Torn Nail

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » June 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm

Kayden tore one of the nails on his foot at the disc camp this weekend. It looks similar to what a human nail would look like if it tore up off of the nail bed. The nail portion is intact but it has pulled up away from his pad at the base of the nail.

I can't think of anyway to treat this other than to try to wrap it so it can heal. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » June 1st, 2010, 7:33 pm

When Bean took off his nails (two diff. nails, two diff. times)...the vet suggested soaking in a Betadine solution...so I just filled the tub, poured some in, and stood him in it for a while. Then I kept it wrapped to keep it clean. The second nail turned out to be the end of his toe bone too...(shudder)...but was a trooper. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 1st, 2010, 8:36 pm

Ouch. Inara sends her love to Kayden and says he needs to heal quickly because we'll be in NY in a few weeks and she might want to play with him and hump him silly and he needs to be at full strength to handle her.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » June 1st, 2010, 9:11 pm

Watch for infection. When Vinny broke a nail to the quick it got infected. The vet clipped the "non quick" part off to lessen the chance of him bumping it while walking, etc. and gave him antibiotics.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » June 2nd, 2010, 3:39 am

I guess it depends on the severity of it, often at the vets I used to work at they would pull whatever portion of the nail off that was torn, and then wrap it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » June 2nd, 2010, 8:43 am

Malli wrote:I guess it depends on the severity of it, often at the vets I used to work at they would pull whatever portion of the nail off that was torn, and then wrap it.

It is actually the entire nail. There is about 1/4 inch tear at the base of the nail where it attaches to his paw but the actual nail itself is still intact
maberi

Postby amalie79 » June 2nd, 2010, 10:45 am

River tore one of her dew claws playing ball a couple of months ago so that it was perpendicular to what it should be and it bled everywhere. Bless her heart, she still wanted to play! :crazy2: The vet said the torn portion had to come off, that he could handle it 2 ways and it was up to me: one, he could just count to three and clip, but it would hurt (lotsa nerve endings down there); or two, he could put her under and take it off, which would hurt less and cost more. I went with option 2. He did it right then and I picked her up a couple of hours later with antibiotics and Rimadyl.

I only gave her one dose of Rimadyl (I use it sparingly), and she limped on it for a week or so.

Good as new, now.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » June 2nd, 2010, 1:53 pm

maberi wrote:
Malli wrote:I guess it depends on the severity of it, often at the vets I used to work at they would pull whatever portion of the nail off that was torn, and then wrap it.

It is actually the entire nail. There is about 1/4 inch tear at the base of the nail where it attaches to his paw but the actual nail itself is still intact

Hmm... that is going to take a long time before he can use it normally, you may want to take him in...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » June 2nd, 2010, 2:20 pm

Malli wrote:Hmm... that is going to take a long time before he can use it normally, you may want to take him in...

Thanks, that is what I was worried about. I wrap it when I'm around but when I'm not home and he is crated I take it off because I'm afraid he will ingest the wrap.

Do you think they would remove the whole nail in a situation like this?
maberi

Postby hugapitbull » June 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm

Poor Kayden! That really sounds painful. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2010, 2:28 am

maberi wrote:
Malli wrote:Hmm... that is going to take a long time before he can use it normally, you may want to take him in...

Thanks, that is what I was worried about. I wrap it when I'm around but when I'm not home and he is crated I take it off because I'm afraid he will ingest the wrap.

Do you think they would remove the whole nail in a situation like this?

I can't actually recall when I saw them physically remove a nail, from what you're describing I don't think I've seen a dog with an injury quite like that. I would think it would be difficult for it to heal properly because of it flexing (even when wrapped) and such, and I wonder if it will stay "living"...
I would think they would probably just take it off and let it grow back, but I'm not sure how they would do that...
can you post a pic?
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » June 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am

Kayden's distemper titer was REALLY low when I had him in last visit so I had them order a distemper only vac. The vac is in so I'm going to have the vet check it out today to see if it needs to come off.

Disc season is gearing up so the last thing I want to have to do is rest him for a month :wink:
maberi

Postby maberi » June 3rd, 2010, 9:23 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Ouch. Inara sends her love to Kayden and says he needs to heal quickly because we'll be in NY in a few weeks and she might want to play with him and hump him silly and he needs to be at full strength to handle her.

When are you coming up? I've yet to meet the little wild one...
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » June 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am

Like I said, Sawyer took off his entire nail and toe bone...and he was back to normal pretty soon...John even accidentally ran over it once with the scooter, and Sawyer didn't even yelp. And he's a wimpy herder. ;)

If there is part of the nail hanging off, I'd ask them to clip it off, so he doesn't tear anything more and make things worse.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Ino » June 3rd, 2010, 10:10 am

Ino has had many nail tears/breaks (he is on suppliments in the winter for them) and some the vet left alone and had me wrap it and others he had to remove parts or all of the nail. One the vet just clipped with surgical scissors where it was only partly broken and was snagging on things and another time the nail had to be pulled out and chemically cauterized because it would not stop bleeding once it was removed. My vet gave me a wrap that was a no-chew bandage (the kind that sticks to itself) but Ino would still try to find the end and pull it off so I bought baby socks and covered the bandage with that. He did figure out how to shake his foot enough to get the bandage and sock off eventually though). I used gauze under the bandage for comfort and to keep it sanitary. It actually seemed less painful for Ino once the loose parts of the nail were off eventhough on some breaks, the whole quick was exposed and there was no nail left. He limped when the nail was still there and moved like a loose tooth but there was no limp after the vet removed it. He was only put on antibiotics when he had one break that was just a small sharp sliver of nail that allowed junk to enter under the nail bed and it got slightly infected but none of the full breaks ever had infection problems (although all his breaks are in winter most of the time there was snow on the ground which kept it cleaner- he only had a few when there was no snow). I hope Kayden's nail heals soon- it usually did not take too long for Ino's breaks to heal. We now have a regular dremel regiment to prevent them as much as possible in the colder months.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 3rd, 2010, 10:12 am

maberi wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Ouch. Inara sends her love to Kayden and says he needs to heal quickly because we'll be in NY in a few weeks and she might want to play with him and hump him silly and he needs to be at full strength to handle her.

When are you coming up? I've yet to meet the little wild one...

We'll be there June 15-21. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby TheRedQueen » June 3rd, 2010, 10:20 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:

We'll be there June 15-21. :)

Me too...though Score could give a crap about meeting Kayden, honestly...:giggle:

TheRedQueen

Postby maberi » June 3rd, 2010, 10:31 am

TheRedQueen wrote:John even accidentally ran over it once with the scooter, and Sawyer didn't even yelp.

Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud :wink:

What is the special occasion for everyone coming up?
maberi

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 3rd, 2010, 10:32 am

The photo shoot for the calendar.

pitbullmamaliz

Postby maberi » June 3rd, 2010, 10:34 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:The photo shoot for the calendar.

Ahhhh, gotcha

Well if Demo needs help holding lights for the bathtub shots or splashing soapy water on anyone, let me know :wave2:
maberi

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health