When you foster a dog...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 5th, 2010, 10:31 am

How are your foster dogs treated in your household...? Do they have the same rules and privileges as your own dogs...or do you set different rules up for them?

My own fosters have much more structure in life than my own dogs. For example: my foster dogs are not allowed on the furniture (bed, couch, etc); they stay in crates when I'm not around or can't supervise them; they are fed downstairs in their crates (not in the general population)...unless I'm specifically testing out how they are with food guarding around other dogs); and are treated more like second class citizens around here (not in a bad way).

They DO get to be out and about in the yard for playtimes, they are allowed out in the house to play with toys and chewies...both under supervision. They go to flyball tournaments with us, they go to training classes with me, they go with me to play with other dogs when I'm doing dog-walking...they learn their basic stuff: sit, walking nicely on a loose leash, basic manners.

I don't allow them to develop potentially bad habits, and we work hard on getting rid of bad habits...but this to me means structure and rules...not spoiling them and allowing them privileges that they haven't earned. :| When they go to their new home, the OWNERS can decide if they want them in the bed, or on the couch, or whatnot...:)

I bring this up, because I've seen a lot of foster dog pics on FB on friend's pages that show foster dogs just lounging around in their foster mom's beds, or doing something I find obnoxious. Just because they're in rescue, imho, doesn't mean they can just get spoiled and not learn anything. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 5th, 2010, 11:38 am

I agree with you. My foster dogs have more structure until I know they won't kill my cats, etc. They typically get a bit more crate time and aren't allowed on my furniture and such. If they are a total 'insta dog' they will get more priviledges than some fosters after their two week crate shut down.

My fosters tend to be able to go out and about with me more for socialization purposes. And I also want to see how they do in different and interesting situations. Plus, because they are spending more time in crates I tend to take them to work with me more often. With people and dogs coming and going all day long I feel like it's good for them.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » June 5th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Well... okay then... *hastily shoves new puppy off the couch*... :oops: :smileUp:

I'm determined not to become attached OR start bad habits, since I don't plan on keeping this one... structure it is. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » June 5th, 2010, 12:30 pm

amazincc wrote:Well... okay then... *hastily shoves new puppy off the couch*... :oops: :smileUp:

I'm determined not to become attached OR start bad habits, since I don't plan on keeping this one... structure it is. :wink:

:giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Pit♥bull » June 5th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Well Erin..... Looks like you're going to have a lot of pooches worldwide mad at you :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » June 5th, 2010, 1:35 pm

if I ever had a foster I suspect I'd do it that way, with more rules and structure...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm

The couple times I've fostered my fosters have had more structure and less privileges. Like Erin, I'd rather not let the dog get used to being on the furniture or bed if the new owner isn't going to want that. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » June 5th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Typically my fosters have more structure and fewer privileges. Like you I don't want them developing habits their new owners may not appreciate or permit.
airwalk
I live here

Postby maberi » June 6th, 2010, 10:16 am

airwalk wrote:Typically my fosters have more structure and fewer privileges. Like you I don't want them developing habits their new owners may not appreciate or permit.

Same here
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2010, 5:05 pm

I really think that Erin *cough-posted-this-especially-for-me-cough*, so that Bee doesn't arrive at her house wanting to hog the bed and demanding the remote... :| :wink:

But, anyway... so far, so good. She's crated in the house, and I ignored the hour-long wailing she did last night because she wanted to come out.
She's also on a cable tie-out in the yard, with a chewie, during part of playtime, so my other two (or three) can interact with each other, w/out her constantly trying to bite them, trip them, and hang off their heads.

Interesting situation, this "fostering"... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » June 6th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Oh heck she's going to Erin that means you can spoil her rotten and Erin will have to fix it... :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2010, 7:43 pm

amazincc wrote:I really think that Erin *cough-posted-this-especially-for-me-cough*, so that Bee doesn't arrive at her house wanting to hog the bed and demanding the remote... :| :wink:

noooooooooooo

lmao
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 7th, 2010, 11:50 am

TheRedQueen wrote:my foster dogs are not allowed on the furniture (bed, couch, etc);

Question (because of my curiosity and hope to someday foster): Do you allow the foster dog to SEE your personal pets on the furniture or bed?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » June 7th, 2010, 10:00 pm

PetieMarie22 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:my foster dogs are not allowed on the furniture (bed, couch, etc);

Question (because of my curiosity and hope to someday foster): Do you allow the foster dog to SEE your personal pets on the furniture or bed?

Yup. :D I have a small house with little furniture...so the prized spots are usually taken anyway. ;)

My boarding dogs stay on the floor too...except for small lap dogs. :D

TheRedQueen

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:My boarding dogs stay on the floor too

Kodi didn't get this memo :wink: He must think he qualifies as a lap dog, or a scooter dog :dance:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior