Puppy at my vet

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » May 25th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I don't want to post her in rescue until I'm absolutely sure she has been surrendered by her owners, but here's the story...

11 week old female Pit mix (Mom is a Pit, Dad is unknown) has been at my vet for the past three weeks. Her owners "backed over her", and she came in w/a fracture close to her hip... she may - or may not - need surgery later on, depending on how she's healing. Right now she is able to walk, but she's pretty much on crate rest.
The owners have not responded to repeated phone calls concerning the puppies care, and today a registered letter was mailed to them. My vet considers her abandoned, but legally they are obligated to jump through hoops and make all sorts of efforts before the puppy can be released to a foster home, or can be put up for adoption. Which sucks... because right now she should be socialized and have tons of interactions w/people, and especially other dogs (siblings and Mom) - instead she's stuck in a cage at the vet.
So, Faust and I met her... and she is very, very cute... but she is a little bundle of rage. She wants nothing to do w/people (she kept nipping and growling at the vet techs when they tried to pick her up), but she LOVES other dogs. She was very appropriate when meeting and greeting Faust, as was he (YAY!!!)... but she completely ignored me, and I returned the favor since she was clearly uncomfortable around all of us.
Once the vet techs left I sat on the floor w/both Faust and her, and she tentatively sniffed my shoes but that was it... she only paid attention to Faust, and made a point of backing up and looking at me very suspiciously every time I moved. lol
Sooo, I don't know about fostering her... she's a "project dog", for sure.
IF she's surrendered and a foster home can't be found - she'll be euthanized.
For the time being I have decided to go up there every couple of days and spend some time with her, so she's not stuck in her crate 24/7... the staff tries to engage with her, but they simply don't have the time to make a real difference.
I was thinking of doing some c/t for simple things, like her coming closer to me on her own... or making eye contact... very basic stuff. Yes? No?
I'm pretty sure she's been manhandled in the past, so I don't want to force myself on her. I'm hoping she'll figure out on her own that I'm "okay", even if that means that I'll just sit in the outdoor kennel w/her and basically twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours.
After that... I don't know... I'm not so sure I'm up to fostering a beast - and who'd want her???
Any ideas?

Oh, and did I mention that she is REALLY cute??? I'll be taking some pics later on in the week.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 25th, 2010, 7:57 pm

I'd take her and foster her...but I'd have to find a place to put Oreo. ;) Sounds like another Gibbs puppy to me! :) I'm up for a challenge this summer!

Seriously if she's really in danger...ship her up to me, I'm sure we can find a transport from NC this weekend! (Flyball in Manassas, VA and NC should be coming). ETA...when does she come available?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » May 25th, 2010, 8:08 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I'd take her and foster her...but I'd have to find a place to put Oreo. ;) Sounds like another Gibbs puppy to me! :) I'm up for a challenge this summer!

Seriously if she's really in danger...ship her up to me, I'm sure we can find a transport from NC this weekend! (Flyball in Manassas, VA and NC should be coming). ETA...when does she come available?

That would be AWESOME!!! :D :D :D
I'm not sure about all the legal hoopla and how long my vet is obligated to keep her before releasing her... I do know that a registered letter went out to the owner today. Then they have so many days to respond, and what-not... it's a nightmare for the puppy in the meantime, of course. I doubt she'll be available this weekend. :sad2:
I will definitely keep you updated though.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 25th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Okay...I'll wait. ;) Gives me time to get Oreo out of here...she's ready to be adopted, but I'm too far from the rescue to get her to events...I think she'll go fast at the first event. :)

I figured this weekend wouldn't work...that would be too simple! lol But we'll figure out something!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » May 25th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Oh, and I'm definitely willing to foster her short-term if need be... you know how I feel about euthanasia for "lack of space/(foster)homes".
Let's hope the "owner" plays nice and does what's best for the puppy... and SOON.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 25th, 2010, 8:33 pm

:) Yup...times' a wastin' when it comes to puppies! lol

*crossing fingers for a quick response from the "owners"*

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2010, 12:38 am

I love clickers for dogs that act like that. My parent's Pomeranian was all barky and nasty when they got him. I spent a day with a clicker with him - and kangaroo lung if I remember correctly. No eye contact, but a click and tossed treat for every sniff, and eventually Mr. Mouthy decided that I was ok.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2010, 2:52 am

It may be because she's in pain, too. I've seen that with puppies that had to stay in at the vet for a long time. Not much time for trying to set up visits into the kennel-cage that are positive :neutral:

I've seen it in adults, too, but usually properly socialized and adjusted dogs have met enough people that don't poke them with needles or poke the hurty bits that they are ok with it.

When I worked at the animal hospital, I'm pretty sure it was 5 days from the delivery of the registered letter to claim the animal, but obviously this may vary from business to business. Unfortunately her story is a common theme - (even if it was actually an accident) people not only get a pet they cannot afford, but they don't put in the effort to keep it safe(it gets hit by a car, has a fall, etc, etc, ETC because it isn't being watched or supervised properly), and then can't afford to deal with the consequences so they dump the animal.

Thanks for taking an interest in her.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » May 26th, 2010, 3:42 am

Those "owners" own(ed) the whole litter... Mom is around 3-4 years old and has had five "accidental" breedings so far (per my vet). Usually at least a few puppies from each litter and up needing medical care after they have been sold to unsuspecting families, and Concord is a fairly small place... I guess our vet has treated most of them for various issues, and all at a young age.
This puppy came in at 8 weeks old, and was the *oldest* so far, which speaks volumes right there. The rest were sold/placed between 4-6 weeks of age.
The staff thinks they were going to keep this one for breeding purposes, but now that she's hurt... she's probably not much use to those... people.
Lisa told me that the puppy was terrified to be inside and didn't know how to walk on a regular floor for almost a week... it just boggles my mind.
I don't know the people in question, just relating whatever info the vet staff shared w/me. Our county is notorious for deeming Pit Bulls as unadoptable and euthanizing them, if they are owner-surrendered or picked up as strays.
So, I would imagine that the byb-business is booming in our parts as long as one of the parents of those unfortunate puppies happens to be a Pit Bull, or at least "looks" like one... God forbid some of those idiots got a job to support themselves... much easier to churn out a litter twice a year and make a living that way.
People just disgust me to no end most of the time.

Poor skinny little thing... if nothing else I will definitely spend some time w/her until her breeders decide what to do with her. :rolleyes2:
I also sincerely hope I don't run into them.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 26th, 2010, 10:16 am

Poor baby! That is so good of you to help her out Christine!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » May 26th, 2010, 10:45 am

amazincc wrote:I also sincerely hope I don't run into them.
I kinda hope you do, and don't be bashful. We WILL take up a collection for your bail. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » May 26th, 2010, 11:27 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:
I kinda hope you do, and don't be bashful. We WILL take up a collection for your bail. :)

I would donate to the bail fund!
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » May 26th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Okay...I've got a rescue committed to helping her with future vet bills (if needed)...:) and John's resigned sigh of..."another rescue?" lol

btw...If everyone can give a certain pit bull named Oreo a big push, that'd be awesome! She really does need to find a home of her own...she's going on 6 months here!

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » May 27th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
I kinda hope you do, and don't be bashful.

x2!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » June 3rd, 2010, 1:11 pm

She'll be *mine* this Saturday!!! :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2010, 1:17 pm

sweet!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm

Woot! For keeps or "fostering"... :rolleyes2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » June 3rd, 2010, 1:35 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Woot! For keeps or "fostering"... :rolleyes2:

Fostering!!! If all goes well, she'll go to Erin... as soon as Oreo finds a forever home. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » June 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm

Yay!!!!

How has she been responding to your visits? Any improvement?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby TheRedQueen » June 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm

amazincc wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Woot! For keeps or "fostering"... :rolleyes2:

Fostering!!! If all goes well, she'll go to Erin... as soon as Oreo finds a forever home. :wink:

Oreo's headed to a new *cough* foster (hopefully a failure...as she REALLY is looking for a friend for her female pit) soon...

Christine, I sent you a PM back...we have a flyball tourney June 12-13...and we might be able to get transport for her then!

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk