyone wonders or even maybe says it, I am well aware that Ophelia is NOT going to replace Ella. NO dog will EVER replace Ella.
She will always be my heart dog.

Uhm... a "real" dog person would never think it OR say it, because some of us have lost our heart dogs... and we also have ended up w/a new puppy soon after. It's never about "replacing" the ones who are gone - it's about carrying on despite the loss and the pain, and allowing another creature into our lives who, for whatever reason, is in need of a great home and unconditional love at that particular moment... our heart dogs know us better than anyone, so - of course - they have a paw in picking out a good match. :wink:
Mick will always, always be my heart dog... but I couldn't have made it through my most darkest hours without having Sepp (and Faust) in my life, who give me a reason to get up in the morning.
I am glad you allowed Ella to do the same for your family. :heartbeat:

WELCOME to PBT, Miss Ophelia!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 6th, 2010, 5:27 pm

She looks like a lovely girl :)

Also having a single dog, I think I can understand just how empty the house would be.

I love her collar, it matches her colors so nicely.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 6th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Congratulations on your adorable new addition! I hope she helps you work through your grief while bringing you a lot of joy. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » June 6th, 2010, 6:16 pm

AAAAKKKKK!!!!!! What a doll face!!! I bet she will have LOTS of collars and leads!!! 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » June 6th, 2010, 7:20 pm

She is beautiful!!!! Totally understand the need and the pain...good for you for helping one that needed you. You know Ella would approve.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » June 6th, 2010, 8:07 pm

She is beautiful, I'm glad ya'll found each other. :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » June 6th, 2010, 8:43 pm

She's a beauty - she reminds me of Dar. What do you think Artgypsy?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Hundilein » June 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm

What a cutie!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » June 6th, 2010, 10:54 pm

She is precious!!!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby madremissy » June 6th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Rebecca, She is beautiful. She came into your life just when you both needed each other. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 7th, 2010, 11:44 am

That is so beautiful! Good for you!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » June 7th, 2010, 1:52 pm

She's gorgeous, I'm glad Ella sent you someone to help fill the void. I'm a firm believer in things kind of falling into place and working out as they should. I'm really glad this girl found you so you no longer have to be in such a dark place :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby DeeNtheChillas » June 7th, 2010, 11:31 pm

I love her name - love it. It fits her and she's beautiful.

I have multiple dogs because I'm afraid of a dog-less house. I can't imagine how hard it is. But I am so happy that you have her and that she has you. Only you know when it is the right time to fill that void - when the time is right, why fight it? :|
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Gallery and Cinema