Lymph Node removal post-op condition questions

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chewbecca » May 31st, 2010, 11:09 am

So, on Thursday, Ella had surgery and had two of her lymph nodes removed in her neck.
She has a drain tube that will be removed tomorrow.

She spent most of Friday afternoon vomiting, which I know was most likely my fault as I accidentally gave her rimadyl and her antibiotic (simplicef) on an empty stomach (I had fed her because she was doing the "FEED ME" dance, grabbed my cup of coffee, went into my office, she came back in in the same time frame as she would have she eaten, so I assumed she ate).
Saturday she seemed to be doing much better.
But, while she's acting interested in food, she's not eating but maaayyyybbbeee a cup of food per day.
She was drooling a lot like she might be nauseous so we gave her one 10 mg of pepcid.
Over an hour later, she'd take tiny pieces of food from me, but she'd spit them back out.
I called the vet on call from our clinic, and since he wasn't the vet dealing with her case, I had to bring him up to speed on her surgery.
He had us give her another pepcid and some benadryl.

See, Ella's lymph node near her arm pit area has started to go from being slightly enlarged to the size of a marble, to now being the size of a shooter marble.
And she's getting these, what appear, to be fluidy bumps about the size and roundness of mosquito bites. These bumps pop up out of nowhere, then they'll disappear, then they pop up somewhere else on her.

The bumps are why the on-call vet said to give her benadryl.

He was unsure of why her lymph node would be swollen near her arm pit since we aren't sure if it's a cancer-related thing or not (waiting on results).

The surgeon who did Ella's surgery said that he removed two lymph nodes because the tissue was just completely necrotic.

My main question is:
Can the fact that she just had two lymph nodes removed (a pretty major surgery in my book) be causing the lymph node near her arm pit area to swell? Can this be a typical reaction to a surgery??

My other concern is her lack of appetite. I KNOW that the day after surgery they said it's totally typical for dogs to be completely out of it, vomit, and to possibly have diarrhea, but is it normal for her to have a lack of appetite now?
As I said, she perks her ears if I ask her if she's hungry, and she acts like she wants to eat, but she won't. I have to literally hand feed her, and that is only working about 20% of the time.

Also, her tummy seems bloated.
No, I'm not actually worried about "Bloat" the condition, because I think if it was bloat, it would have done its nasty deed by now to her.
She's not worsening, she's staying the same.

Through all of this, her eyes look good, and her incision area looks fantastic.

She follows us around, and no doubt in my mind she'd play ball if I were to let her. She's pooping and peeing just fine as of right now.

Does anyone have any insight?
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 31st, 2010, 11:25 am

:hug3:
I don't have any insight...but just sending good thoughts your way...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 31st, 2010, 11:53 am

I'm with Erin - unfortunately I have nothing useful but lots of good thoughts for Ella, and calm thoughts for you guys. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » May 31st, 2010, 1:17 pm

:goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » May 31st, 2010, 1:20 pm

If you were just asking about the inappetance, I'd say probably due to the meds, however the other things you mentioned make me more concerned. I'm reluctant to give you any guess or "probables" because of all the reasons you listed :neutral:

Have you had any drainage from the tubes?

I do hope she's just throwing a few curve balls out there and send good thoughts... :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 1st, 2010, 5:51 am

Love and kisses sent to Ella the flying-eared dog. I hope your Vet can calm you down with answers to your concerns. :groupHug:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Nutrition & Health