Shy Obedient Dogs Live Longer Lives

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby amazincc » May 26th, 2010, 4:39 am

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/05/25/shy ... ger-lives/

It's bad news for the snarling, angry dog on the corner, but good news for the mailman he terrorizes. Scientists have discovered that bold, aggressive dogs live much shorter lives than shy, obedient pooches, the New York Times reports.

Vincent Careau, of the University of Sherbrooke in Quebec, Canada, and his colleagues came to that conclusion by comparing numerous dog breeds based on their personalities. For example, poodles are ranked as 29 percent more docile than boxers, and Careau's team found that poodles are four times more likely than boxers to live past age 10.

Beyond simply looking at aggressiveness, the researchers also found that the most obedient breeds, such as German shepherds, poodles, and bichon frises, live considerably longer than hard-to-train dogs such as beagles and pomeranians, according to New Scientist. Careau used personality data based on a 1995 psychology study that ranked dog personalities, the New York Times reports, and also compared dogs of similar size.

Call it karma, or a mere accident of selective breeding, but for dogs, it seems, it pays to be good.

Uhm... okay then. I guess my dogs are doomed. Absolutely not a smidgen of shyness to be found in either one of them, and obedience is kinda sketchy... lol :rolleyes2: :crazy2:

Read "Gavins" comments on page 1... he's a CM groupie for sure. :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2010, 4:50 am

I'm thinking Duke is doomed also ;)
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » May 26th, 2010, 9:26 am

I've told everyone that my Inara is going to live forever...(she's made a pact with satan, I believe...sold her soul)...this just proves it. ;)

:neener:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 26th, 2010, 10:07 am

Do you think this goes for cats as well? I have a very shy cat. But as for my other cat and Petie, they are the definition of "not shy"
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TinaMartin » May 26th, 2010, 10:52 am

My not shy Shepherd/Boxer mix lived till 16 so I dont buy it.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby airwalk » May 26th, 2010, 11:31 am

Ummmm Poodles...shy....obedient....all I can say is they've obviously never met Magic, and he's going to live forever as my torment.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » May 26th, 2010, 1:43 pm

airwalk wrote:Ummmm Poodles...shy....obedient....all I can say is they've obviously never met Magic, and he's going to live forever as my torment.

I immediately thought of you and Magic, Diana... :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2010, 5:27 pm

amazincc wrote:I immediately thought of you and Magic, Diana... :giggle:

Pinhead is just misunderstood :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » May 27th, 2010, 11:06 am

Just from the title, I thought it was because the owners weren't going to strangle them. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Off-Topic