Bottle feeding a pup!

Postby luvmypitbull » May 26th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I need some help and all kinds of advice !! :confused:

I am about to get a new pup :D that will be about 19 days old when I get her. :mindblowing: She has been bottle-fed since about 3 days old because the mom was snake bit on one of her teats! Actually, after the snake bite, 9 out of 12 pups did not make it!! :sad2:

One of my questions - should I continue on the puppy replacement milk from the vet that she is currently being fed ? I was reading an article on bottle feeding @ leerburg.com and they had a recipe on there that has 11 calories per cc as opposed to 1 or 2 calories per cc from the commercial type. Their recipe contains goat milk, egg yolk, whole yogurt and Karo. :-?

Another question
- at 3 weeks (or almost) what about body and/or bedding temperature ?

I desperately need any and all help and suggestions !!

Thanks in advance !

Sharon

P.S. Will also need to come up with a name !
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 26th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Oh wow! I don't know any answer, but good luck. I hope it goes well!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » May 26th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Hey Sharon..... Trouble comes to mind :P :|
It's an appropriate name. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » May 26th, 2010, 1:46 pm

I don't know if I wanna envy or pity you... I haven't raised a puppy that young in forever. :shock: :wink:

I need to see a pic or ten to help you w/a name though. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 26th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Yes! Pictures! :)
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Okay....I think I can help you...I may have some experience with hand-raising a puppy or two (or 9 or 10 :rolleyes2: )...

I used that recipe that you mentioned, and it was fantastic! The one I used was this:

10oz goat milk
1 cup whole, plain yogurt
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp light corn syrup or karo syrup
2 scoops colostrum powder

Whisk or blend everything together, dont overblend so it gets bubbly. It has the consistency of regular milk. I kept ours in a container in the fridge - once you heat up a portion, dont reuse that portion. The stuff in the fridge can be kept for up to 7 days.

I'm sure you know this, but you want her to be on her belly when you feed her...don't hold her on her back (like you would a normal baby)...

Next, you still want to keep the puppy warm...we kept our puppies in a storage bin (without the lid, and we put a heating pad under it)...the key is not to have the entire bottom of the bin heated so that if she gets too warm she can move away...also, with it being summer, this may not be as much of an issue...so you need to gauge how much warmth she'll really need...

Also, you'll need to stimulate her to go to the bathroom. She may go some on her own...but she'll still need some help...use a cotton ball dipped in warm water to do this...and you want to use a sweeping motion (think of a mother's tongue)...

What else do you need?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitbull » May 26th, 2010, 4:34 pm

WOW !!!

First, I hope when I address any of you I do so correctly. If not, I'm sure I will find out !

I don't have any pics yet. Will post as soon as I can. I have 2 pups to choose from - one is white with brown spots on rump & the other blue with white markings. Since I'm not sure if I will be able to tell much about their personality at this point, I am leaning toward the blue one.

Okay, Mr. Mayor - yes, Trouble would be a very appropriate name for her BUT we all know there will never be but ONE 'Miss Trouble' !!! I have a couple of names I am thinking of but will post them later.

Katie - WOW & WOW again !! Thanks bunches for your input !! I have a couple of questions:
1) what is colostrum powder & where do you get it? The recipe I found did not call for it.
2) the pup will live in the house so with the A/C on, how do I know where to maintain the temp?
3) I had already read about the need to stimulate to use the bathroom. How long will I have to do that?
4) 9 or 10????? How did you get so lucky ???
5) I may (or should I say WILL) have other questions as I go !!!!!!!

Thanks to ALLof you for your responses and well wishes.

Sharon
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2010, 5:35 pm

luvmypitbull wrote:Okay, Mr. Mayor - yes, Trouble would be a very appropriate name for her BUT we all know there will never be but ONE 'Miss Trouble' !!! I have a couple of names I am thinking of but will post them later.

Sharon

Of course there will never be another Miss Trouble, but there could be a Trouble Too, or a Trouble Two :wink:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby katiek0417 » May 26th, 2010, 6:14 pm

luvmypitbull wrote:
Katie - WOW & WOW again !! Thanks bunches for your input !! I have a couple of questions:
1) what is colostrum powder & where do you get it? The recipe I found did not call for it.
2) the pup will live in the house so with the A/C on, how do I know where to maintain the temp?
3) I had already read about the need to stimulate to use the bathroom. How long will I have to do that?
4) 9 or 10????? How did you get so lucky ???
5) I may (or should I say WILL) have other questions as I go !!http://www.pitbulltalk.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=382146!!!!!

I am so glad to help...

They say puppies only need the colostrum powder for the first few days if they can't feed off of mom...but I used it the whole time my puppies were bottle feeding, and even used it as I started to wean them...

You can get it right from amazon.

I definitely wouldn't put her near a vent...but since she is probably mobile by now, she can move away from the heat source if she wants...but that's why you need to give her an area that isn't heated...usually by 2 weeks of age you can worry LESS about their body temperature because they are more mobile...

You may notice that she is going to the bathroom a bit on her own now, but I use the general rule of about 4 weeks of age to stop assisting with that...

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that dry dog shampoo and baby wipes (you can get regular baby wipes) are a must for handraising. In replacement of a cotton ball in warm water, you can use baby wipes that you warm up for about 10 seconds in a microwave...you want them to be warm, not hot...

The wipes (and dry shampoo) will also help as she does start to go to the bathroom on her own and starts laying in it or walking in it!

One thing to consider is do you have an older dog that would be okay with her? I'm asking because handraising single puppies is a lot riskier than raising a litter. Raising 8 or 9 puppies is harder...but not as risky. The problem with a single puppy is that they never have to fight for food nor do they learn doggie manners from other puppies in the litter...I've handraised a single puppy, and one problem with it is that it was INCREDIBLY food aggressive towards us...and very awkward with other dogs...so, the more you can have him around other dogs his age or older (but okay with puppies) the better...

And, yes, I had to raise an entire litter. I was lucky that Kendell (from this board) took half the litter and raised them for me...but that left me with 5...and if you want to read about the ordeal, it's all right here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30188

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitbull » May 27th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Oh my my my !!!!!!! What an ordeal !!! How is Dru doing now ? What about the pups - did you ever find homes for the rest of them ? Was any action ever taken on or against the negligent vet ?

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that dry dog shampoo and baby wipes

Why and how often do you use the dry shampoo? I presume for hygiene ??

One thing to consider is do you have an older dog that would be okay with her? I'm asking because handraising single puppies is a lot riskier than raising a litter. Raising 8 or 9 puppies is harder...but not as risky. The problem with a single puppy is that they never have to fight for food nor do they learn doggie manners from other puppies in the litter...I've handraised a single puppy, and one problem with it is that it was INCREDIBLY food aggressive towards us...and very awkward with other dogs...so, the more you can have him around other dogs his age or older (but okay with puppies) the better...

I had no idea...... I was only thinking about the moment....... My son has a couple of cur dogs that are almost a year old - BIG dogs. She would learn to defend herself for sure ! I was told the pup I am leaning toward seems to be pretty laid back - the other available one is apparently a little more dominant (they are 11 days old today). I will definitely need help with this as time goes on.

By the way, will there be a problem changing the formula on her ?

Thanks again for your help !!! And I sooooo hope all has settled down for you - you definitely deserve it !!

Sharon

P.S. By the way, I see you are 'Katrina' not 'Katie'. Sorry about that !
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » May 27th, 2010, 4:06 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Okay....I think I can help you...I may have some experience with hand-raising a puppy or two (or 9 or 10 :rolleyes2: )...

I used that recipe that you mentioned, and it was fantastic! The one I used was this:

10oz goat milk
1 cup whole, plain yogurt
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp light corn syrup or karo syrup
2 scoops colostrum powder

Whisk or blend everything together, dont overblend so it gets bubbly. It has the consistency of regular milk. I kept ours in a container in the fridge - once you heat up a portion, dont reuse that portion. The stuff in the fridge can be kept for up to 7 days.

I'm sure you know this, but you want her to be on her belly when you feed her...don't hold her on her back (like you would a normal baby)...

Next, you still want to keep the puppy warm...we kept our puppies in a storage bin (without the lid, and we put a heating pad under it)...the key is not to have the entire bottom of the bin heated so that if she gets too warm she can move away...also, with it being summer, this may not be as much of an issue...so you need to gauge how much warmth she'll really need...

Also, you'll need to stimulate her to go to the bathroom. She may go some on her own...but she'll still need some help...use a cotton ball dipped in warm water to do this...and you want to use a sweeping motion (think of a mother's tongue)...

What else do you need?

Yup, a good puppy mash.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » May 27th, 2010, 6:02 pm

luvmypitbull wrote:Oh my my my !!!!!!! What an ordeal !!! How is Dru doing now ? What about the pups - did you ever find homes for the rest of them ? Was any action ever taken on or against the negligent vet ?

Yes, they all have homes :) One is still with me, and I own another on breeding terms with a friend of mine. I did file a complaint with the state veterinary board against him. Dru is doing fine! She's happy as could be...and healthy!

luvmypitbull wrote:Why and how often do you use the dry shampoo? I presume for hygiene ??

Unfortunately when puppies that young start going to the bathroom on their own, they're a bit uncoordinated...so they tend to step or fall in their poop...and it's normal for it to be a little soft at this point...so it can make for a mess...

luvmypitbull wrote:I had no idea...... I was only thinking about the moment....... My son has a couple of cur dogs that are almost a year old - BIG dogs. She would learn to defend herself for sure ! I was told the pup I am leaning toward seems to be pretty laid back - the other available one is apparently a little more dominant (they are 11 days old today). I will definitely need help with this as time goes on.

It's not so much a problem with learning to defend herself...it's more learning she's not in charge...and it's hard to learn that from a human...I didn't know this stuff when I raised Rocky, although after what I went through with him, I did a lot of research...and everything pointed to the same thing: single hand-raised puppies are risky...

luvmypitbull wrote:By the way, will there be a problem changing the formula on her ?

Her poop might get a little softer, but it's probably a little soft to begin with given her age...I actually found my puppies had really solid poop on this formula!

luvmypitbull wrote:Thanks again for your help !!! And I sooooo hope all has settled down for you - you definitely deserve it !!

Sharon

P.S. By the way, I see you are 'Katrina' not 'Katie'. Sorry about that !

LOL! I don't get that lucky (one dog with an infected laceration in his foot, another dog that just had a TPLO)...It never ends around here!

And no worries, I go by Katie or Katrina...it's not a big deal to me :)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitbull » May 28th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Thanks again for all of the info. I did a search on behavioral issues with hand-raised pups and I am already wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew !!!! Oh, I feel that I can do the feeding, cleaning, etc. things but right now I am feeling totally inadequate in these behavior issues !!! :confused:

My whole thinking on going with a pup is because of my 8 yr. old autistic grandson that lives with us. He is not your typical autistic child - in fact, he is considered to have a-typical autism - however, he is very active ! Anyway, my thinking was that the pup could be raised around him and get used to him. I was afraid that if I got an older pup it could be too established in it's ways, etc. Now I am beginning to think this is all about to backfire right in my face !!!!! Of course. I was not expecting to get such a young pup either !!!

Oh well, first I will get it growing and weaned and then I will start on behavior. If you don't mind, I will probably be picking your brain (and everyone else's) about that as I progress ! ha

By the way, you sound like your life runs about like mine - if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all !! :D

Until later - Sharon
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » May 28th, 2010, 9:30 pm

luvmypitbull wrote:Thanks again for all of the info. I did a search on behavioral issues with hand-raised pups and I am already wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew !!!! Oh, I feel that I can do the feeding, cleaning, etc. things but right now I am feeling totally inadequate in these behavior issues !!! :confused:

My whole thinking on going with a pup is because of my 8 yr. old autistic grandson that lives with us. He is not your typical autistic child - in fact, he is considered to have a-typical autism - however, he is very active ! Anyway, my thinking was that the pup could be raised around him and get used to him. I was afraid that if I got an older pup it could be too established in it's ways, etc. Now I am beginning to think this is all about to backfire right in my face !!!!! Of course. I was not expecting to get such a young pup either !!!

Oh well, first I will get it growing and weaned and then I will start on behavior. If you don't mind, I will probably be picking your brain (and everyone else's) about that as I progress ! ha

By the way, you sound like your life runs about like mine - if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all !! :D

Until later - Sharon

So, your grandson is more of a high-functioning autistic? Sorry, I'm actually a psychologist... :| Autism is not one of my specialty areas, but is one that I have become much more interested in.

Trust me, I'm more than willing to help you with anything I can :mrgreen:

And, yes, you're right, if it weren't bad luck, I'd have no luck... :sad2:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitbull » May 29th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Well, I am still trying to figure out just exactly what 'high-functioning' is. My little Logan has PDD-NOS. You probably know what this is, but just in case, it is Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified ! We couldn't have a short name, no ! Even just using the initials is still a mouthful !! ha All joking aside, he does not have what I consider to be obvious 'autistic' symptoms. One thing is that he does not like to make eye contact - however, there are non-autistic people that don't like to look you in the eye !! He is not a touch-me-not. He is a very loving child. He is behind in his speech and language, however, he seems to have improved a lot on that this year. As a matter of fact, we go to the psychologist next Thursday. It has been 3 yrs. since he has seen him and I am very curious as to what his report will read. This last school year, Logan went to a new school - had a new teacher and had new paras. There were some other issues this year but since this forum is open, I dare not say all that is on my mind - at least on here !!! Anyway, this is all new to me and I am having to learn as I go or should I say as he goes ! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask. I will answer to the best of my ability !

By the way, is there a particular type or brand of colostrum powder I need to look for ?
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies